Non-revenue sports discussion | Syracusefan.com

Non-revenue sports discussion

gmoney44

All Conference
No, but it can’t be any fun thinking that everything is terrible

We had a soccer team just win a national championship

The women’s lax team has been ranked #1

Men’s basketball just got a new coach and brought in two stud transfers (they weren’t cheap)

Football just went to a bowl game and while lost Carter and Duce, brought in some really good transfers from Nebraska and Notre Dame with more years left to continue to solidify the defense. We didn’t lose Thompson or Wax

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m the first to be critical of Syracuse

But you complain about the NIL not doing enough, then you say you wouldn’t donate to them to help… okay well if everyone has that attitude it’s going to be really hard to get money.

Then you say we lost all our good players and nothing is going right

It just is overly negative

Does it make you feel good to be that negative? Is it a stress relief?

I mean that’s a weird flex but whatever makes you happy I guess
99% of the country doesn’t give a shyte about men’s soccer or women’s lacrosse. Also if they’re run off a billionaire that wants to contribute, what the hell is my donation going to do.

99% of the country doesn’t give a shyte about men’s soccer or women’s lacrosse. Also if they’re run off a billionaire that wants to contribute, what the hell is my donation going to do.
You ok? There are a lot of things to be angry about in this world. SU athletics not performing up to your standards should be the least of your worries. Shooting down successful teams is bizzare. I bet you would be quick to point your finger if they were doing bad.

You ok? There are a lot of things to be angry about in this world. SU athletics not performing up to your standards should be the least of your worries. Shooting down successful teams is bizzare. I bet you would be quick to point your finger if they were doing bad.
I’m happy those teams are doing well. I just stated a fact that 99% of the country doesn’t care about college men’s soccer or women’s lacrosse.

I’m happy those teams are doing well. I just stated a fact that 99% of the country doesn’t care about college men’s soccer or women’s lacrosse.

Well, thank you!

1682340388172.gif

So this is all about how non-fans perceive the program?

it’s one thing to say you don’t care but to say 99% of the country doesn’t care is simple not true. Soccer is the most played sport world wide. SU winning the chip was big. I coach lacrosse. The lacrosse community is growing. Lots of people care if they win or not.

Last edited:
it’s one thing to say you don’t care but to say 99% of the county doesn’t care is simple not true. Soccer is the most played sport world wide. SU winning the chip was big. I coach lacrosse. The lacrosse community is growing. Lots of people care if they win or not.
coming from a small school area.. We have no LAX.

No one around here cares much about LAX. a few know that teams like SU and Cornell are pretty good at it. and they are 20-30 min away from those home games.

We have soccer and no one even on the soccer team cares about soccer other than what they are playing.

All my adult friends care about NFL. Many care about MLB.. a Few about the NBA and almost none about NHL unless they grew up where there was a team.

Some care about SU fball, more about SU BBall and thats it for SU sports. the others might not well exist.

it’s one thing to say you don’t care but to say 99% of the county doesn’t care is simple not true. Soccer is the most played sport world wide. SU winning the chip was big. I coach lacrosse. The lacrosse community is growing. Lots of people care if they win or not.

TV executives seem to side with me on this. That’s why games for these sports are relegated to ESPN plus if they are televised. Most people could care less about these sports.

coming from a small school area.. We have no LAX.

No one around here cares much about LAX. a few know that teams like SU and Cornell are pretty good at it. and they are 20-30 min away from those home games.

We have soccer and no one even on the soccer team cares about soccer other than what they are playing.

All my adult friends care about NFL. Many care about MLB.. a Few about the NBA and almost none about NHL unless they grew up where there was a team.

Some care about SU fball, more about SU BBall and thats it for SU sports. the others might not well exist.
I’m a football guy first and foremost. I know what people talk about and how many people watch and attend football/hoops games compared to less marketable sports. To say 99% of the country don’t care is still false and trying to devalue the hard work and accomplishments of other teams is weird to me. What studies/polls can you reference that shows no one cares about those sports?

Last edited:
TV executives seem to side with me on this. That’s why games for these sports are relegated to ESPN plus if they are televised. Most people could care less about these sports.
Incorrect.

Most professional soccer is on streaming platforms to drive subscriptions to streaming. Providers are snatching up all they can to build out their portfolios. Because cable is dying and ESPN is trying to drive interest in streaming, and international soccer is a growth opportunity.

Also, the NCAA packages all of its television rights into one bundle, exclusive of men's CBB. So while there's not a huge priority compared to CFB or CBB, lax, baseball, softball, etc. all have an important place in the ecosystem.

I’m not arguing whether people watch other sports more. That’s common sense. Lol. You said 99% of people in this country don’t care about soccer and lacrosse. Explain how you came up with that percentage?

I’m not arguing whether people watch other sports more. That’s common sense. Lol. You said 99% of people in this country don’t care about soccer and lacrosse. Explain how you came up with that percentage?
If they cared, they’d watch. Not rocket science.

Incorrect.

Most professional soccer is on streaming platforms to drive subscriptions to streaming. Providers are snatching up all they can to build out their portfolios. Because cable is dying and ESPN is trying to drive interest in streaming, and international soccer is a growth opportunity.

Also, the NCAA packages all of its television rights into one bundle, exclusive of men's CBB. So while there's not a huge priority compared to CFB or CBB, lax, baseball, softball, etc. all have an important place in the ecosystem.
I said college men’s and women’s lacrosse. Don’t move the goal post.

I said college men’s and women’s lacrosse. Don’t move the goal post.
"Goal post" aside, you don't seem to understand the marketplace or the logic behind how programming decisions are made.

Regardless, I go back to my question from before. This just feels like you care way too much what other fan bases think of Syracuse.

"Goal post" aside, you don't seem to understand the marketplace or the logic behind how programming decisions are made.

Regardless, I go back to my question from before. This just feels like you care way too much what other fan bases think of Syracuse.

I thought the SU/ BC ladies lax game last week was pretty damn entertaining. I must be the 1% but I live in Ithaca and it did seem like many others were watching too here locally

I thought the SU/ BC ladies lax game last week was pretty damn entertaining. I must be the 1% but I live in Ithaca but it did seem like many others were watching too here locally

Raises the profile of SU with kids that are looking at SU wether they play lax here or not.

Ok so no evidence that 99% of people in the US don’t care about soccer and lacrosse. Gotcha.
College men’s soccer and women’s lacrosse.

Reading comprehension is lacking on this board.

I understand it perfectly. If people will watch they’ll put it on. The more people watch the better the channel and time slot. Stop trying to make it more complicated then it is.

College men’s soccer and women’s lacrosse.

Reading comprehension is lacking on this board.
When did I not refer to those sports? Talking about reading comprehension

Ok guy, you’re right. I heard ESPN and FOX are in a bidding war for college men’s soccer and women’s lacrosse. Skies the limit. Sit back and watch the money flow in.
Again, NCAA rights are sold as a package, aside from FBS CFB and MBB.

And a multitude of sports bring favorable perceptions to schools.

I doubt you'd know this because it appears you don't care, but Oklahoma is currently a juggernaut in softball, Tennessee had one of the best regular seasons ever in college baseball last year and got a ton of attention for it, and SEC gymnastics meets regularly draw 15,000+. Schools can and are known for things aside from men's basketball and football, even outside their own fan groups.

But ya know, the sky continues to fall and the world is terrible.

I’m a football guy first and foremost. I know what people talk about and how many people watch and attend football/hoops games compared to less marketable sports. To say 99% of the country don’t care is still false and trying to devalue the hard work and accomplishments of other teams is weird to me. What studies/polls can you reference that shows no one cares about those sports?
I could ask 100 people who won the championship in college soccer and I’m not sure anyone would get the answer correct.
Of course you would get some people in Syracuse to get it correct but not around the country as a whole.Lacrosse would be the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom