Notre Dame Game Preview (4/1/23, 2pm) | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game Preview (4/1/23, 2pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I just wanted to take a few minutes to try and preview this game. Obviously the recent history of games against the Irish is not good for the Orange. Not only does ND beat SU, but they beat them pretty badly. Last year SU lost 22-6 in South Bend, and 18-11 in Syracuse. In 2021 it was another 18-11 loss in the Dome. You have to go back all the way to 2018 to find Syracuse's last win over Notre Dame. Can the Orange reverse recent history, in strangely their last home game of the year?

SU has not been able to contain Pat Kavanaugh recently, and that is putting things lightly. He scored 19 points against the Orange last year in two games. It's hard to be worse than that against one player. This year you have to imagine that SU will bump Saam Olexo down low and have him matchup against Irish's quarterback and leading scorer. I think Olexo has a decent chance to do well against Kavanaugh, but he'll need to play his best game of the year. The other bad news for the Orange is the Irish have another Kavanaugh brother to worry about, and it appears he's now matched his brother when it comes to production. The big question for the Orange defense is if Landon Clary will be back for this game. If not who will guard the little brother? Dwan with his length? Not sure there is another SU defender who can match feet with ND's second leading scorer. Someone mentioned that the Kav brothers struggled against UVA's length last week when ND scored only 10 goals. SU has tried to put their fastest defender on Pat Kav the last couple of years. Olexo and Dwan aren't as tall and rangy as the UVA defenders, but it might be a better strategy than trying to match foot speed.

The one sliver of hope the Orange have in this game is that the Notre Dame face-off unit is not very good this season. That hasn't slowed them down much but if Richiusa and Fine were looking to have a breakout game, this could be one to circle. The Orange simply have to keep the ball away from the Notre Dame offense and put as much pressure as possible on Liam Entemeann and the Irish defense. I imagine Chris Fake will be on Joey Spallina, which should be a physical battle. The SU offense has been great all year (minus against Hopkins) but will have perhaps their stiffest test against Entemann. They will have to be very careful with the ball and take good shots only. I have a hard time seeing the Orange winning this game, but I think it could be close. SU needs to start winning games like this and this would be a huge one.

I also think big help for cuse this week would be getting their sticks in passing lanes and knocking balls down(hopefuly for us to pick it up). As pat and chris both look to feed inside to JT and other inside finisher who’s name eludes me at this time. Even bigger question is who do you put on dobson who is big and physical with outside hammer. Lately he’s shown ability to make some good feeds also.I would guess cacameo would be on him. Besides winning faceoffs of course and clearly offense has to take care of ball and good shots all clear givens. But like to see them also manage the clock better also specially when on offense. Any and all ways to keep ball in our end and out of kavs hands can only help us. Out shorties will have to be on their game also. Rosa worries me a bit. He keeps playing way to off his guy and doesn’t have foot work or speed to keep with guy who’s got head of steam and can change directions. I dream of us beating them but i mostly don’t believe it. Grant would be gladly and impressed even if we lose but lose by goal or even right at end of game. That would be a win in my mind if can keep it that close. Even if lost in overtime like duke game. Would be upset still lost but also feel very good that was that close. I really hope they truely come out on fire build a nice lead and pulls this win out. This team getting a dub from a top team think would do wonders for players confidence which could turned into something greater. Either way let’s go orange .

Also one last thing petro please please petro please tell your defense to play up on their guy giving no room to even catch or throw a pass without our guys hounding them. We sit back on d this team can pick us apart if let them control tempo on defense. So yes play smart lay some lumber and the BooM with ur hands together or with shoulder not in head area. Also aviles take a run on offense bro. When going from defense to offense specially if one of their O guys are on you take him to rack. I don’t think a lot could keep up with ur speed and def don’t think a O guy could stop ya from taking him to rack. Few times in last game thought he had chance to go but decided not to. DO IT!! Your a beast !

Also one last thing petro please please petro please tell your defense to play up on their guy giving no room to even catch or throw a pass without our guys hounding them. We sit back on d this team can pick us apart if let them control tempo on defense.
dont hold your breath. petro's defenses have never done this dating back more than 20 years now. they're not going to start now

Final home game. No excuses. Everyone has gotta go!

Want to see a heck of a lot of Hiltz dodging tomorrow. Even if it doesn't work out the first couple times keep on going back there. Our best odds at a successful look are when he initiates with the ball. It can't all be middies dodging on their short stick match ups. Chris Fake isn't going to take too kindly to the Spallina back down routine (assuming he's guarding him). Hiltz has to be that dude. ND will come in looking to prove their worth on offball D after a rough outing against UVA there. Hiltz off the dodge is the most likely to draw the eyes of the defense and he will make you pay for ball watching. We have to get him the rock, and Hiltz has to demand the ball as well.

I assume we have Olexo back in his true LSM role since we will need him on Dobson. Would be huge to have Clary back but will he be ready to go up against a Kavanaugh in his first game off the injured list? As far as attack match ups go, they are not all about sprinting by their man to score. They burn you in different ways. Not as scary as Mcadory Oneill from strictly a foot speed/dodging perspective. I trust Caccamo to do a good enough job not needing a slide too often if he gets the Pat Kav matchup. Do not feel as confident about Kol and Dwan so really hope we have Clary back.

Nothing more to lose but everything to gain with this game. Everyone is tired of getting embarrassed by this team. They have some face off issues as well so we should at least be able to limit any make it take it sort of runs from them. Clearing game has to be immaculate.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but the reality here is this is Cuse's first taste of "a big boy team" with our 3rd defender as our 2nd defender and our best LSM as our 1st defender (but only sometimes, as sometimes our 2nd defender has to be our 1st defender). I'm being a bit of a smart ass there, but it's true. If Clary were healthy, I'd be feeling a bit better about our chances.

I'd like to go into this game optimistic because Will Mark could always stand on his head and make things more difficult than they should be for ND, but to get a win, these two things would have to happen...

(1) An LSM and 3rd defender need to both play like true, ACC level #1 and #2 guys. Not only that, but #4, and #5 also have to play the best games of their lives. Jake Nelson is back on attack for ND now and has a game or two under his belt, so this ND attack is very good.

(2) If Olexo ends up playing a bit of close defense in settled situations, whoever is guarding Dobson up top will have to play very well.

(3) Richie USA is going to need to win 60% or more of the draws. If he splits and Will Mark has 18 to 20 saves, Cuse could be within 3 to 5 goals by the end and the game could be within reach. If he wins 60% or more and Mark has 18 to 20 saves, a win is on the table. THE REALITY, we have very little reason to believe that Richie USA is going to even win 45% of the draws.

(4) As stated above, Will Mark will need to be above 18 saves for Cuse to have any chance.

Offensively I think if given enough possessions Cuse can keep pace, but my worry is that those possessions as always are going to be hard to come by, and couple that with the fact Notre Dame's defense is solid and very experienced, and Entenmann is a top 5 keeper, this is likely the toughest "defense/goalie" combo Syracuse has faced all year. Maryland would be a close second although they had Dolan playing that game against Cuse.

Any news on Clary? I saw an article that said he was week to week as of Hofstra. I was given the impression his injury was season ending, but apparently that's not true? Even if he were back this week, I assume he's not 100%, but it would certainly give me a bit more hope.

***CAVEAT, maybe the Cuse magic has returned with Spallina and co and we could certainly see that kick in this weekend and they could pull a crazy upset and I'll be screaming and yelling and generally embarrassing myself. So all of the above is me just trying to be objective given the recent history of these two teams and the current state of the Orange.***

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but the reality here is this is Cuse's first taste of "a big boy team" with our 3rd defender as our 2nd defender and our best LSM as our 1st defender (but only sometimes, as sometimes our 2nd defender has to be our 1st defender). I'm being a bit of a smart ass there, but it's true. If Clary were healthy, I'd be feeling a bit better about our chances.

I'd like to go into this game optimistic because Will Mark could always stand on his head and make things more difficult than they should be for ND, but to get a win, these two things would have to happen...

(1) An LSM and 3rd defender need to both play like true, ACC level #1 and #2 guys. Not only that, but #4, and #5 also have to play the best games of their lives. Jake Nelson is back on attack for ND now and has a game or two under his belt, so this ND attack is very good.

(2) If Olexo ends up playing a bit of close defense in settled situations, whoever is guarding Dobson up top will have to play very well.

(3) Richie USA is going to need to win 60% or more of the draws. If he splits and Will Mark has 18 to 20 saves, Cuse could be within 3 to 5 goals by the end and the game could be within reach. If he wins 60% or more and Mark has 18 to 20 saves, a win is on the table. THE REALITY, we have very little reason to believe that Richie USA is going to even win 45% of the draws.

(4) As stated above, Will Mark will need to be above 18 saves for Cuse to have any chance.

Offensively I think if given enough possessions Cuse can keep pace, but my worry is that those possessions as always are going to be hard to come by, and couple that with the fact Notre Dame's defense is solid and very experienced, and Entenmann is a top 5 keeper, this is likely the toughest "defense/goalie" combo Syracuse has faced all year. Maryland would be a close second although they had Dolan playing that game against Cuse.

Any news on Clary? I saw an article that said he was week to week as of Hofstra. I was given the impression his injury was season ending, but apparently that's not true? Even if he were back this week, I assume he's not 100%, but it would certainly give me a bit more hope.

***CAVEAT, maybe the Cuse magic has returned with Spallina and co and we could certainly see that kick in this weekend and they could pull a crazy upset and I'll be screaming and yelling and generally embarrassing myself. So all of the above is me just trying to be objective given the recent history of these two teams and the current state of the Orange.***

Not to be a Debbie Downer myself, but Phaup did very well last year in the face-off department and it still didn't matter much. He went a combined 39-63 (61%) and SU still lost by a combined score of 40-17. Goalie play of course in those two games was really bad. SU goalies posted a 29% save percentage in the first game and a 38% in the second game. Have to imagine Will Mark will play better. Will it close the gap enough?

Not to be a Debbie Downer myself, but Phaup did very well last year in the face-off department and it still didn't matter much. He went a combined 39-63 (61%) and SU still lost by a combined score of 40-17. Goalie play of course in those two games was really bad. SU goalies posted a 29% save percentage in the first game and a 38% in the second game. Have to imagine Will Mark will play better. Will it close the gap enough?

Hope sooo would be such a huge win. Maybe they shock us all tomo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom