Not So Special Teams | Syracusefan.com

Not So Special Teams

Lukeyloo

Reigning 2004 Syracuse CYO Free Throw Champ
Special teams really didn’t do the team any favors this year and that continued with the bowl game today. In my opinion Coach Bob hasn’t earned his paycheck yet.

I’ll say that it was good to see Szmyt return to his old ways, that was the one improvement in special teams last year. All other areas of special teams.. punting, punt/kickoff coverage, etc. absolutely needs to get better for this team to reach its potential.

Quite surprising given he was supposedly an ace. Could also but our level of recruits being exposed as well.

Two threads on special teams? Thought but for our punting they were overall better than recent years. People are just salty about the bad punts and the big return the Gophers had today.

I think it's fair to also point out we had a number of times that punts were caught inside the 10 yard line also. At least it sure seemed like it to me.
That's fair. Babers was quoted as saying they are taught to catch to the 8 yard line I think. Not sure if that is best practice or not.

That's fair. Babers was quoted as saying they are taught to catch to the 8 yard line I think. Not sure if that is best practice or not.
I hadn't heard that from Dino. Not sure I agree with that either.

Smytz was 6-11 over 40 yards, nothing to write home about
STILL better than last year overall
We can neat pick just about any stat to find our personal narratives

STILL better than last year overall
We can neat pick just about any stat to find our personal narratives
You’re making it sound like the special teams coach did something great, I don’t see it.
Last year he missed one chip shot and nailed everything else inside 40, this year he made his easy ones and wasn’t great outside 40.

Our Punt game needs to improve significantly. Do that and the ST’s look much better as a whole.

You’re making it sound like the special teams coach did something great, I don’t see it.
Last year he missed one chip shot and nailed everything else inside 40, this year he made his easy ones and wasn’t great outside 40.
Please show me where I said he did something great?
I CLEARLY said overall we were better that is it.
I love debating on this board about various topics but making up stuff or trying to bend what I said is bush league.

Please show me where I said he did something great?
I CLEARLY said overall we were better that is it.
I love debating on this board about various topics but making up stuff or trying to bend what I said is bush league.
Didn’t you say what he did with Smytz earned him some props or something like that?
I really don’t see what he did with Smytz that was so special and the punting what atrocious, not to mention kick coverage

Well storehouse at least averages 43 yards/punt so that should be better

Don’t love that 5 schollies are taken up by punters right now though

Didn’t you say what he did with Smytz earned him some props or something like that?
I really don’t see what he did with Smytz that was so special and the punting what atrocious, not to mention kick coverage
Someone stated that he didn't earn his paycheck
I made a nice reply about how I thought he did
No where have I EVER said he did something great or magically
He is clearly not Lustig nor are our Special Teams great
I even stated in my post that we swung and missed on our punter we recruited
He's fixing that issue by getting the Missouri kid to transfer in

Well storehouse at least averages 43 yards/punt so that should be better

Don’t love that 5 schollies are taken up by punters right now though
I believe Hawkins is a PWO
I would be shocked if both Williams and VonMarburg stick around but agreed we are way to deep in the punter scholarship department

Someone stated that he didn't earn his paycheck
I made a nice reply about how I thought he did
No where have I EVER said he did something great or magically
He is clearly not Lustig nor are our Special Teams great
I even stated in my post that we swung and missed on our punter we recruited
He's fixing that issue by getting the Missouri kid to transfer in
No problem, I took it as you were building him up for his work in getting Smytz better.
Smytz to me was the same guy he has always been, good inside 40 and shaky from beyond that.

No problem, I took it as you were building him up for his work in getting Smytz better.
Smytz to me was the same guy he has always been, good inside 40 and shaky from beyond that.
Got it and I totally agree Smytz always worried me outside of 45

5 punters?

MvM, Williams, and the kid from Missouri will be on scholarship. I expect one of them to be gone after Spring ball.

Hawkins is a walk on who hasn't seen the field all year.

Denaburg is Szmyt's replacement.

Got it and I totally agree Smytz always worried me outside of 45
He's got a chip shot stroke. He'll have to revamp his technique to have any chance at the NFL.

Baron did a very good job as a holder and that move helped Smytz be more consistent than last year.

Pena made some "interesting" decisions this year and was a bit streaky.

Punting...we all know that struggled, especially the last half of the year.

Kick offs all year were wonderful end zone shots but not so much yesterday which would have helped.