Notre Dame's Swarbrick: ACC will be best conference in Nation | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame's Swarbrick: ACC will be best conference in Nation

Great piece.

I think he's right.

When one considers all sports and academics and the eastern angle - the media center of the world - the ACC is or will be the best.

Great piece.

I think he's right.

When one considers all sports and academics and the eastern angle - the media center of the world - the ACC is or will be the best.

Is it not at least a little ironic, but predictable, that Swarbrick would trumpet the league as the greatest in the nation on multiple levels, and yet ND is only a partial member?

So, the ACC is, or will become, the greatest thing since slice bread...second only to ND football independence.

Is it not at least a little ironic, but predictable, that Swarbrick would trumpet the league as the greatest in the nation on multiple levels, and yet ND is only a partial member?

So, the ACC is, or will become, the greatest thing since slice bread...second only to ND football independence.

My take has been this.

ND is for all practical purposes a full member of the ACC.

But for now it has to present to its constituents or to the world as "independent" in football.

Eventually the need to be called "independent" will dissipate and the reality/truth will be public.

Like Obama and gay marriage - it's politics.

My take has been this.

ND is for all practical purposes a full member of the ACC.

But for now it has to present to its constituents or to the world as "independent" in football.

Eventually the need to be called "independent" will dissipate and the reality/truth will be public.

Like Obama and gay marriage - it's politics.

Politics huh? I thought it was money...

Politics huh? I thought it was money...

Agreed.

It's about money.

But I believe that Swarbick has every intention of being a "full" member of the ACC while he manuevers to get the consensus he needs to move the ball.

In that sense it does have a political angle to it.

So, yeah, I think ND is for all practical intents and purposes a full member of the ACC.

Agreed.

It's about money.

But I believe that Swarbick has every intention of being a "full" member of the ACC while he manuevers to get the consensus he needs to move the ball.

In that sense it does have a political angle to it.

So, yeah, I think ND is for all practical intents and purposes a full member of the ACC.

This I agree with but he understands the "old money" ND crowd would no accept this out right so he has to make planned moves to ease ND into this slowly so as not to ruffle to many feathers.

My guess is that when the playoffs expand and that the ACC champion gets an autobid into the tournament, Notre Dame will want two shots at making it in, not just fighting for the at-large spot.

Those crazy irish annoy me but I love this for what it infers. A big take that to the BIG.. enjoy rutgirls and Maryland.

Those crazy irish annoy me but I love this for what it infers. A big take that to the BIG.. enjoy rutgirls and Maryland.

I honestly feel bad for some of the Maryland fans. The majority do not want to leave the ACC. They want to remain with their longtime rivals. But, there are enough of the others that've made me glad that they're leaving.

I honestly feel bad for some of the Maryland fans. The majority do not want to leave the ACC. They want to remain with their longtime . But, there are enough of the others that've made me glad that they're leaving.

i can't say I feel bad for them - I work with quite a few and for the most part they annoy me. A lot of them jumped on the otto porter bandwagon saying the hoyas were going to to the FF- and then dunk city happened. Aside from that I see your point - I don't see it as a move that makes a lot of sense. It is at best a lateral move and one they make going into a conference with many unfamiliar foes. At least we are headed to face some not so unfamiliar faces in miami, tech, BC, Pitt as well as newfound orange buddies clemson. I haven't been there in a while but a close friend of mine went to clemson and I visited her a few times. It was a blast and I really enjoyed the people down there.

I feel bad for MD leaving I remember before the BE football how deep the SU vs MD rivaly ran deep in football some things are just sad. I will however not miss buttgirls!

I honestly feel bad for some of the Maryland fans. The majority do not want to leave the ACC. They want to remain with their longtime . But, there are enough of the others that've made me glad that they're leaving.

We're supposed to be their rival in the conference, and I won't really miss them either. I'm just as excited to form new rivalries with the new ACC members as I am Maryland. And thank the heavens that the Administration and Athletic Department at UVA was smart enough not to follow them.

I follow the realigment stories on many boards of schools involved in it. I see a genuine excitement from Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville, and even Rutgers on their moves. When I go on the Maryland Board, I don't. When I talk to Maryland alumns that I know, they aren't happy with their move. In about a decade we'll know if Dr. Wallace Loh is viewed in the Maryland community as a hero or a goat. They are entering a demographically challenged league that is trying to grab members outside its midwest home area to survive. Notre Dame decided to join outside of the same area for its future. The Big Ten has money today, but will that sustain itself?

I think the ACC's strategy is to be the East Coast League. The ACC is new to the northeast, and will be trying to fit in there just like the Big Ten says it wants to do. The Big Ten is trying a blocking strategy against the ACC. I hope it fails. I feel a whole lot better with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Boston College than I would with Maryland and Rutgers. Penn State helps the Big Ten, but the ACC has some heavy hitters too.

We're supposed to be their rival in the conference, and I won't really miss them either. I'm just as excited to form new rivalries with the new ACC members as I am Maryland. And thank the heavens that the Administration and Athletic Department at UVA was smart enough not to follow them.

The few UVA fans I know care more about VPI and UNC than UMD, and, its not even close. I mean, its not UMD's fault that other ACC schools somebody else as their main rival, or, a bigger rival. Their biggest mistake in realignment was DEMANDING that Duke be one of the two teams they faced in hoops annually. Did they really believe that the Dukies would view them as a greater rival than either UNC or NCSU? No way.

I mean, there were some great games in those times, but, it wasn't a real rivalry.

I follow the realigment stories on many boards of schools involved in it. I see a genuine excitement from Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville, and even Rutgers on their moves. When I go on the Maryland Board, I don't. When I talk to Maryland alumns that I know, they aren't happy with their move. In about a decade we'll know if Dr. Wallace Loh is viewed in the Maryland community as a hero or a goat. They are entering a demographically challenged league that is trying to grab members outside its midwest home area to survive. Notre Dame decided to join outside of the same area for its future. The Big Ten has money today, but will that sustain itself?

Agreed. Of the schools you mentioned, UMD's is by and large not real happy with the move. Especially former Terps' hoops great Tom McMillen.

If Maryland succeeds in the B10, where they could not in the ACC, Loh will be viewed as a hero. If they don't succeed, he will be Public Enemy No 1 there. JMHO...

I think the ACC's strategy is to be the East Coast League. The ACC is new to the northeast, and will be trying to fit in there just like the Big Ten says it wants to do. The Big Ten is trying a blocking strategy against the ACC. I hope it fails. I feel a whole lot better with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Boston College than I would with Maryland and Rutgers. Penn State helps the Big Ten, but the ACC has some heavy hitters too.

Yeah, being THE east coast league has been Swofford's objecive all along. Had he been able to lure Penn State away, it would've been game-set-match, ACC.

How is the B10 blocking the ACC? By taking Maryland, who have one of the most apathetic fanbases in all of major college sports? Who spent themselves into near total bankruptcy? And, who fired both sides of one othe best FB-hoops coaching tandems in the country?

Or, by taking Rutgers, whom the ACC never showed even a passing interest in?

If that is Jim Delany's best shot at the ACC, he fired nothing but blanks there. :)

This I agree with but he understands the "old money" ND crowd would no accept this out right so he has to make planned moves to ease ND into this slowly so as not to ruffle to many feathers.

Sorry. ND alumni and fans, even (especially?) "old money" ones, are not this naive, unintelligent and uninformed.

To be true, it must be that everyone else in the world, including all other schools' message board fans, know about this "subterfuge", but ND people are somehow not in on this "secret".

C'mon.

Thought you all would like to see this from the Notre Dame network...it really places some interesting thoughts into the reason they joined with the ACC...my word is that over time it happens...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/notre_dame_ad_jack_swarbrick_o.html[/quote]

My prediction is that the Notre Dame Subway Alumni and fans will need to go through 2 cycles through the ACC lineup to "test drive" the league in football before this gets revisited by Notre Dame. That's a minimum of 7 years from now since they don't start playing ACC in football until 2014. The best way to get Notre Dame fans comfortable with this is to have some rivalries develop with ACC schools that Notre Dame has no experience with in football. UVA has only played Notre Dame once ever in football for instance. I don't think they've ever played Virginia Tech. I think Clemson only once. When Notre Dame fans start to like these games on the schedule and develop interest in them, that's when they will consider joining. They won't want to wait 6 years for another home game with so and so. Right now many of ND football fans look at the 5 ACC games as an obligation, and not games of interest circled on their calendar.

Sorry. ND alumni and fans, even (especially?) "old money" ones, are not this naive, unintelligent and uninformed.

To be true, it must be that everyone else in the world, including all other schools' message board fans, know about this "subterfuge", but ND people are somehow not in on this "secret".

C'mon.

No but ND's Chicago fanbase has held tremendous power inside ND. Many of them are skeptical of the ACC move because it moves them further from the Chicago powerbase and being less independant. Moving towards Eastern roots and away the strong Midwestern powerbrokers that always believed that the Big1 held their greatest rivalries is a big transition for them. It's not about secrets , it's about adjusting to change and accommodating old traditional egos. I think it's allowing time for diplomacy and allowing the changes to sink in and hopefully flourish.

No but ND's Chicago fanbase has held tremendous power inside ND. Many of them are skeptical of the ACC move because it moves them further from the Chicago powerbase and being less independant. Moving towards Eastern roots and away the strong Midwestern powerbrokers that always believed that the Big1 held their greatest rivalries is a big transition for them. It's not about secrets , it's about adjusting to change and accommodating old traditional egos. I think it's allowing time for diplomacy and allowing the changes to sink in and hopefully flourish.

Agreed. These are the Subway Alumni. Never went to Notre Dame, but they sell out every home game. They are from Chicago and they take the train apparently. These people do not know ACC teams. It's too overwhelming to spring ACC teams on them. So I think this is a multi step process as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

The Powerbase part can be overcome if they start to like the rivalries with ACC schools. But it will take time.

C'mon.
There were the rumors that when Notre Dame was talking with the ACC, Texas was also. There also are rumors of a long term series between the 2 schools, and both AD's are good friends. Texas coming in for 5 games on a temporary basis, with the Notre Dame game as a 6th, in short order both could be all in. That conference would trump all conferences. The only area of recruiting you wouldn't have a strong foothold would be California.

So ND should join full time, and for the 16th member, we just add Michigan.

Win/win. Everyone's happy.