Note to SU marketing | Syracusefan.com

Note to SU marketing

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Here are some of the people you are trying to attract to the Dome from Onondaga County

CENSUS

Onondaga County older and more diverse

Central New York’s population has become older and more diverse over the past two years, mirroring national trends, according to new U.S. Census Bureau estimates for age, race and s*x being released today.

In Onondaga County, the median age of all residents increased from 37 years to almost 39 between July 2010 and July 2012, making the county slightly older than the new national median age of 37.5 years, the Census Bureau said.

Asians continued to be the nation’s fastest growing race or ethnic group in 2012, with a population increase of 530,000 or 2.9 percent nationwide.

In Onondaga County, the Asian population soared by a larger percentage — 3.6 percent — growing from 14,686 to 15,222. African Americans still made up the largest minority group in the county (53,523) but grew at a rate of 0.8 percent.

— Mark Weiner

Here are some of the people you are trying to attract to the Dome from Onondaga County

CENSUS

Onondaga County older and more diverse

Central New York’s population has become older and more diverse over the past two years, mirroring national trends, according to new U.S. Census Bureau estimates for age, race and s*x being released today.

In Onondaga County, the median age of all residents increased from 37 years to almost 39 between July 2010 and July 2012, making the county slightly older than the new national median age of 37.5 years, the Census Bureau said.

Asians continued to be the nation’s fastest growing race or ethnic group in 2012, with a population increase of 530,000 or 2.9 percent nationwide.

In Onondaga County, the Asian population soared by a larger percentage — 3.6 percent — growing from 14,686 to 15,222. African Americans still made up the largest minority group in the county (53,523) but grew at a rate of 0.8 percent.

— Mark Weiner

Interesting numbers thanks for posting. Despite the 3.6% increase, the Asian population went up less then a 1,000 and I dont think it would be beneficial to try and target a small minority group, 90% of whom probably have no idea SU football even exists. The bigger marketing problem is that the population overall continues to age, many of those middle aged fans who packed the Dome in the 80's and early 90's are getting to the age where its difficult for them to get to the dome and are starting to pass away. Syracuse is in a tough spot, they need to get that young audience that is still in there teens and younger but also that generation of fans that was lost to the last few years of P and the Grob era. The late twenties/early 30's crowd is what SU is struggling to draw from big time.

The late 20's/early 30's crowd should be attracted by $99 tix and beer. I really don't know what else they can do other than creating a tailgate zone at Armory Square and getting the train back up running. It really isn't that hard...you just need the school, city and downtown merchants to get together.

The late 20's/early 30's crowd should be attracted by $99 tix and beer. I really don't know what else they can do other than creating a tailgate zone at Armory Square and getting the train back up running.

As a member of that demographic I am afraid to say that many of that group are likely lost forever. Many of them are not even SU fans, that is the group with the highest anti-SU/hometown bias. I think some of that group can be salvaged moving forward but to me that will likely be the lost generation for SU fball.

The late 20's/early 30's crowd should be attracted by $99 tix and beer. I really don't know what else they can do other than creating a tailgate zone at Armory Square and getting the train back up running. It really isn't that hard...you just need the school, city and downtown merchants to get together.

It's not just the $99. It has to have an added value. The seat you get for $99 isn't better than being at home in front of a flat screen, spending less money, and drinking just as much beer with your buddies.

I am with you on the city/merchants/su working together better, but I think it's a tough sell outside of the team winning more if they don't do a different kind of marketing.

I do think the ACC teams will bring in some new folks.

But, and I'm not trying to start an argument here, when the games like USC are in Metlife, it doesn't help the situation either.

Don't forget the economy has played a part...I am just guessing, but maybe the poor economy the last few years has had the biggest impact on that deomographic, thus causing them to stay at home and drink beer rather than paying for tickets, parking, etc?

I grew up in Syracuse and was mostly indifferent to Orange football until I was 23. I paid some attention when I was a kid and completely lost interest between 2005 and 2008.

Then, a friend of mine had a spare ticket to the Rutgers game in 2009. That game was so much fun to watch, so exciting, so convincing that SU was going to come back, that I joined TOS two days later. That fall, I bought season tickets.

Now, I live for Syracuse football. I talk about it with anyone I see wearing Division 1 college gear here in NYC.

It is possible to turn around the indifference, the malaise. Now, it may have been easier to capture my attention and my imagination than it may be for many locals.

But I really think a 9 and 3 or a 10 and 2 season with a big win four or five weeks in would really get people interested again.

It's not a desire to stay home or rake leaves. It's the desire to be a part of something that everyone is talking about and everyone is excited about that will get people back to the Dome.

Walk around Taste of Syracuse and you'll see some of the people you are trying to attract to the Dome from Onondaga County.

People who can't afford clean socks and a pack of cigarettes aren't going to be purchasing tickets anytime soon. :D

Walk around Taste of Syracuse and you'll see some of the people you are trying to attract to the Dome from Onondaga County.

People who can't afford clean socks and a pack of cigarettes aren't going to be purchasing tickets anytime soon. :D

So true...

Oh, they can afford it. They just prefer Taste of Syracuse.

I honestly think a major key to attracting fans back lies in opening up the quad for tailgating (TexanMark, U out there?)

Anyone can stay at home and watch a game on TV. But its the gameday experience that makes going to a stadium special. Open up the quad, and fans will start to return...

I honestly think a major key to attracting fans back lies in opening up the quad for tailgating (TexanMark, U out there?)

Anyone can stay at home and watch a game on TV. But its the gameday experience that makes going to a stadium special. Open up the quad, and fans will start to return...

Good idea but never going to happen, was told before that Syracuse would not open up the Quad to tailgating and that what they have now (tents, a kids bounce house, some food) is pretty much as far as they want to go.

And Hendricks Field on the other side of the Dome. SU's not using its assets as well as it could.

It's not just the $99. It has to have an added value. The seat you get for $99 isn't better than being at home in front of a flat screen, spending less money, and drinking just as much beer with your buddies.

I am with you on the city/merchants/su working together better, but I think it's a tough sell outside of the team winning more if they don't do a different kind of marketing.

I do think the ACC teams will bring in some new folks.

But, and I'm not trying to start an argument here, when the games like USC are in Metlife, it doesn't help the situation either.

Hate quoting myself, but I want to clarify my first statement.

I applaud SU for making $100 season tix available. It's a great effort and a nod to the fact that they understand the market they are working with.

But I don't think the experience of going to a game in not-so-great- seats (even though there really isn't a bad seat in the house) is better than being home in the comfort of your home, spending less money and taking less of your time to a lot of people.

That is why the experience has to be something more than the game. If everyone got the TexanMark experience, I think they would love it. But that isn't the case.

I still think SU has to make an effort to re-connect with the people of Syracuse and the surrounding areas. I'm not going to argue the merits of Syracuse being NY(C)'s team, but the fact of the matter is I think the guiding marketing principle for the local area should be Syracuse is Syracuse's team first and foremost. That's a hard sell when some marquee games are in MetLife, all the advertising they are showcasing is in NYC, etc.

I'm not discounting those efforts. I get it. But the fact of the matter is we aren't ever going dominate the NYC market. We are an upstate NY team. We need to have a strong foundation of local and regional support to build on.