NJ | Syracusefan.com

NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepThrowIt

Walk On
For those who don't agree that NJ should be a recruiting priority and/or the talent levels are overblown...there have already been 19 BCS commitments from the state. This is remarkable for June. Can't believe Syracuse doesn't have at least one.

from what you have told us, it should not be a surprise

hopefully over the next few years relationships can be mended and we can start landing some early commits from some Jersey Boys

NJ should absolutely be a priority. I just think it made sense to concentrate on rebuilding NYS first. If we succeed (and we are), NJ should follow soon enough.

I agree. We need to step it up there. Its within the 6 hour radius where families can drive, we are in the ACC now and Rutgers is in flux. I know coaches were upset when P&D were let go but they had stopped sending their kids here 3 years prior. Grob got some of them to come on board but not the numbers or high quality we were at 12 years prior. NJ should be #2 on our targeted list and we missed out on a couple of great opportunities which could have helped in our recruiting there. Its the only place I think we need to pick it up big time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm showing 21 BCS commits but 8 are to Temple or Rutgers so 13 BCS commits really. Guys with offer sheets of Temple, Rutgers, Buffalo, and/or UConn aren't really that exciting.

Those 13 others have committed to Pitt, Penn State, Auburn, Miami (FL), WVU, Alabama, Florida, Penn State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Penn State, Penn State, & Ohio State with offer lists a mile long including Syracuse. What could we be doing diffently that would net us those types of recruits over all of those other schools?

I agree. We need to step it up there. Its within the 6 hour radius where families can drive, we are in the ACC now and Rutgers is in flux. I know coaches were upset when P&D were let go but they had stopped sending their kids here 3 years prior. Grob got some of them to come on board but not the numbers or high quality we were at 12 years prior. NJ should be #2 on our targeted list and we missed out on a couple of great opportunities which could have helped in our recruiting there. Its the only place I think we need to pick it up big time.

Who did Robinson get out of NJ who is better than Krautman, Spruill, Davis, Mungwa or Chibane?

Who did Robinson get out of NJ who is better than Krautman, Spruill, Davis, Mungwa or Chibane?

Per the ex-gf during the GRob era we landed Grant Mayes, David Stevens, Jarel Lowery, Chaz Cervino, Oli Haney, Lamar Middleton, Mike Mele, and Andrey Baskin.

A couple of nice players but not exactly a murderer's row there. Baskin was the only with a big offer sheet but of course he never made it.

For those who don't agree that NJ should be a recruiting priority and/or the talent levels are overblown...there have already been 19 BCS commitments from the state. This is remarkable for June. Can't believe Syracuse doesn't have at least one.

Can't be argued. NJ was the lifeblood of the program during the top years of the P era. If we could get a foothold down there again, it would be a great supplement to the approach Marrone is taking with NYC / LI, the solid work we're doing in PA, and our improved recruiting down south.

Can't be argued. NJ was the lifeblood of the program during the top years of the P era. If we could get a foothold down there again, it would be a great supplement to the approach Marrone is taking with NYC / LI, the solid work we're doing in PA, and our improved recruiting down south.

NJ has talent but it isn't the end all ... frankly if we can still pull talent from GA, NYC, MI, OH and now TX I can live with that ... what do Freeney, the McIntosh's, Bullock, McNabb, Harrison, Tebucky Jones, Walter Reyes, Delone Carter, Jameel McClain, Clifton Smith, Morlon Greenwood, Doug Hogue, Derrell Smith etc. have in common? None are from NJ .. not sure how its the end all lifeblood of the Cuse program. I understand that there are some really good players that have come out of NJ, I won't deny it but we can be successful without it. Would I love to see us get some of the best talent in NJ? Sure ... but I would also love to see us get the top talent in every state. I still insist the importance of that state is much more overstated now since we entered the ACC and are now able to pull talent from the Southeast. Quite frankly when they get to triple digits in D1 commits like GA, CA, FL or TX then I'll set up camp in NJ.

Where did I say they weren't better? What I said was after 3 years of nothing, Grob got some but not the numbers or quality we had been. I didn't compare them ti what Marrone has gotten which is even better but still not where we used to be. We are far behind in NJ.

Per the ex-gf during the GRob era we landed Grant Mayes, David Stevens, Jarel Lowery, Chaz Cervino, Oli Haney, Lamar Middleton, Mike Mele, and Andrey Baskin.

A couple of nice players but not exactly a murderer's row there. Baskin was the only with a big offer sheet but of course he never made it.

Exactly. Ok players, certainly much better than P's last few years when the NJ coaches abandoned us. Marrone has done even better with the quality but not to the point if us having any kind of hold down there like we used to and need to get too.

NJ has talent but it isn't the end all ... frankly if we can still pull talent from GA, NYC, MI, OH and now TX I can live with that ... what do Freeney, the McIntosh's, Bullock, McNabb, Harrison, Tebucky Jones, Walter Reyes, Delone Carter, Jameel McClain, Clifton Smith, Morlon Greenwood, Doug Hogue, Derrell Smith etc. have in common? None are from NJ .. not sure how its the end all lifeblood of the Cuse program. I understand that there are some really good players that have come out of NJ, I won't deny it but we can be successful without it. Would I love to see us get some of the best talent in NJ? Sure ... but I would also love to see us get the top talent in every state. I still insist the importance of that state is much more overstated now since we entered the ACC and are now able to pull talent from the Southeast. Quite frankly when they get to triple digits in D1 commits like GA, CA, FL or TX then I'll set up camp in NJ.

What all those kids except McNabb have in common is that they are all in the 6 hour radius which almost every coach mentions and targets for travel purposes. Get in on NJ strong and it is always there due to location. A state like Georgia is there as long as Adkins is around or Michigan as long as Wheatley is around. Cherry pick those locations as long as assts have contacts, but focus your recruiting on those 6 hours.

Exactly. Ok players, certainly much better than P's last few years when the NJ coaches abandoned us. Marrone has done even better with the quality but not to the point if us having any kind of hold down there like we used to and need to get too.

I guess I dont ever see the perceived "hold" we've ever had down there which is kind of highlighted in wfschrec's post.

We've never really done better than 2nd or 3rd tier NJ kids and that just doesn't excite me anymore than getting guys from wherever we get them now. IF we could get in there and break into the PSU stranglehold in NJ then it becomes a much better option. As it stands now, the big programs take their pick and the left overs and the ones that are looking at NJ, NY, Philly, and/or Conn for offers. IMHO, those kids just aren't worth any ramped up effort that requires being our #2 focus behind NYC.

I guess I dont ever see the perceived "hold" we've ever had down there which is kind of highlighted in wfschrec's post.

We've never really done better than 2nd or 3rd tier NJ kids and that just doesn't excite me anymore than getting guys from wherever we get them now. IF we could get in there and break into the PSU stranglehold in NJ then it becomes a much better option. As it stands now, the big programs take their pick and the left overs and the ones that are looking at NJ, NY, Philly, and/or Conn for offers. IMHO, those kids just aren't worth any ramped up effort that requires being our #2 focus behind NYC.

I concur completely. When have we ever gotten top tier talent out of NJ. Penn State, ND, heck even USC plugs guys out of there. P got second tier guys. Jared Jones, Tyree, good players but not kids we were beating the big boys for. Marrone may be off of where we were but he's made up for it with similar players from GA, OH, and MI.

What all those kids except McNabb have in common is that they are all in the 6 hour radius which almost every coach mentions and targets for travel purposes. Get in on NJ strong and it is always there due to location. A state like Georgia is there as long as Adkins is around or Michigan as long as Wheatley is around. Cherry pick those locations as long as assts have contacts, but focus your recruiting on those 6 hours.

And again not a single one is from NJ which further reinforces my statement that if you can get the best talent from any state ... whether its Connecticut, NY, OH, PA or even GA ... then take it ... NJ is not the end all ... and frankly now we are getting kids from the Southeast which play at a much higher level of competition to come here because we are now in the ACC which changes our recruiting dynamics completely ... its a new ERA in recruiting at SU ... this isn't 1980 anymore ... I don't understand why people don't realize this ... I'll take the top 10 in GA or FL over the top 10 in NJ any day ... and since we aren't getting the top tier in NJ I'll take middle tier players from the Southeast then the middle tier of NJ any day. With the advent of social media (something we do a terrible job of leveraging) and the distance SU now travels to play on the road the landscape has changed, hence our strategy has also got to change.

I concur completely. When have we ever gotten top tier talent out of NJ. Penn State, ND, heck even USC plugs guys out of there. P got second tier guys. Jared Jones, Tyree, good players but not kids we were beating the big boys for. Marrone may be off of where we were but he's made up for it with similar players from GA, OH, and MI.

We're actually getting better guys, at least based on offers, from GA, OH, and MI than the 2nd tier guys in NJ. NJ hs football gets alot of publicity but outside the top 20-30 recruits it isn't that exciting and 90% of those guys aren't staying local.

We're actually getting better guys, at least based on offers, from GA, OH, and MI than the 2nd tier guys in NJ. NJ hs football gets alot of publicity but outside the top 20-30 recruits it isn't that exciting and 90% of those guys aren't staying local.

Agreed ... but again if we are in on those top 30 guys I'm all for it ... essentially all I am saying is that we can't afford to go all in on the Garden State ... we are really making headway in talent rich states like GA, OH, PA and now TX ... I don't want to lose that momentum.

I think the top players we ever landed 'ranking and offer' wise from NJ would be Kevin Johnson, Johnnie Morant, and Rich Scanlon?

And again not a single one is from NJ which further reinforces my statement that if you can get the best talent from any state ... whether its Connecticut, NY, OH, PA or even GA ... then take it ... NJ is not the end all ... and frankly now we are getting kids from the Southeast which play at a much higher level of competition to come here because we are now in the ACC which changes our recruiting dynamics completely ... its a new ERA in recruiting at SU ... this isn't 1980 anymore ... I don't understand why people don't realize this ... I'll take the top 10 in GA or FL over the top 10 in NJ any day ... and since we aren't getting the top tier in NJ I'll take middle tier players from the Southeast then the middle tier of NJ any day. With the advent of social media (something we do a terrible job of leveraging) and the distance SU now travels to play on the road the landscape has changed, hence our strategy has also got to change.

Location over ass't coaches. Pretty simple.

Some of you also have short memories.

Location over ass't coaches. Pretty simple.

Some of you also have short memories.

No ... its more a case of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks ... of course once again we will just have to get the board members to straighten out Marrone since he is the one in charge of this and he isn't wasting his life in NJ chasing these prized recruits ... gee another offer to a FL CB today ... too bad he doesn't know what he is doing.

I think the top players we ever landed 'ranking and offer' wise from NJ would be Kevin Johnson, Johnnie Morant, and Rich Scanlon?

Not sure ... I know Q Spotwood was from Elizabeth ... pretty sure Darius was highly sought after but can't remember if he was a Jersey boy ... I thought he was ...

Spotwood?

Dulayne Morgan, 1st Team USA-Today All-American. Kevin Johnson, Super Prep Northeast Offensive Prospect of the Year, Johnnie Morant was a top 50 prospect by about every service. Darius, Tyree, Spotwood, Maurice McClain, Jared Jones, John Wellington were all Super Prep All-Americans as preps. Brad Patkochis (sp?) was a top ten prospect in Jersey that year. And that's just off the top of my head.

Dulayne Morgan, 1st Team USA-Today All-American. Kevin Johnson, Super Prep Northeast Offensive Prospect of the Year, Johnnie Morant was a top 50 prospect by about every service. Darius, Tyree, Spotwood, Maurice McClain, Jared Jones, John Wellington were all Super Prep All-Americans as preps. Brad Patkochis (sp?) was a top ten prospect in Jersey that year. And that's just off the top of my head.

And the list goes on and on. And NJ will always be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.