Notre Dame: Polish is Tarnishing a bit: Rick Reilly from ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame: Polish is Tarnishing a bit: Rick Reilly from ESPN

Good article by Reilly on the downward trend of Notre Dame Football...he calls for some tough love like taking away Notre Dame's seat on the BCS--it isnt good enough to be a single team joined with conferences. What do you think?

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8264769/notre-dame-irish-relegated-insignificance
of course they're not good enough to be a single team joined with the conferences. I have absolutely no idea why the conferences allow it to begin with - talk about the emperor having no clothes....

This article is awesome. It's ironic that a sports writer who has absolutely been exposed as a dinosaur and has faded off into irrelevance while still getting a national platform and making a ton of money is irate that a college football program would do the same thing.

Oh, and what is that dinosaur of a writer writing about to draw readers to his column? Oh, right, ND.

And what's so noble about joining a conference? Every team shifts conferences as soon as they see a few $$$ signs and if NBC drops ND and offers the deal to Texas, it's buh-bye Big 12.

But even dismissing those things, isn't Notre Dame doing what every team in it's position should do? I mean, if they aren't a national brand then NBC shouldn't pay them all that money and they should join a conference. But for as long as people love and hate ND and they deliver enough ratings, they are going to ride out their success.

And people love to trash ND as being no different from anyone else. To an extent I agree with this, but what I will defend them on is the fact that they do seem to have some element of academic standards to their program (similar to a stanford). Most if not all of their recruits post SAT scores north of 1000 -- something next to no programs do -- and their recruits have to still take the exact same liberal arts curriculum as frosh and sophs (fewer credit hours in most cases, but same classes). That means they have to pass an upper level science class, all the history/english/philosophy/theology classes that all the other schlubs have to.

Do I think the powers that be at ND care more about academics than winning? No, not at all. Do I think they're generally overrated in the preseason and then disappoint in most regular seasons? Yes. Do they take themselves far too seriously? Yes. Is there an inordinate number of obnoxious alums? Yes.

But ultimately, I think most of the ire is misplaced. But that ire from a huge swath of college football fans is part of this whole mix.

Oh, and my three favorite lines of the column are the last three:

If there's anything we've learned from the Penn State mess, it's that nobody gets to live on a pedestal anymore.
Ummm, really? That's the moral of that story? No one gets to live on a pedestal?
And then this beauty ...
You flunked, Notre Dame. Go back a grade.
Umm, Rick, you're reaching brutha. When you flunk you repeat a grade. So, I think maybe putting a bit more time into your final zinger would have been wise.

How timely of Reilly. I can't wait for his next column about how the Dallas Cowboys don't seem to be winning as much lately ever since Troy Aikman retired.

Good article by Reilly on the downward trend of Notre Dame Football...he calls for some tough love like taking away Notre Dame's seat on the BCS--it isnt good enough to be a single team joined with conferences. What do you think?

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8264769/notre-dame-irish-relegated-insignificance[/quote]

VT AD: "Weaver doesn’t know who the ACC’s Orange Bowl opponent will be. In late June, he thought he knew exactly what would happen, but things changed. Weaver didn’t want to get into what changed, because it could impact something else, and that something else is expansion. He’s not going to say who the expansion involves, but if you surveyed everyone in the audience someone would be able to tell you. Weaver thinks it will play out in the not too distance future."

http://www.techsideline.com/article/2012/08/14/tech-talk-live-notes-for-81312/

"Sure, and girls are still wearing leg warmers."

I use to think those leg warmers were pretty sexy on the ladies back in the 1980's.

Rick Reilly's a hack. His article may have some truths but seriously he needs to get over himself. He writes like a 10 year old and isn't funny.

ive been screaming for this for a while.

the big5 confs should just freeze them the F out.

'listen, you suck. we're not going to cater to you anymore. if nbc wants to give you a gazillion dolllars, fine. but we will not be letting our teams play you. go play navy. go play san diego st. go play the bigeast teams. we're done. good bye.'

that should force them into a conf, then they will settle in as the 5th or 6th best team and realignment will be overwith.

i dont care if this conspiracy is done above or below the table, just tell them its over.

Oh, and my three favorite lines of the column are the last three:

If there's anything we've learned from the Penn State mess, it's that nobody gets to live on a pedestal anymore.
Ummm, really? That's the moral of that story? No one gets to live on a pedestal?
And then this beauty ...
You flunked, Notre Dame. Go back a grade.
Umm, Rick, you're reaching brutha. When you flunk you repeat a grade. So, I think maybe putting a bit more time into your final zinger would have been wise.
hopefully he didn't work in a pointless reference to how attractive he thinks his own wife is like he usually does

But but but...the four horsemen and rudy and the galloping ghost and gold domes.

Ever since November 16, 1957 I have hated Notre Dame football.

ND ended Oklahoma's 47 game winning streak 7-0.

From Sufan's post after my post...
VT AD: "Weaver doesn’t know who the ACC’s Orange Bowl opponent will be. In late June, he thought he knew exactly what would happen, but things changed. Weaver didn’t want to get into what changed, because it could impact something else, and that something else is expansion. He’s not going to say who the expansion involves, but if you surveyed everyone in the audience someone would be able to tell you. Weaver thinks it will play out in the not too distance future."

..and this is supported by NCSTATE source...it is getting close...one way or the other!

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8264769/notre-dame-irish-relegated-insignificance

I hate Notre Lame.

But for Reilly to write this - he who signed a five-year, $17 million deal in 2007 - could be hilarious especially if ESPN smartly dumps him next year. Irony.

If only NBC agreed with him...and ESPN (ABC) as they move to the front of the line to televise every ND away game.

They're not going away. And even though their coach loves screaming at his QBs with a whiny looking face, he also knows how to coach, especially on offense. Took them a few tries, but they will have gotten this one right.

Sorry world, but at least we're guaranteed some good payouts and exposure for an upcoming 4 year period.

Sorry world, but at least we're guaranteed some good payouts and exposure for an upcoming 4 year period.

Kelly's screaming is off-putting. hard guy to root for. But I actually agree with the quoted part above and think people should have been loving ND for most of the past 20 years -- The Irish have been gift-wrapping lopsided Ws for good programs on national television with a big gate. Doesn't get much better than that.

ive been screaming for this for a while.

the big5 confs should just freeze them the F out.

'listen, you suck. we're not going to cater to you anymore. if nbc wants to give you a gazillion dolllars, fine. but we will not be letting our teams play you. go play navy. go play san diego st. go play the bigeast teams. we're done. good bye.'

that should force them into a conf, then they will settle in as the 5th or 6th best team and realignment will be overwith.

i dont care if this conspiracy is done above or below the table, just tell them its over.

I'm not sure I get why they would have much motivation to do this?

ND being afforded a national platform and a ton of media attention while simultaneously being no good is really the best-case scenario for most of these schools.

And you think all of these programs that bounce around from conference to conference for a few mil a year would all work together in perfect harmony and not screw each other over?

My biggest concern with ND right now is that they might turn the corner back into football relevance. With all of those recruits how can they continue to flail like they have?

I'm not sure I get why they would have much motivation to do this?

ND being afforded a national platform and a ton of media attention while simultaneously being no good is really the best-case scenario for most of these schools.

And you think all of these programs that bounce around from conference to conference for a few mil a year would all work together in perfect harmony and not screw each other over?
why would they not have motivation??

there are 6 confs, the ACC, SEC, b1g, pac, bevo and the conf of notre dame.

there used to be a 7th , the bigeast. but the above 6 worked together and crushed it into oblivion.

explain to me this gem as well: 'ND being afforded a national platform and a ton of media attention while simultaneously being no good is really the best-case scenario for most of these schools.'

i understand the no good part, but why would they not want their $$ and attention for themselves?

why would they not have motivation??

there are 6 confs, the ACC, SEC, b1g, pac, bevo and the conf of notre dame.

there used to be a 7th , the bigeast. but the above 6 worked together and crushed it into oblivion.

True, but one of those conferences that gets ND potentially -- deservedly or not -- a windfall in their TV contract. How does that help everyone else not in that conference? I would tend to think this would pit the conferences against one another rather than unify them.

explain to me this gem as well: 'ND being afforded a national platform and a ton of media attention while simultaneously being no good is really the best-case scenario for most of these schools.'

i understand the no good part, but why would they not want their $$ and attention for themselves?

Because ND being gone doesn't mean a school like SU gets that attention. I suppose it doesn't hurt them, but ultimately you want big ratings and national attention. Having powerful programs, as much as we hate or envy them, is good for everyone in terms of generating interest in the sport as a whole. You just hope your program becomes one of the big boys.