North Carolina Recruiting Question... | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Recruiting Question...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I was checking out the recruiting data base. It looks like we are involved with 4 or 5 (4 or 5 star) NC recruits over the next two classes.

What is our connection down there ?

If no special connection, why would we think we could keep these kids away from Duke or NC ?

I was checking out the recruiting data base. It looks like we are involved with 4 or 5 (4 or 5 star) NC recruits over the next two classes.

What is our connection down there ?

If no special connection, why would we think we could keep these kids away from Duke or NC ?

Maybe playing the soon to be ACC members card?

Maybe playing the soon to be ACC members card?
That was my thought exactly. Branching out into new territory since we'll be playing down there in the near future, so it allows us to widen our recruiting net.

Yup. Because not every NC recruit can go to UNC or Dook. Some want to play games in ACC country and have a chance to play their friends in college, or to beat those teams

Good question. Virginia Tech's roster has some players from North Carolina. My guess is that Adrian Autry made some connections in that state during his time at Virginia Tech.

I'm probably not alone in the thought that going to the ACC is going to help our recruiting. I think we'll still get players form the northeast (especially when the Big East collapses) and now we'll start to get players from the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, etc.

Yes, my guess is the "exposure" angle with recruits, i.e., multiple chances to play in NC venues w/o going to (or getting into) Duke/UNC/NCSU/Wake. And given that UNC and Duke (and this class at least, even NCSU) always seeming to get Mickey D's by the handful for each recruiting class, they can also work the "immediate chance" to play angle on top of that.

I wonder if we can start reaching into VA for recruits. Stanford Robinson would be a good start. Some very good basketball there in the VA/DC area and UNC/Dook lock these kids up early it seems

Ed Davis
James McAdoo
Ty Lawson
Andre Dawkins
JJ Redick

to name a few off the top of my head

Red is strongly connected with the DMV area. It's hard to plug kids out of Carolina from UNC & Duke, but both of those schools are pretty picky with the type of players they recruit. So there could be a kid that we could pull out of there once in awhile.

Duke and UNC both recruit nationally. Most of their recruits aren't "local" [obviously, some are as well].

Red is strongly connected with the DMV area. It's hard to plug kids out of Carolina from UNC & Duke, but both of those schools are pretty picky with the type of players they recruit. So there could be a kid that we could pull out of there once in awhile.
Stanford Robinson would be a great start to stake a claim in the border states!

Francis: Speaking of which, heard anything new on Allerick Freeman?

Just like I knew Selby was going to Kansas months before he even did

He listed Kansas, Nova, UCLA, and Ohio St recently.

It sounds like Kansas is going to have quite the class in '13. They already have Brannen Greene locked up and I've read a couple places they're in the lead for Freeman and Walker. Hopefully Freeman commits soon and it's one less competitor for Ennis. Francis, any new developments with Jefferson? I know you said in another thread that his recruitment might turn into another circus.

Honestly, I'm not interested in the type of kids Duke usually recruits. Very rarely do I watch a Duke game and say "man, I wish that guy played for us".

I think jefferson ends up at either temple pitt or nova...pretty sure his brother is on temple and has visited there a lot

I think jefferson ends up at either temple pitt or nova...pretty sure his brother is on temple and has visited there a lot

Is it possible his interest in Temple is like Shabazz's interest in UNLV, Noel's in Providence, Barnes Iowa State, or any other big recruit that lists the local program who might not quite have as big a name as the other ones he's considering, but they put the name in the running anyways? They might like the idea of staying with the hometown story but at the end of the day they always go with the big boys. Although I guess the flaw in that theory is Danuel House to Houston.

Is it possible his interest in Temple is like Shabazz's interest in UNLV, Noel's in Providence, Barnes Iowa State, or any other big recruit that lists the local program who might not quite have as big a name as the other ones he's considering, but they put the name in the running anyways? They might like the idea of staying with the hometown story but at the end of the day they always go with the big boys. Although I guess the flaw in that theory is Danuel House to Houston.

Very possible he just strikes me as a kid that will be tough to pry away from the penn schools