NIL and Portal Question | Syracusefan.com

NIL and Portal Question

bt4421

Walk On
I don't see a recent thread. Forgive me if recently discussed and of course feel free to delete. But my question is a simple one. That is at least I think.

For those of us who are very disenchanted with the direction of college athletics like myself, I feel hoops have been much more impacted that football to date. True or false? If true, is it just a matter of time?

I might actually hang in there with SU football and college football because it at least seems to me to be able to provide more roster stability throughout the madness basically simply because of the size of the roster in comparison to hoops.

I don't see a recent thread. Forgive me if recently discussed and of course feel free to delete. But my question is a simple one. That is at least I think.

For those of us who are very disenchanted with the direction of college athletics like myself, I feel hoops have been much more impacted that football to date. True or false? If true, is it just a matter of time?

I might actually hang in there with SU football and college football because it at least seems to me to be able to provide more roster stability throughout the madness basically simply because of the size of the roster in comparison to hoops.

Think it seems more impactful in bball because roster sizes are so small

So losing 1 or 2 guys is a massive deal.

Football has lost a few guys but also has brought in some solid transfers as their replacements. Losing a couple guys isn’t as catastrophic with the size of the rosters in my opinion

Think it seems more impactful in bball because roster sizes are so small

So losing 1 or 2 guys is a massive deal.

Football has lost a few guys but also has brought in some solid transfers as their replacements. Losing a couple guys isn’t as catastrophic with the size of the rosters in my opinion
Agree. With football, you have 22 starters so player movement is not as impactful as basketball. And tbh I feel like middle-tier schools at Cuse are snagging good talent from the factories.

Are entering mid-major territory? We're a bottom P5 team that has basically now come out and said we aren't doing NIL(not the way we need to anyway), pushed Weitsman out, and are watching our best leave. Sure we get leftovers from other places but they aren't as good as what's leaving. Why do ppl think this will be a net zero equation? I don't feel good about the future of SU athletics in today's world of NIL/Portal and our public position of we're not doing that.

Are entering mid-major territory? We're a bottom P5 team that has basically now come out and said we aren't doing NIL(not the way we need to anyway), pushed Weitsman out, and are watching our best leave. Sure we get leftovers from other places but they aren't as good as what's leaving. Why do ppl think this will be a net zero equation? I don't feel good about the future of SU athletics in today's world of NIL/Portal and our public position of we're not doing that.
SU has no public position of "not doing that." It's a bit too much hysteria over all this. Syracuse in football is in the same position they've been in for 20 years. Basketball it's too early to tell what will happen.

Nobody thinks the DB players we gained from the portal this year are likely to be as good this year as the players we lost. But they are RS freshman that were highly rated in HS that will have more time to develop and can produce longer than the year we would have had both of those players. Plus we can add some other players at other positions like OL for example that are not replacing players we lost to the portal. We can get the portal to a net zero. Will it be? Not sure but it could be. Could even be a net positive some years. I like how we've managed so far. NIL hasn't killed football yet. But we will need to find a way to be at least fairly competitive regarding NIL. We'll see I guess.

SU has no public position of "not doing that." It's a bit too much hysteria over all this. Syracuse in football is in the same position they've been in for 20 years. Basketball it's too early to tell what will happen.
I admit I do not pay, I'm getting very little information from just headlines but there's a narrative being put together. Schools like A&M being called out for buying entire classes but apparently it's legal. Wildhack publicly stated we will not buy players Syracuse AD on NIL: We're not going to buy players. Edwards announces entry into the portal at the same time Weitsman announces he is not longer supporting SU athletics. Edwards states it had to do with NIL. Chestnut leaves for NIL money. Recruiting classes in the 80s. I respect trying to stay positive, but have we seen anything positive regarding NIL yet? Too much hysteria? Not sure about that.

I admit I do not pay, I'm getting very little information from just headlines but there's a narrative being put together. Schools like A&M being called out for buying entire classes but apparently it's legal. Wildhack publicly stated we will not buy players Syracuse AD on NIL: We're not going to buy players. Edwards announces entry into the portal at the same time Weitsman announces he is not longer supporting SU athletics. Edwards states it had to do with NIL. Chestnut leaves for NIL money. Recruiting classes in the 80s. I respect trying to stay positive, but have we seen anything positive regarding NIL yet? Too much hysteria? Not sure about that.
Be patient. The Wild West days only last a short while. All the factories believe they have the formula and getveveryone excited for a few years. Only one school gets crowned champ each season. Once the moneybags realize they have been played the fool, they will slow the flow of cash or cut it off completely.

The ROI will be measured and reason will prevail to a point. NIL wi level off, measurements will come into play, analysis will become part of the game. More schools will have their NIL processes in place. Equilibrium will be restored. Such is the way of everything…until the next craze…

Be patient. The Wild West days only last a short while. All the factories believe they have the formula and getveveryone excited for a few years. Only one school gets crowned champ each season. Once the moneybags realize they have been played the fool, they will slow the flow of cash or cut it off completely.

The ROI will be measured and reason will prevail to a point. NIL wi level off, measurements will come into play, analysis will become part of the game. More schools will have their NIL processes in place. Equilibrium will be restored. Such is the way of everything…until the next craze…
I do hope you're right. I just know there's alot of awfully big belt buckles down south that don't care much for reason. They just want to do it bigger than the next guy. Big money with big egos down there. The other things to consider is sure, with patience, we may see equilibrium, however, this program doesn't have as much of a bailout fund as others. We've been mostly near the bottom since leaving the BE, this could push us down even further in the immediate future. It will make it harder to recover once things do balance out.

There’s plenty of positive regarding NIL. Sure we lost an overpriced Edwards but so far we’ve picked up JJ and Westry and they didn’t come free. In football, we list Duce and Carter, but we didn’t lose Gadsen, Wax, Shrader etc who all get NIL. Last year we could have lost Tucker, Jones, Bergeron etc but we didn’t. Why? Rumor was Miami was offering Jones $300k. Athletes who care said they’ve gotten 16 football players NIL and are now working with lax players. 315 worked with 13 athletes last year and are aiming for 30 this upcoming year. We may not have as much as some of the larger alumni based schools but we aren’t poor either.

There’s plenty of positive regarding NIL. Sure we lost an overpriced Edwards but so far we’ve picked up JJ and Westry and they didn’t come free. In football, we list Duce and Carter, but we didn’t lose Gadsen, Wax, Shrader etc who all get NIL. Last year we could have lost Tucker, Jones, Bergeron etc but we didn’t. Why? Rumor was Miami was offering Jones $300k. Athletes who care said they’ve gotten 16 football players NIL and are now working with lax players. 315 worked with 13 athletes last year and are aiming for 30 this upcoming year. We may not have as much as some of the larger alumni based schools but we aren’t poor either.
Thanks Bees. *Takes one step back from ledge*

I do hope you're right. I just know there's alot of awfully big belt buckles down south that don't care much for reason. They just want to do it bigger than the next guy. Big money with big egos down there. The other things to consider is sure, with patience, we may see equilibrium, however, this program doesn't have as much of a bailout fund as others. We've been mostly near the bottom since leaving the BE, this could push us down even further in the immediate future. It will make it harder to recover once things do balance out.
Fools and their money are soon parted. Yes, there are a lot of fools. However, bankers, wise investors, chess masters, marathoners, etc., win by being patient, steady, consistent. Being wise with the resources you have is more important than trying to emulate the fools that have more money than they know what to do with.

Have you ever seen Warren Buffett be foolish with resources? He has the resources to be a little foolish with and he refuses to be foolish with them. Just an observation. See Harvard, Yale, et al.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom