Nike+Lebron+Duke commercial | Syracusefan.com

Nike+Lebron+Duke commercial

Zelda Zonk

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Tourney Record
Is there a rationale for why this is permissible under the NCAA?

It's a 2-3 minute commercial, glorifying one university. A pretty significant recruiting advantage. Have I missed other corporate+colllege works in the media? Talk me out of my outrage.

It's a 2-3 minute commercial, glorifying one university. A pretty significant recruiting advantage. Have I missed other corporate+colllege works in the media? Talk me out of my outrage.
Wow. Sounds pukey. :vomit:Didn't notice it. Reminds me of the Coach K texting Justice Winslow commercial last year but worse.

How is that even allowed? A shoe company, a professional, and an NCAA participating school. Hmmmm...sounds familiar.

Not to mention the team Duke is playing is wearing orange.

A nod from JB, but no actual representation of an NCAA team. Seems vastly different. Coach K has been in commercials before. I think he's entitled to that.

But the lebron/Duke thing rather explicitly presents a pathway to the NBA going through Duke. Actual uniforms, Cameron(?)... And all endorsed by the game's best player. It pretty much implies Lebron thinks Duke is the best way to accomplish your dreams.

I haven't seen the commercial, but how is this different than Nike paying Duke for their IP brand rights, and then Duke airing a commercial featuring paid actors?

A nod from JB, but no actual representation of an NCAA team. Seems vastly different. Coach K has been in commercials before. I think he's entitled to that.

But the lebron/Duke thing rather explicitly presents a pathway to the NBA going through Duke. Actual uniforms, Cameron(?)... And all endorsed by the game's best player. It pretty much implies Lebron thinks Duke is the best way to accomplish your dreams.
So what? I don't see the issue. Syracuse could do the same thing. In fact, we regularity tell prospective students and recruits that we're a good path to an eventual career (including one in the NBA), and we regularity air commercials.

In fact, we regularly do both at the same time. Sure, those commercials don't focus on basketball players and/or a path to the NBA because it's probably a terrible RoI, but I don't see what would stop us if we wanted to.

So what? I don't see the issue. Syracuse could do the same thing. In fact, we regularity tell prospective students and recruits that we're a good path to an eventual career (including one in the NBA), and we regularity air commercials.

In fact, we regularly do both at the same time. Sure, those commercials don't focus on basketball players and/or a path to the NBA because it's probably a terrible RoI, but I don't see what would stop us if we wanted to.
I see the difference as this one being:
• a collaboration between the No.1 NBA player, the N0.1 shoe manufacturer, the No.1 League... to 'push/promote' one 'amateur' program as the most romantic and certain avenue to the NBA.

Us telling a recruit we can get them to the league is infinitely less impactful than seeing a 3 minute epic hollywood production during the first game of the NBA season. I hesitate to use 'the C-word,' but it's almost like collusion to benefit Duke, and it's not a Duke-sponsored commercial. When we run our Hands Up High thing (which i love), it's self-promotion. Everyone has their own little ads that run during their own games. When the three premier 'institutions' collaborate to shill for a third-party, amateur institution, it just feels wrong. I get that it's a nuanced distinction, but i would wish the NCAA would have an interest in preventing this sort of thing.

I mean, Everyone who recognized JB in that commercial did so because he's the HC of Syracuse. HE IS the representation of an NCAA team. It's pretty much the same thing.

I see the difference as this one being:
• a collaboration between the No.1 NBA player, the N0.1 shoe manufacturer, the No.1 League... to 'push/promote' one 'amateur' program as the most romantic and certain avenue to the NBA.

Us telling a recruit we can get them to the league is infinitely less impactful than seeing a 3 minute epic hollywood production during the first game of the NBA season. I hesitate to use 'the C-word,' but it's almost like collusion to benefit Duke, and it's not a Duke-sponsored commercial. When we run our Hands Up High thing (which i love), it's self-promotion. Everyone has their own little ads that run during their own games. When the three premier 'institutions' collaborate to shill for a third-party, amateur institution, it just feels wrong. I get that it's a nuanced distinction, but i would wish the NCAA would have an interest in preventing this sort of thing.

LOL they even look like our 2003 uniforms.

I like this one best.

I've never seen that.
Oddly, i've never re-watched the games from that year's run. I bought Ragman's dvd, but never watched it. I think i bought another DVD about the season or the tournament and never watched it. I think, at the time, i was 'saving them' for a special occasion, and then time just passed... Now seems like a good time, though.

Colleges license their likeness as they please. I don't see why it would be a violation or seen as a recruiting advantage. For example, a dozen or so schools sold licenses for their names and jerseys to be used in the NBA 2K video game over the last few years. As long as current college players aren't being depicted, it's fair game.

I mean, Everyone who recognized JB in that commercial did so because he's the HC of Syracuse. HE IS the representation of an NCAA team. It's pretty much the same thing.
I think there's a world of difference. A half-second of JB nodding where he's not even in Syracuse-branded clothing, versus a cinematic sequence that explicitly glorifies Duke? I'm thinking of it like when you see a pro athlete in a commercial, but the company hasn't paid the league or team for the rights to use his team's logo/branding, so they put him in a generic uniform with similar colors... Kinda what they did with JB — not showing "Syracuse" skirted some rules, which i assumed had been instituted by the NCAA. I guess i shouldn't have ass-u-me-d.

Colleges license their likeness as they please. I don't see why it would be a violation or seen as a recruiting advantage. For example, a dozen or so schools sold licenses for their names and jerseys to be used in the NBA 2K video game over the last few years. As long as current college players aren't being depicted, it's fair game.
I'm not being argumentative. I genuinely want to understand the way this works.
I thought the NCAA has the rights to license school names to video game companies. And then the NCAA compensates those schools or it's all put into a pot to distribute to everyone. I would not think it would be acceptable for the NCAA to only license one school for that type of purpose. Because it would represent an advantage given. I haven't played 2k in a while — is there really only a small selection of schools represented? I did have college games (football and basketball) years ago, and if i recall correctly, all D1 schools were represented. [I think... Did they really model that many schools' stadiums?]

Okay, whatever. So, if what Duke just did doesn't violate any rules, why aren't more schools taking advantage of this? I wrote a commercial for a video game relatively recently. I'll write one pro bono to feature Melo with Pearl highlights and... Darn. Melo's got to get a new shoe contract first...

I think there's a world of difference. A half-second of JB nodding where he's not even in Syracuse-branded clothing, versus a cinematic sequence that explicitly glorifies Duke? I'm thinking of it like when you see a pro athlete in a commercial, but the company hasn't paid the league or team for the rights to use his team's logo/branding, so they put him in a generic uniform with similar colors... Kinda what they did with JB — not showing "Syracuse" skirted some rules, which i assumed had been instituted by the NCAA. I guess i shouldn't have ass-u-me-d.

Plus, it was a commercial for Carmelo. He actually went to Syracuse and accomplished something. It was a part of his past and history.

This was a commercial about a fictional kid who goes to Duke and plays with Lebron...both presented as the best and things to aspire to for young players.

I think some just like to play devil’s advocate sometimes. We all know if Cuse was in that commercial instead of Duke, we’d be going nuts and people would be saying it would help recruiting.

I thought the NCAA has the rights to license school names to video game companies. And then the NCAA compensates those schools or it's all put into a pot to distribute to everyone. I would not think it would be acceptable for the NCAA to only license one school for that type of purpose. Because it would represent an advantage given. I haven't played 2k in a while — is there really only a small selection of schools represented? I did have college games (football and basketball) years ago, and if i recall correctly, all D1 schools were represented. [I think... Did they really model that many schools' stadiums?]

Okay, whatever. So, if what Duke just did doesn't violate any rules, why aren't more schools taking advantage of this? I wrote a commercial for a video game relatively recently. I'll write one pro bono to feature Melo with Pearl highlights and... Darn. Melo's got to get a new shoe contract first...

Melo is still with Jordan Brand, he just doesn’t have a signature sneaker anymore. I would imagine they’re going to move on to younger guys like Kawhi Leonard, rather than older guys whose sneakers don’t sell as well anymore like Melo and CP3.

The NCAA used to license all teams for college video games. Since the Ed O'bannon case, they stopped doing that. But some schools have individually agreed to licenses with 2K. Schools have the rights to their own likeness, separate from the NCAA.

The NCAA might or might not get a cut of the individual licensing deals, but doesn't have much, if any, say in how a college licenses itself or to whom.

But remember, college football and basketball aren't commercial enterprises ...

:rolling:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom