Notre Dame and their Playoff Chances | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame and their Playoff Chances

longislandcuse

Living Legend
“If” ND gets by UVA next week, and I’ll be rooting for UVA, I truly hope they go unbeaten the rest of the way.

Then I hope they’re left out of the CFP.

I don’t see a path for them, in their greedy, elitist state of being Independent, to make it to the CFP without mayhem involved.

They played better than I thought they would last night. However, they lost. They play UVA and USC in the upcoming weeks, and that’s about it for resume building.

If they were full time ACC members, one would have to believe winning the ACC, dethroning Clemson and having one loss, close, on the road to UGA, would get them in.

We need Virginia to lose to Notre Dame. Even we finish the season 10-2, Orange Bowl will pick 9-3(9-4) Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami. It is 50/50 between Pitt and SU, if Pitt finishes 9-3(9-4).

ND isn't a playoff level team this year. It lost too much talent from last year, its dealing with several key injuries at RB and WR and the offense isn't as good as last year.

That pressure is off this team after the Georgia loss. It is playing for at least ten wins and a NY 6 bowl now.

(It also has to travel to Michigan, as well as the Virginia and Southern Cal home games mentioned, with also a home game vs. Virginia Tech and Stanford on the road).

ND is pretty good, though. It has won 14 of its last 16 games and 24 of its last 29 games. So, 10-2 is still a good possibility. That would make double digit wins in three straight years and four out of five. Not bad.

Greedy?

ND could make about $25-30 million a year extra in TV/conference money if it were in the Big Ten and make more money (not nearly as much as if in the Big Ten) if in the ACC in full than as an football independent.

It has evaluated those facts, plus the fact that it has less of a margin as an independent playoff contender.

It still thinks being a football independent works best for them, overall.

who is elite

tex doesnt look it.

OK

OSU/Wisc

GA/Ala/Aub/LSU

ND looked solid

Clemson

If Georgia and Notre Dame both win out, there's a reasonable chance ND makes the playoff. A 6 point loss to Georgia on the road, with a chance to win at the end would look increasingly impressive if both teams win out. I wouldnt guarantee ND is in if it unfolds that way...but it's better than 50/50 that they are.

Honestly I think their chances are better now than I did Saturday morning - they were a 15 point underdog that lost by 6. Indicates they may be better than people thought, no?

ND isn't a playoff level team this year. It lost too much talent from last year, its dealing with several key injuries at RB and WR and the offense isn't as good as last year.

That pressure is off this team after the Georgia loss. It is playing for at least ten wins and a NY 6 bowl now.

(It also has to travel to Michigan, as well as the Virginia and Southern Cal home games mentioned, with also a home game vs. Virginia Tech and Stanford on the road).

ND is pretty good, though. It has won 14 of its last 16 games and 24 of its last 29 games. So, 10-2 is still a good possibility. That would make double digit wins in three straight years and four out of five. Not bad.

Greedy?

ND could make about $25-30 million a year extra in TV/conference money if it were in the Big Ten and make more money (not nearly as much as if in the Big Ten) if in the ACC in full than as an football independent.

It has evaluated those facts, plus the fact that it has less of a margin as an independent playoff contender.

It still thinks being a football independent works best for them, overall.

The trade off of less money and less of a chance at championships in exchange for the freedom to schedule 2 extra games remains confusing for those of us outside of the ND bubble. It’s weird.

If Georgia and Notre Dame both win out, there's a reasonable chance ND makes the playoff. A 6 point loss to Georgia on the road, with a chance to win at the end would look increasingly impressive if both teams win out. I wouldnt guarantee ND is in if it unfolds that way...but it's better than 50/50 that they are.

Honestly I think their chances are better now than I did Saturday morning - they were a 15 point underdog that lost by 6. Indicates they may be better than people thought, no?

If Georgia and ND win out that means ND has to be better than Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, OSU and Wisconsin. If they all continue to do well on that list Bama plays LSU and Auburn and if they win that they get Georgia since they won out, beat Florida. The winner of OSU vs Wisconsin go imo if they continue to play like they have and Oklahoma. I don't see how ND can go unless there is more games lost in that group and if LSU's only loss is to Bama...not sure ND gets in over the Tigers.

The trade off of less money and less of a chance at championships in exchange for the freedom to schedule 2 extra games remains confusing for those of us outside of the ND bubble. It’s weird.
It’s all about alumni $$$$.
Just like the world is becoming more progressive because of millennials nothing will change till the Boomers die off.

Clemson
Alabama, LSU, or Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio State

Are all miles better.
Notre Dame knows the rules. They lost they are done. They aren’t good enough at 11-1 to make it.

They made the decision. Let them go to the Orange or Cotton Bowl and everyone is fine.

Completely agree and as an ND fan, no problem here.

Lol...three games, not two. It doesn't have to make sense to non-ND people, does it?

Less conference and TV money is not that big of an issue with ND. It now fully funds 26 sports and returns $20-25 million a year to the academic side as is.

What is it going to do with the extra money? Hire more consultants or put a fountain in the locker room?

In the latest Forbes evaluation, ND is 7th in total revenues and only four schools made a bigger profit than ND now, and that was with football lottery ticket donations not being counted for ND.

"The one outlier in the conference talk is, of course, the football independent Notre Dame, which ranks seventh with team revenues of $112 million. Although the Irish don't get conference money for football, the team still receives a reported $15 million per year from NBC for broadcast rights to its home games. What's more, Notre Dame's athletic department doesn't even report the vast majority of contributions tied to the football team's ticket lottery, since most of those are made directly to the university. "

ND thinks that independence is better for the brand and for scheduling and for the school marketing in general.

It thinks that being in a football conference and playing 8 or 9 conference games is too regional and restrictive.

Last edited:
Clemson
Alabama, LSU, or Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio State

Are all miles better.
Notre Dame knows the rules. They lost they are done. They aren’t good enough at 11-1 to make it.

They made the decision. Let them go to the Orange or Cotton Bowl and everyone is fine.
Correct.

They’re done.

End of story.

We need Virginia to lose to Notre Dame. Even we finish the season 10-2, Orange Bowl will pick 9-3(9-4) Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami. It is 50/50 between Pitt and SU, if Pitt finishes 9-3(9-4).

Not sure about that if the reports are true about the orange bowl reps that have been here. They absolutely love us and almost seemed like they are rooting for us to be the team.

Greedy? Huh? We're talking college football, right?
Let me specify, greedy as in “having their cake and eating it too”.

If their advocates would shut up about the CFP and accept that a one loss ND team rarely has the schedule or ability (conference championship) to overcome a loss, then fine. Schedule who you want for whatever reasons you have. However, they need to stop worrying about winning titles because that’s not happening until they join a conference.

I’m sorry for the Debbie Downer post, but I need to see so much more from this team before I think we are Orange Bowl-caliber. We gave up 560 yards at home to a MAC team. Right now we look like a 7-5 Pinstripe Bowl level team at best (which isn’t a bad thing at all).

Let me specify, greedy as in “having their cake and eating it too”.

If their advocates would shut up about the CFP and accept that a one loss ND team rarely has the schedule or ability (conference championship) to overcome a loss, then fine. Schedule who you want for whatever reasons you have. However, they need to stop worrying about winning titles because that’s not happening until they join a conference.
It’s the Notre Dame baby boomer alumni base who doesn’t want any change to their independent status.

The school listens to those that it give it money. It’s not about football dollars it’s about alumni dollars.

I think their schedule is tougher than any B1G team and they deserve it with 1 loss over any 1 loss B1G. I wouldn't put them in over a 1 loss Big 12 team. And I think I'd put 1 loss PAC 12 champ in over ND as well. Losing by less than a TD @UGA is hardly a bad loss.

Theyre unlucky they can't play the other Independent on their schedule every year CCG week since Army doesn't play that week to get ready for Navy.

They really should blow the doors off someone like Umass or Uconn that week annually though since lots of CCGs are non competitive.

Correct.

They’re done.

End of story.

If ND wins out, their chances of getting in the CFP are way higher than zero. It's probably something like 1 in 3 or a coin flip. They only dropped from 7 to 10 in the AP Poll and are 7th in the ESPN FPI. Worst case scenario they will be in close striking distance of the Top 4.

If ND wins out, their chances of getting in the CFP are way higher than zero. It's probably something like 1 in 3 or a coin flip. They only dropped from 7 to 10 in the AP Poll. Worst case scenario they will be in close striking distance of the Top 4.
They aren’t getting in the playoffs at 11-1 unless their mass chaos. So give them a 10% chance at 11-1 which is a chance but not likely.
They know the rules.
They don’t play the extra neutral site championship game.
Notre Dame needs to go 12-0 to make the playoffs.

They aren’t getting in the playoffs at 11-1 unless their mass chaos. So give them a 10% chance at 11-1 which is a chance but not likely.
They know the rules.
They don’t play the extra neutral site championship game.
Notre Dame needs to go 12-0 to make the playoffs.

FiveThirtyEight (which I'm not saying is the end all/be all) has them at 50% chance if they win out.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 3.26.16 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom