Nike Hoops Summit | Syracusefan.com

Nike Hoops Summit

T

tee1222

USA getting hammered early. Down by 15. I swear it, the twins are just ball hogs. I don't see either of them making their teammates better. We saw it at McDowell's when tweedle dee ran the point and +/- headed south. Also, no centers on team USA and World team has three centers 6'11 up. Not a great roster move. This isn't McDs. This game is supposed to be competitive, not just a high flying dunk festival.

Give me some winners. Like Beast. BJ. :)
Just checked 2013 recruits and Dakari "Dream School" Johnson would have been the center we could have gone with, but he's an inside scorer. Not exactly a shot intimidator. Maybe Kingsley would have fit the bill.

It's on ESPN2, nearing the end of the first half. Come on USA!

They cut it to 6, then Gordon fouled Wiggins while he was heaving a three point prayer. Hits all three freebies, World has a 9 point lead at the half. Really silly foul.

Edit: Tweedle dee actually did facilitate some for his teammates, but I was even more impressed with Wiggins and his unselfishness. He did seem to find his boys a few easy looks in the first half.

I'm all for Jimmy B. & staff finding the diamonds in the rough...Hakim, Moten...etc. BUT when a stud commits...Paul Harris (we all expected more), Dion, Ennis it's good for our image that top players consider us as a destination. Unfortunately developing a player in 4 years (C.J. Fair) is not the image a high school player wants and even more disturbing ...the NBA frowns upon. We need to have our players in these BS type all star games just for exposer for future potential recruits.

I'm all for Jimmy B. & staff finding the diamonds in the rough...Hakim, Moten...etc. BUT when a stud commits...Paul Harris (we all expected more), Dion, Ennis it's good for our image that top players consider us as a destination. Unfortunately developing a player in 4 years (C.J. Fair) is not the image a high school player wants and even more disturbing ...the NBA frowns upon. We need to have our players in these BS type all star games just for exposer for future potential recruits.
You're right about needing these guys in BS all star games, but the selection is biased.
I would not call Tyler Roberson a diamond in the rough, unless you go by ESPN's "expertise".
Bobby Portis
Rondae Jefferson
Vonleh

I know how people make a big deal about Vonleh, but he looks lost every single game I have watched. Never dominates a game. Roberson does.

Sorry, I respect Rondae's defense and Vonleh's all around game, but neither of these three are better than Roberson.
This is a popularity contest and we are not on the right side of this battle.

Roberson is not a diamond in the rough. Best player in the state of NJ. Won a state championship. Best player in the regional game. He would not have been invisible in any of these games.

It's a joke by now.

Put it another way, shoe on the other foot. If we picked Vonleh, Indiana gets Roberson, does anyone really think that these selections wouldn't have been "adjusted"?
:rolling:

You're right about needing these guys in BS all star games, but the selection is biased.
I would not call Tyler Roberson a diamond in the rough, unless you go by ESPN's "expertise".
Bobby Portis
Rondae Jefferson
Vonleh

I know how people make a big deal about Vonleh, but he looks lost every single game I have watched. Never dominates a game. Roberson does.

Sorry, I respect Rondae's defense and Vonleh's all around game, but neither of these three are better than Roberson.

Roberson is not a diamond in the rough. Best player in the state of NJ. Won a state championship. Best player in the regional game. He would not have been invisible in any of these games.

It's a joke by now.

Outside of the top 10 it's a crapshoot. A few months ago Rysheed Jordan was in the 60's now he's 22. Allerik Freeman, Stanford Robinson were all much higher, Kuran Iverson lower... Mitch McGary top 5 last year, down to 22 in his class.

From all that i've seen Tyler Roberson seems to be the real deal. Again I really wanted him for Nova. I was optimistic Nova'd get him. And then I heard we offered BJ, and I thought, alright he'd be a fine backup plan if we don't land Roberson, and then you guys got em both!

Rondae Jefferson is a pretty good player. He deserves to be anywhere from 17-40. He plays great defense and rebounds relentlessly. They talk about motor in football, he's got motor... That being said, he can't be much better if at all of a rebounder than Roberson. He(Tyler) averages like 11 pg if i recall!

Haven't seen Vonleh or Portis play. Ennis is getting his deserved credit, but like his brother Dylan, he was kind of a late riser in the recruiting scheme.

Any idea if they're going to replay the game. I love seeing good hsbb :)

Outside of the top 10 it's a crapshoot. A few months ago Rysheed Jordan was in the 60's now he's 22. Allerik Freeman, Stanford Robinson were all much higher, Kuran Iverson lower... Mitch McGary top 5 last year, down to 22 in his class.

From all that i've seen Tyler Roberson seems to be the real deal. Again I really wanted him for Nova. I was optimistic Nova'd get him. And then I heard we offered BJ, and I thought, alright he'd be a fine backup plan if we don't land Roberson, and then you guys got em both!

Rondae Jefferson is a pretty good player. He deserves to be anywhere from 17-40. He plays great defense and rebounds relentlessly. They talk about motor in football, he's got motor... That being said, he can't be much better if at all of a rebounder than Roberson. He(Tyler) averages like 11 pg if i recall!

Haven't seen Vonleh or Portis play. Ennis is getting his deserved credit, but like his brother Dylan, he was kind of a late riser in the recruiting scheme.

Don't think there is any bias tee, Cuse has to be one of the top 10 programs in cbb, I wouldn't even argue that Indiana is more storied as of late.

Don't think there is any bias tee, Cuse has to be one of the top 10 programs in cbb, I wouldn't even argue that Indiana is more storied as of late.
Ah, maybe you guys are right about this. I just hate Kenturkey so much, it gets in the way of how good we have it here. :)

They are replaying this game tomorrow at 9am on ESPNU.
Might replay it again during the week too but you never know. This could be the last time they show it. It wasn't that bad. Competitive for a few spurts as USA did make a couple of comebacks (I believe they got it within 3 during the 3rd quarter and again made a run middle of the 4th).

Bobby Portis
Rondae Jefferson
Vonleh

It's a joke by now.

It's such a joke these ESPN guys. I actually submitted a question and it was answered by Biancardi/Telep in their chat earlier in week. I asked about Roberson and that it was "shameful" how he was omitted from at least the regular Jordan game. They both like him but thought "shameful" was too strong of a comment on my part, lol. They said some b.s. about how he needs to show more motor/rebounding/consistency which seem to be strengths of his! They also said he didn't do any shoe camps so perhaps that was a snub reason as well? I don't listen to these dopes.

It's such a joke these ESPN guys. I actually submitted a question and it was answered by Biancardi/Telep in their chat earlier in week. I asked about Roberson and that it was "shameful" how he was omitted from at least the regular Jordan game. They both like him but thought "shameful" was too strong of a comment on my part, lol. They said some b.s. about how he needs to show more motor/rebounding/consistency which seems to strenghts of his! They also said he didn't do any shoe camps so perhaps that was a snub reason as well? I don't listen to these dopes.
The rebounding part especially.

Better still, you should have asked those tools how Roberson did against their "boy" Karl Towns.
Uh, um, stutter, stutter, uh um, but Towns is going to Kentucky, uh, ummm, stutter.

any chance he chose to play in the regional game instead, or couldn't play in both? The regional game still featured some pretty good comp.

Boom!

The rebounding part especially.

Better still, you should have asked those tools how Roberson did against their "boy" Karl Towns.
Uh, um, stutter, stutter, uh um, but Towns is going to Kentucky, uh, ummm, stutter.

THOMAS BRYANT has been invited to participate with USA basketball later this spring. Is this the game he will possibly be invited to participate in a couple years from now? He is on track to be SU biggest target and possible recruit in a long time.

If it's true that he (Roberson) didn't participate in shoe camps then I agree that it's tough making the "BIG" all star games. Bobby Johnson said that B.J. went under the radar due to the lack of summer exposure. I love watching videos of our/potential recruits but all we see is the positives of their game. Every shot is a swish, everyone has a handle, and every pass is pinpoint. What I do love seeing is on the big stage how B.J. raised his game to another level to beat what was considered the unbeatable Chester team...you would of thought it was UNLV vs Duke (from back in the 90's).
Getting the character type recruits is the key for us to keep this amazing run.

What I do love seeing is on the big stage how B.J. raised his game to another level to beat what was considered the unbeatable Chester team...you would of thought it was UNLV vs Duke (from back in the 90's).

I give BJ credit for raising his game vs. Chester, the last time, but don't overlook the fact that he choked a fat one the 3 times before, playing Chester. 6, 7, and 11 points with tons of missed shots. Not important though. I wish him well and he's got alot of potential.

Watched the second half of the Hoops Summit. Rondae earned his invite, and Jabari and Julius Randle were impressive. Overall a great class, but it didn't mesh as well as it did for the World team. The Harrison twins haven't impressed me too much during these all star games. The talent is there, but they aren't leaders. Their Fort Bend team, always lost games they shouldn't have. Love Kasey Hill's speed. They needed Dakari or Chris Walker, big time.

I give BJ credit for raising his game vs. Chester, the last time, but don't overlook the fact that he choked a fat one the 3 times before, playing Chester. 6, 7, and 11 points with tons of missed shots. Not important though. I wish him well and he's got alot of potential.

Watched the second half of the Hoops Summit. Rondae earned his invite, and Jabari and Julius Randle were impressive. Overall a great class, but it didn't mesh as well as it did for the World team. The Harrison twins haven't impressed me too much during these all star games. The talent is there, but they aren't leaders. Their Fort Bend team, always lost games they shouldn't have. Love Kasey Hill's speed. They needed Dakari or Chris Walker, big time.

Yeah, Kasey Hill was impressive in that Montverde/St. Benedict's game. He is going to have a major impact next year at Florida.

If it's true that he (Roberson) didn't participate in shoe camps then I agree that it's tough making the "BIG" all star games. Bobby Johnson said that B.J. went under the radar due to the lack of summer exposure. I love watching videos of our/potential recruits but all we see is the positives of their game. Every shot is a swish, everyone has a handle, and every pass is pinpoint. What I do love seeing is on the big stage how B.J. raised his game to another level to beat what was considered the unbeatable Chester team...you would of thought it was UNLV vs Duke (from back in the 90's).
Roberson played in the LeBron camp over the last 2 years and was considered one of the best players last year at the Reebok camp, where he famously gave Jermaine "Angel Soft" Lawrence the biz! Tyler made the rounds during the circuit and definitely didn't lack exposure nationally. For whatever reason he is kind of being slept on despite being a consensus top 50 player. All good tho, because he'll bring his game and not bullsh!t rankings on the court next season.
Beast mode.jpg

Travesty that Ennis wasn't selected to this game (unless I am missing a justified reason he wasn't). He went toe-to-toe with Kasey Hill against Montverde and Rysheed Jordan (who is listed as a 5-star) had no answer for Tyler offensively or defensively in the Derby City Classic.

Travesty that Ennis wasn't selected to this game (unless I am missing a justified reason he wasn't). He went toe-to-toe with Kasey Hill against Montverde and Rysheed Jordan (who is listed as a 5-star) had no answer for Tyler offensively or defensively in the Derby City Classic.

I don't know how they base their rankings, but Kasey is a more explosive athlete. He will be the better pro, and has better pro potential. Sheed Jordan is also a better athlete. I think that they value that over current production. Tyler is a better basketball player. Sheed's pretty good too tho.

Francis, I bring it up every time, but that was just about the time that he said "um, University of Syracuse"

I don't know how they base their rankings, but Kasey is a more explosive athlete. He will be the better pro, and has better pro potential. Sheed Jordan is also a better athlete. I think that they value that over current production. Tyler is a better basketball player. Sheed's pretty good too tho.

Francis, I bring it up every time, but that was just about the time that he said "um, University of Syracuse"
Yup lol. It's funny because he looks so shy and uncomfortable when doing interviews, but he's the complete opposite as far as demeanor when he steps on the court.