Non Conference Games | Syracusefan.com

Non Conference Games

Chris02M

Football Schedule Maven
Anyone here anything on games being scheduled for the future? As our schedule is pretty barren,we need 2 games for 2014 and a bunch more after that.

Anyone here anything on games being scheduled for the future? As our schedule is pretty barren,we need 2 games for 2014 and a bunch more after that.

This seems to continue a trend that several on this board commented on for the season passed as well as many schedules up to last year. I continue to be surprised at the lack of "early" movement by 'Cuse in scheduling OOC games...and so it continues!

im told there is a June 30th deadline or the ACC will put a 2nd game at Giants Stadium in 2014.

the florida st one.

Oh Lord

2014 we have
Home
Louisville
Florida State
NC State
Coastal Team TBA
Road
Boston College
Clemson
Pitt
Wake Forest

Non-conference
Notre Dame-Metlife
I think Villanova is the I-AA team we are playing
2 TBA

IMO, one of them will be a MAC/AAC team at home and the other will be a BCS opponent. I heard during the season we were close to series with Michigan State, but I doubt that happens now.

If I was Dr. Gross I would talk to Penn State and try to get them to schedule Syracuse in the hole that Rutgers created for them by joining the B1G. In 2014 and 2015 Rutgers and Penn State scheduled a non-conference series that was changed to a conference series. I would play Penn State in 2014 and 2015 in Metlife two times if Penn State would agree.

the only thing I could see as reason for the delay besay our schedule guy sucking is the talk of b12-acc scheduling agreement

of the 2 open games at least 1 has to be at carrier dome

2014 we have
Home
Louisville
Florida State
NC State
Coastal Team TBA
Road
Boston College
Clemson
Pitt
Wake Forest

Non-conference
Notre Dame-Metlife
I think Villanova is the I-AA team we are playing
2 TBA

IMO, one of them will be a MAC/AAC team at home and the other will be a BCS opponent. I heard during the season we were close to series with Michigan State, but I doubt that happens now.

If I was Dr. Gross I would talk to Penn State and try to get them to schedule Syracuse in the hole that Rutgers created for them by joining the B1G. In 2014 and 2015 Rutgers and Penn State scheduled a non-conference series that was changed to a conference series. I would play Penn State in 2014 and 2015 in Metlife two times if Penn State would agree.
ped st is exactly what Syracuse needs. lets knock them off a few times in this 'down' period for them.

the problem is they are trying to play ucf in 14 in Ireland. we need that to fall through and have them do it in 15.

play in the Dome in 14

at state college in 15.

you want SU to go there in 16, or play at Giants Stadium...your gate or 60% of it?? fine.

Syracuse is now playing up and down the Atlantic Coast, lets play and beat up the 'bully' of the northeast as well.

Oh Lord

Ahh the recurring weak link in the chain at the athletic department strikes again. Did we ever figure out whether the game this year counts for bowl eligibility or are we still relying on the assurances of the opponent's athletic department.?

Ahh the recurring weak link in the chain at the athletic department strikes again. Did we ever figure out whether the game this year counts for bowl eligibility or are we still relying on the assurances of the opponent's athletic department.?
The Wagner game counts for bowl eligibility and honestly scheduling non-conference games is hard. Big teams won't play home/home unless you have a large football stadium which we don't, and it takes many years in advance. I would schedule South Florida, Cincinnati from the American and then go for a Purdue, Wisconsin, Kansas State, Baylor type of series. Also, playing neutral site games is a hip thing to do I would schedule every season opener at Metlife if we could get BCS teams in for 1 games series.

Have the Metlife Classic each year and Syracuse can play Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Alabama, Auburn, Florida. The Metlife people could cut multi-million dollar checks to the opponent and give SU a cool million each year sell the TV rights to ESPN/FOX and have a packed crowd at Metlife each late August/early September.

The Wagner game counts for bowl eligibility and honestly scheduling non-conference games is hard. Big teams won't play home/home unless you have a large football stadium which we don't, and it takes many years in advance. I would schedule South Florida, Cincinnati from the American and then go for a Purdue, Wisconsin, Kansas State, Baylor type of series. Also, playing neutral site games is a hip thing to do I would schedule every season opener at Metlife if we could get BCS teams in for 1 games series.

Have the Metlife Classic each year and Syracuse can play Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Alabama, Auburn, Florida. The Metlife people could cut multi-million dollar checks to the opponent and give SU a cool million each year sell the TV rights to ESPN/FOX and have a packed crowd at Metlife each late August/early September.

"Big teams" won't? But Auburn, Tennessee, Michigan will?

"Big teams" won't? But Auburn, Tennessee, Michigan will?
Auburn was last in the Dome in 2001 if I recall. Michigan and Tennessee were both in the 1998 - 1999 time frame. Who have we seen since then? Florida State helped us out of a jam that one year just because Bowden was the shnit. But then you get into Illinois, Iowa, Washington, Virginia, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Northwestern. Penn State once, sure. By and large the "big names" dropped off the map.

Didn't Ohio State cancel a series with us also?

Army, Navy, Rutgers, UConn, PSU, USF, UCF, Tulane, Toledo, Akron, Kent St, Ohio, tOSU, Michigan, MSU, IU, ILL, Vandy, WVU, Marshall, FIU, FAU, Georgia St, ODU, UMass and Buffalo are some of the no brainers. Some of these might be better than 1-1's. I could see some of the midmajors taking a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2. An annual game (or at least every other year) with Colgate at the Dome in Sept is a must. Colgate will be a counter within a couple years.

For degenerate gambling reasons I'd love a series with UNLV. I know the odds of that are slim, but one can still dream.

Auburn was last in the Dome in 2001 if I recall. Michigan and Tennessee were both in the 1998 - 1999 time frame. Who have we seen since then? Florida State helped us out of a jam that one year just because Bowden was the shnit. But then you get into Illinois, Iowa, Washington, Virginia, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Northwestern. Penn State once, sure. By and large the "big names" dropped off the map.

Didn't Ohio State cancel a series with us also?

I think the Ohio State cancellation was mutual. Two new ADs, neither wanted to honor the series from the previous ADs.

But it's a good point that the big name teams have not wanted to come to Syracuse in recent years. Or so it seems they didn't want to sign on for 1 and 1s.

Now that we're no longer a member of the Bottom Feeder 8, perhaps we'll see some of those games return as 1 and 1s.

I think the Ohio State cancellation was mutual. Two new ADs, neither wanted to honor the series from the previous ADs.

But it's a good point that the big name teams have not wanted to come to Syracuse in recent years. Or so it seems they didn't want to sign on for 1 and 1s.

Now that we're no longer a member of the Bottom Feeder 8, perhaps we'll see some of those games return as 1 and 1s.
what could/should happen is letting the conferences take the scheduling over.

it doesnt have to be reciprocal that way. for example: ohio st plays at the Dome, but gets florida st...who gets wisconsin...who gets clemson...who gets michigan...who gets virginia tech etc etc etc.

sure, somebody gets indiana 1x, but as a return they get to go somewhere impressive and the next time around they do get a mover and a shaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom