Notre Dame Game Thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game Thread...

the Stranger did some Things in the pipes today. he didn't give up Eleven.

No idea what Dekso does pre game but he needs to change it up

He could start by announcing his resignation. Way too many years of this BS.

I thought they put in Cook for him. I'd rather give Nelson some run at this point, attack unit continues to struggle and needs some new blood

Totally agree - I saw Nelson live in the Fall - he was one of the real surprises. Don’t understand why he hasn’t seen some time

The camera work on the face offs is the worst I’ve ever seen. Close up on the ball at dance-off the. They never pan out so you never see how a team ended up with the ball.

That was pretty bad. I'm picturing this: A camera guy wakes up with the flu, so he calls his boss and says he can't work. It's too late to bring in someone else, so the producer grabs a guy who always works in the truck, assigns him a camera, and says, "Just zoom in on the faceoff area. Don't move the camera." But the fact that they're one person short means that the guy who decides which camera angle we should see has to do someone else's job, so he's often late switching from a close-up on the clamp to a wider shot of the exit and the scrum.

At least I hope that's what happened.

This crew also was horrible with faceoff stats, even though FOs were one of the keys to ND being so far ahead in the first half, and SU clawing its way back in the second. I don't recall ever hearing numbers; about the only analysis was along the lines of "Syracuse is winning more faceoffs now than it did in the first half." We know; we're watching the same game you are.

One problem with having so many games broadcast is that the network has to pay lots more people, or for more feeds. The Internet-only games draw much smaller audiences -- even Orange-Irish is basically only fans of those schools, plus a few die-hards, so advertisers don't pay as much for commercials. That means lower revenue, which translates to smaller staffs.

If you think yesterday was bad, find the replay of Binghamton at Dartmouth if it's still out there. It's essentially one announcer who clearly is pausing periodically to look up the name of the guy who just made a play. Couple that with the occasional tilting of one of the two or three cameras, and the experience is just surreal.

No idea what Dekso does pre game but he needs to change it up

He could start by announcing his resignation. Way too many years of this BS.

Here we see the illusive walking living breathing stereotype. Rare to see one in such a pure form in the wild. Notice his silence when we beat Army, Hopkins, Rutgers, and Duke, all legit teams, but then listen as he emits his shrill "fire desko!" call after a 3 goal loss on the road to a formidable ND squad. Quite an impressive specimen.

Here we see the illusive walking living breathing stereotype. Rare to see one in such a pure form in the wild. Notice his silence when we beat Army, Hopkins, Rutgers, and Duke, all legit teams, but then listen as he emits his shrill "fire desko!" call after a 3 goal loss on the road to a formidable ND squad. Quite an impressive specimen.

Recent posts on this board talk about:
  1. Whether SU players would start on another ACC team
  2. Transfers who became stars elsewhere
  3. Decommits
If you don't see what has happened to this program over the last 10 years (when they last won a championship), I just don't know what to tell you. Beating your chest that SU beat Army, Hopkins and Rutgers is not what this program is (was) about.

Recent posts on this board talk about:
  1. Whether SU players would start on another ACC team
  2. Transfers who became stars elsewhere
  3. Decommits
If you don't see what has happened to this program over the last 10 years (when they last won a championship), I just don't know what to tell you. Beating your chest that SU beat Army, Hopkins and Rutgers is not what this program is (was) about.
I think it's unfair to blame Desko on all the decommits. Syracuse is giving way too low of scholarships forcing the players to make a financial decision rather than a playing decision. Syracuse is not cheap. As for the transfers, some had good reasons to leave, like Wisnaukous(my spellings probably a little wrong). SU players have shown they can be formidable opponents, each offer a very different aspect. Solomon is the garbage man, Curry is a sniper, and Voigt is a finisher.
All I'm saying is wait till the end of the season to make claims about firing Desko.

Curious to hear what the group thinks of Cook after a half a dozen games into his career. Do we have the next Kevin Rice in the making? Too early to tell?
And separately, does anyone think Curry gets more runs at attack next year with Dordevic back to get first step on speed dodge and D rotating ?

Ward never shuts up

Worse, Ward mispronounced the name of ND's best player FOR THE ENTIRE GAME. And it appears neither the play-by-play guy (who I thought was decent) nor the director nor the ND athletic communications person nor anyone on Twitter pointed it out. It's not good when your partner is saying "COST-uh-beel" and you keep saying "COST-uh-beyouell." Most big programs like ours give the media a pre-game handout that includes phonetic pronunciations so you don't have broadcasters saying "Door-DOUGH-vitch" instead of "DOOR-duh-vick," or "REE-fuss" instead of "RAY-fuss."

Ward has traditionally been a studio guy, and I found some of his analysis helpful (I did not know about players calling "release!" to avoid penalties for physical play) but if he's going to be at a game site, he needs to learn the names of the guys he'll be talking about. Especially when they're All-America caliber.

An aside: Many broadcasters these days are on Twitter -- I got a response at halftime of a game earlier this year when I tweeted at Anish Shroff during the second quarter. That means we as viewers can help fix basic mistakes like mispronunciation, or getting player IDs wrong.

During a football game a few years back, Christopher Frederick made some plays that the announcers were crediting to Ervin Phillips. A tweet to ESPN got that fixed at halftime. But it doesn't always work; last year, Bob Wischusen kept referring to an SU basketball player he called Marek "dough-lee-ZADJH." When it was called to his attention that every other broadcaster that year has pronounced the name correctly, responded with some BS that SU's comms staff had told him that was how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Curious to hear what the group thinks of Cook after a half a dozen games into his career. Do we have the next Kevin Rice in the making? Too early to tell?
And separately, does anyone think Curry gets more runs at attack next year with Dordevic back to get first step on speed dodge and D rotating ?
Very possible that Curry moves to attack but it will depend on what others show next fall. Buildup and expectations may have been too high for Cook. Frosh Epstein, Scanlan, Solomon, Leadmon and others impacting but most need time .Rice did not hit the ground running and Cook has been playing out of position Time will tell

This season was my first look at Cook and he has definitely not lived up to expectations. Looks too small out there.

Last edited:
I think Cook has had a pretty good season so far, and that the expectations placed on him probably were not fair. I think Rhefuss coming in a number of years ago and playing really well off the bench probably set our expectations too high for what a freshman attackman could do. Rice took a few years to really become an All American type player.

If you want to make the comparision, Cook seems to have really good footwork like Rice, but Rice was also a lot stronger. He really fought through checks and didn't shy away from contact. You can still see hesitancy in Cook's game, hopefully it is something he'll grow from. The one thing that has me a little concerned is he is not as fast as I was expecting. He is shifty but not sure he can leave his defender in the dust. Also needs to change levels on his shot more than he does. Lastly, Rice always played with his head up and looked for his teammates first, I don't get that sense from Cook yet. In Cook's defense it really helped Rice to play with Donahue, Staats, Galasso, etc ... He has a lot to work on but by no means is the door closed.

we try to force it in front in traffic but nobody has the "box lacrosse" body or hands to finish.
result is typically a turnover. only doorstep feed goal was .5 seconds too late yesterday.

I think it's unfair to blame Desko on all the decommits. Syracuse is giving way too low of scholarships forcing the players to make a financial decision rather than a playing decision. Syracuse is not cheap. As for the transfers, some had good reasons to leave, like Wisnaukous(my spellings probably a little wrong). SU players have shown they can be formidable opponents, each offer a very different aspect. Solomon is the garbage man, Curry is a sniper, and Voigt is a finisher.
All I'm saying is wait till the end of the season to make claims about firing Desko.
Is the number of lacrosse scholarships SU grants a NCAA max number or something less? I figure we’re at a significant cost disadvantage for kids who attend their in-state state schools and probably the Ivies as well.

Is the number of lacrosse scholarships SU grants a NCAA max number or something less? I figure we’re at a significant cost disadvantage for kids who attend their in-state state schools and probably the Ivies as well.

We use the NCAA max 12.6 scholarships.

I think Cook has had a pretty good season so far, and that the expectations placed on him probably were not fair. I think Rhefuss coming in a number of years ago and playing really well off the bench probably set our expectations too high for what a freshman attackman could do. Rice took a few years to really become an All American type player.

If you want to make the comparision, Cook seems to have really good footwork like Rice, but Rice was also a lot stronger. He really fought through checks and didn't shy away from contact. You can still see hesitancy in Cook's game, hopefully it is something he'll grow from. The one thing that has me a little concerned is he is not as fast as I was expecting. He is shifty but not sure he can leave his defender in the dust. Also needs to change levels on his shot more than he does. Lastly, Rice always played with his head up and looked for his teammates first, I don't get that sense from Cook yet. In Cook's defense it really helped Rice to play with Donahue, Staats, Galasso, etc ... He has a lot to work on but by no means is the door closed.

Agree with you on the speed. From everything I was reading prior to the season, I thought he was going to blow by his Match up ..but agree more shifty than sheer speed ..

Probably make the tourney unless we implode down the stretch. Pretty sure a 7-5 regular season and a win in the ACC tourney would do the job.

Need to at least split the the next two (Hobart and Cornell) and win at Navy. Imagine the game at Carolina will be a tossup.

so in that scenario no home first round, right?

Scholarships can get hairy. People say their is no such thing as a full ride, but in reality you can get something close. I know a person who graduated last year who got roughly 85% of the cost covered. A person graduating this year I know got at least 50%.
I can't honestly say with certainty how it works, I just know from peoples experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom