No GIFs, no glory... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No GIFs, no glory...

image.jpg

jordoo said:
I'm not sure what people have against bouncy females in GIF's. I feel we should not discriminate against this group of women.
A board without a few hot dog face girl gifs is really missing out

Judging by what can be uploaded prior to posting, jpegs and pngs are alright, gifs and animated gifs aren't.

Just tried posting a gif, but was only showing up as a hyperlink. Sometimes, a gif is the only way to respond to something. Words just don't do justice at times.

A good example(I think??) of a gif(yikes, I just noticed if I put the dot in front of it to let those less savvy know I was talking about a file, it was completely censored...so while I was ambivalent about gifs before, I am now drawn to side with those who are griping) was DNABB's Chuck Norris gif for his avatar. Possibly due to me using a different browser than most, or usuaully having dozens of tabs open and maybe running short on video memory(frustrating, because I have 8 GB, but maybe it has something to do with my video card being integrated into the motherboard), I just saw Chuck's face and thought he was being paid homage. However, for some reason one day, the avatar started moving and Chuck was getting kicked in the face. Suddenly, I had questions about DNABB's character. Although if he is reading this, I'd like him to know I've been drinking an ale (Full Sail) along with my lagers recently, due to them being on the sale shelf at my local drive thru LQ.

Not to derail the thread(feel free to reply privately if this seems not related enough to the original topic), but I am in need of some help here(it may help others as well, who knows). I fairly often get the windows 7 version of the hourglass when using my browser in general, and it always does it twice back to back. Also, when watching a streamed game(the only way I watch other than once at a sports bar this season), the video often locks up while the sound keeps rolling. This happens even when I have few tabs open and and plenty of memory available. I dont want to replace my computer after less than 2 years of use being it is fairly powerful, so any suggestions/questions would be extremely appreciated. I may even be willing to compensate for any advice that works. I've been missing far too much action in the games this year.

A good example(I think??) of a gif(yikes, I just noticed if I put the dot in front of it to let those less savvy know I was talking about a file, it was completely censored...so while I was ambivalent about gifs before, I am now drawn to side with those who are griping) was DNABB's Chuck Norris gif for his avatar. Possibly due to me using a different browser than most, or usuaully having dozens of tabs open and maybe running short on video memory(frustrating, because I have 8 GB, but maybe it has something to do with my video card being integrated into the motherboard), I just saw Chuck's face and thought he was being paid homage. However, for some reason one day, the avatar started moving and Chuck was getting kicked in the face. Suddenly, I had questions about DNABB's character. Although if he is reading this, I'd like him to know I've been drinking an ale (Full Sail) along with my lagers recently, due to them being on the sale shelf at my local drive thru LQ.

Not to derail the thread(feel free to reply privately if this seems not related enough to the original topic), but I am in need of some help here(it may help others as well, who knows). I fairly often get the windows 7 version of the hourglass when using my browser in general, and it always does it twice back to back. Also, when watching a streamed game(the only way I watch other than once at a sports bar this season), the video often locks up while the sound keeps rolling. This happens even when I have few tabs open and and plenty of memory available. I dont want to replace my computer after less than 2 years of use being it is fairly powerful, so any suggestions/questions would be extremely appreciated. I may even be willing to compensate for any advice that works. I've been missing far too much action in the games this year.
Google how to make your computer run faster. With 8gbs of ram your computer shouldn't be slowing down unless your running some graphic intensive programs. What browser are you using? I use chrome. It uses far less resources than IE and I think less than firefox. Also having tons of tabs open can use a lot of your computers memory.

Check to see what programs open automatically when your computer starts up. You really shouldn't be having any programs open other than those that completely necessary for your computer to operate. I'm a mac user who runs bootcamp so I'm not as well versed as others might be, but try googling ways to quicken your computer because there will be a variety of easy and simple methods to quicken your computer. Also try to get the program system mechanic. It can help immensly.

My posts must have been getting too many likes so they get deleted.

Seriously how weak sauce is that mods?
I was on topic posting my opinion, respond rather than delete please. Hitting too close to the mark I suppose.

CTO did you ever get an answer on this one?

My posts must have been getting too many likes so they get deleted.

Seriously how weak sauce is that mods?
I was on topic posting my opinion, respond rather than delete please. Hitting too close to the mark I suppose.

CTO did you ever get an answer on this one?
Not yet. But I am hopeful.

To paraphrase the godfather: a message board without gifs isn't a real message board.

This needs to be changed, this is getting ridiculous, enough is enough!

The explanation was in response to the video I was trying to post this morning of Boeheim running down the sidelines with his hands up and a big grin on his face. A poor little old lady just trying to post how happy our coach was. It was the only video I had, and it was a GIF. Didn't even know it. GIFs seem to be the new thing. Everyone is posting them on facebook. Where the video runs over and over again. I don't get the ban either. But I can see where it came from. But maybe a delay where a mod can see what it is before allowing it to be posted. Mine was not only harmless, but one of those rare moments where JB shows such pure emotion. Worth seeing over and over again. Someone found a non GIF version and eventually posted it.

Actually it was a GIF that someone was able to post of him.

I don't get the ban either. But I can see where it came from.

That's like the president banning all cars in the country because someone wasn't paying attention and hit his dog.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm wearing an orange "FREE GIFS" t-shirt to my next 'Cuse game.

Actually it was a GIF that someone was able to post of him.
Yeah I had to post it as a link in that thread instead of as an image on the board.

I don't think the solution is having the mods approve each post. Considering the amount of gifs that were being posted prior to the ban, I can't imagine how tedious that would be for the mods. They would have to go through tons of gif posts everyday. Also by the time the gif as been approved many threads will have moved onto the next page. Most users only read the most recents posts/pages in a thread. I think the best solution is to just create a site rule that images,videos, gifs should remain on topic. This allows the posting of highlight related gifs as you tried to post as well as reaction gifs that pertain to the topic at hand. Temery is having an issue right now with users who post gifs that treat women as objects. I would have no problem which these gifs being not allowed. Others I hope would be okay with this as well at the very least so that we could keep posting gifs on this message board.

That's like the president banning all cars in the country because someone wasn't paying attention and hit his dog.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm wearing an orange "FREE GIFS" t-shirt to my next 'Cuse game.

"February 13th, 2014: The day the gifs went out"

And I totally agree with the banning of those GIFs, especially being a female. I just ignored them, but am happier without them.

And I totally agree with the banning of those GIFs, especially being a female. I just ignored them, but am happier without them.

Or do what normal forums do and ban those people for 24 hours. Repeat violations the ban increases.

Because some idiots post half-naked women doesn't mean everyone should be disallowed to post GIFs of Ennis' shot.

Or do what normal forums do and ban those people for 24 hours. Repeat violations the ban increases.

Because some idiots post half-naked women doesn't mean everyone should be disallowed to post GIFs of Ennis' shot.
I can't think of a worse day to ban GIFs!

"February 13th, 2014: The day the gifs went out"

Maybe we can get Don McClean to join the movement and write a song to commemorate it. ;)

Oddly, the first version of this picture I used yesterday was a gif, and I had no idea why it wasn't working. With the explanation given, I have no problem with selective gif banning, or more appropriately, self-moderation. The banhammer wasn't invented for it's good looks.

Ban_Hammer04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom