Not being able to watch Cuse hoops makes me the sads | Syracusefan.com

Not being able to watch Cuse hoops makes me the sads

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I've had a great holiday so far. Now that it's over though, looking forward to small, simple things really matters for my morale. The basketball games are a really nice 2 hour escape.

Obviously, the player safety is most important. It's a bummer having these games get bumped though.

I've had a great holiday so far. Now that it's over though, looking forward to small, simple things really matters for my morale. The basketball games are a really nice 2 hour escape.

Obviously, the player safety is most important. It's a bummer having these games get bumped though.

even our women’s game tomorrow is now canceled due to covid in our program. I don’t think college basketball makes it the whole season.

I feel you, Otto! I had a Crap Covid Christmas and am glad it is over. Yes, yes, I am still counting my blessings, etc. etc. but now I want to get through the winter and watching SU bball would be very very VERY helpful.

I have no control over it. It may or may not happen. It may be so bumbled that it verges on meaningless. I don’t care! I want to sit on the sofa and be perky and excited, instead of my usual eyes-glazed-drooling-nearly-comatose position of the last 10 months.

Damn it!

I am on board with everyone. Approaching 80 and never before spent a Christmas with just the two of us alone. Grandchildren only 8 years old and not wanting to miss a single Christmas BUT......we do what we have to do to get out of this COVID Crap (ala Beadle). It would be super to watch Syracuse basketball, especially all the promise this year's team has flashed at time. But the inconsistency of the season starts and stops, the multiple quarantines and the dependency on other programs to stay clean has me starting to believe Coach K. Shut it down for the season and stop trying to squeeze water out of the stone. Totally ridiculous, especially with the inconsistent COVID rules across different states to try and run a 2020-2021 basketball season. I do not cherish seeing Syracuse come out of another 14 day quarantine and walk into a league game with any opponent with only one or two days practice. I think the pain of unfair competition from lack of court time would be more than I want to see again. Cut our loses and shut it down is the smart thing to do. Then if we still want to prepare for next year, run practices to start preparing for next season.

I am on board with everyone. Approaching 80 and never before spent a Christmas with just the two of us alone. Grandchildren only 8 years old and not wanting to miss a single Christmas BUT...we do what we have to do to get out of this COVID Crap (ala Beadle). It would be super to watch Syracuse basketball, especially all the promise this year's team has flashed at time. But the inconsistency of the season starts and stops, the multiple quarantines and the dependency on other programs to stay clean has me starting to believe Coach K. Shut it down for the season and stop trying to squeeze water out of the stone. Totally ridiculous, especially with the inconsistent COVID rules across different states to try and run a 2020-2021 basketball season. I do not cherish seeing Syracuse come out of another 14 day quarantine and walk into a league game with any opponent with only one or two days practice. I think the pain of unfair competition from lack of court time would be more than I want to see again. Cut our loses and shut it down is the smart thing to do. Then if we still want to prepare for next year, run practices to start preparing for next season.
Stay safe. It sucks. It's killing me that some of these programs are imploding even though their campuses shut down pre Thanksgiving. Some people don't understand the meaning of social distancing. It's too bad.

even our women’s game tomorrow is now canceled due to covid in our program. I don’t think college basketball makes it the whole season.
We knew going into the season this was going to be a struggle. If we can get in 15 conference games, i would consider the season a huge success. Pretty sure there are going to be a lot of games where one team hasn’t practiced or played a game in 10-14 days. A lot of ugliness.

I would submit though that while there are going to be a lot of interruptions and the quality of play is going to inevitably suffer, some basketball is better than none. There are a lot of people out of work, working and stressed out; a lot of people who are close to losing it.

Sports is a great way to decompress and de-stress. I don’t advocate putting the players at great risk for our entertainment but I think these athletic contests help a lot of people cope/provide a welcome distraction from what is going to be a very hard time for many of us this winter/early spring.

I hope college athletics is able to weather the many problems COVID presents and cobble together a season. Hope all the athletes stay as healthy as possible and I hope all the college kids out there stay safe and are able to to go school on campus in as close to a normal situation as possible.

It comforts me that as far as I know, there are no confirmed cases of athletes passing the virus from one team to another in games so far. It comforts me that as far as I know, no college athlete has died and few have suffered serious consequences from going COVID. Any more details on the kid from Florida that collapsed a couple of weeks ago? Last I knew he was getting better but no details of what happened have been released.

It will make it through the whole season. Too much money at stake.

Its good to know that the family of the first athlete fatality will have a lot of money to litigate for from colleges and the NCAA.

It’s not really for player safety. It’s just for compliance with what the state says. Absent state rules, I think the games would be played. If not, then it would be more of an ‘optics’ decision. There are always and forever going to be exceptions, but Covid doesn’t do much to healthy 20 year olds. Coaches are the considerably more at-risk demographic.

There are always and forever going to be exceptions, but Covid doesn’t do much to healthy 20 year olds. Coaches are the considerably more at-risk demographic.
It's that line of thinking why the numbers keep going up. 20 yr olds can still pass it along to those that are in a riskier demographic. They are still spreaders.

Its good to know that the family of the first athlete fatality will have a lot of money to litigate for from colleges and the NCAA.
I don’t think so. The NCAA has been clear on this. No athlete has to play this year. You can opt out of you want to. You don’t lose a year of eligibility if you opt out either.

The athletes who are out there playing are doing so because they want to play. If you aren’t comfortable watching them play, maybe you should opt from watching them.

It's that line of thinking why the numbers keep going up. 20 yr olds can still pass it along to those that are in a riskier demographic. They are still spreaders.

Correct. Not the point I was making.

Correct. Not the point I was making.
Yes but that's why the state's mandating quarantining. Not for the 20 year old who already has it, but for everyone else they might spread it to.

Yes but that's why the state's mandating quarantining. Not for the 20 year old who already has it, but for everyone else they might spread it to.

I wasn’t railing against the state. I was just noting that player safety is not involved in this. I know why the state has the Covid rules they have.

Absent the state rules, these games could be played safely. Safe for the players and safe for others. The states can’t tailor their rules to each specific scenario though. So the states have to have the rules in place that they have, to keep the public safe. At the same time, these games could be played without jeopardizing public safety. Both can be true at the same time.

Did I say I agreed that everyone should be playing? No, I didn't.

However, as sutomcat says, the kids don't have to play. They can opt out. They get their year back. And in terms of playing, they are taking every protocol with testing and such to make sure it is as safe as can be.

You cannot control what these kids do outside of games & practice. Just like you can't control anyone else in the world.

Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, they are running a business. And they're doing everything they can to safely keep the business going.

Could be blessing in disguise if we get Sid back for those three to be rescheduled games.

I am in the same mood as NorSyr66 including age scenario. Luckily we were able to see my Grandson on Christmas morning who lives locally. Ontario went into complete lockdown on December 26 for one month so it will be quite a while before I see him again. My Granddaughter lives over 100 miles away so we had a virtual visit with here.

No SU hoops certainly adds additional pain to a lockdown in the middle of winter :( :(

I am in the same mood as NorSyr66 including age scenario. Luckily we were able to see my Grandson on Christmas morning who lives locally. Ontario went into complete lockdown on December 26 for one month so it will be quite a while before I see him again. My Granddaughter lives over 100 miles away so we had a virtual visit with here.

No SU hoops certainly adds additional pain to a lockdown in the middle of winter :( :(
So only essential workers and essential shoppers are allowed out? All of Ontario?

Dear you, please stop your crazy talk. Over the years, the NCAA has shown how much they suck. However, now, they're actually doing reasonable stuff. I mean, what else could you ask them to do? They're not penalizing student athletes for whatever choice they make during this pandemic. I think that 's what we want, unless I'm missing something here.

So only essential workers and essential shoppers are allowed out? All of Ontario?
Correct. We can go get groceries, but everything else is either closed or curbside pickup. No gatherings in home except those who live there. Southern Ontario has these rigid restrictions, Northern Ontario not as bad. Of Ontario's 15M population I would guess 14M are under these protocols.

Do we know yet if the UNC game is being postponed or is that one still TBD?

Correct. We can go get groceries, but everything else is either closed or curbside pickup. No gatherings in home except those who live there. Southern Ontario has these rigid restrictions, Northern Ontario not as bad. Of Ontario's 15M population I would guess 14M are under these protocols.
Isn't hockey starting soon. What will Toronto and Ottawa do?

I wasn’t railing against the state. I was just noting that player safety is not involved in this. I know why the state has the Covid rules they have.
Yeah, we still don’t know this is true. Has it been confirmed yet if the kid from Florida who nearly died on the court was COVID related?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom