Now arriving... | Syracusefan.com

Now arriving...

Williams is going to have a real opportunity.

Thompson as well.

If Williams gets an opportunity than we are in trouble.

Not sure about that, competition and rotatings a strength at the skills positions. Johnson’s got to work to maintain his starting role and we don’t know who’s replacing Riley. I doubt this kid cracks the two deep his freshmen year but if he does, it’s not for lack of competition/talent.

You think we're in trouble if a true freshman WR from Belle Glades, Florida cracks the rotation?

25 kids and 6 WR's from that HS have made the NFL. At one time that HS produced the most NFL players than any other high school HS in the country.

Last edited:
You think we're in trouble if a true freshman WR from Belle Glades, Florida cracks the rotation?

25 kids and 6 WR's from that HS have made the NFL. At one time that HS produced the most NFL players than any other high school HS in the country.

Yeah I do because we have 10 scholarship WRs already in school, 8 of which will be in at least their 3rd year in the program. If he comes in as a true fresh and gets a ton of snaps then either he's a superstar which is great or our wr recruiting is a mess given the numbers involved.

Taj Harris was an important rotation guy in 2018 as a True Frosh.

I would assume that every member of the board is aware of that. Not the same situation given that we are now moving on to where all of the WRs on the roster are Dino's guys and there are a ton of them that have multiple years in the system.

I would assume that every member of the board is aware of that. Not the same situation given that we are now moving on to where all of the WRs on the roster are Dino's guys and there are a ton of them that have multiple years in the system.

true freshman start all over the country even for the top teams. It doesn’t necessarily spell trouble.

I don't understand your logic. Alabama has freshmen who come in and supplant redshirt juniors.

I don't understand your logic. Alabama has freshmen who come in and supplant redshirt juniors.

Ok, so you are using the elite top 1% of recruits as your example. I'm looking at our specific example of a WR coming in that is nowhere near that caliber of recruit who we were battling Illinois and Indiana for.

I don't understand your logic either. We beat out 2 fairly mediocre programs(yes they had decent years this year) for a FL kid in a heavily recruited area that was passed over by the local programs, if said kid then comes in and passes 4 or 5 of Dino recruited WRs that have 3+ years in the system then yes that is troubling to me. I've already stated that maybe he is a superstar, 3 star guys becomes 1st rd NFL picks all the time, the probability of being that is obviously extremely slim.

Any kid could end up a steal or could end up never stepping on the field. I know that is is blasphemy for most here to not just assume that every recruit coming in is going to be an impact player. I would rather assume that their abilities are in line with who we were recruiting against to bring the kid in. Also need to factor in the area, so as you say that school is an NFL pipeline so that means that EVERYONE saw him and yet he did not become a priority to higher level schools. I acknowledge that teams miss on guys frequently so no need for folks to follow up with the usual Dungey or Cisco responses as if those are more the rule than exception.

Hope to see/have a spring game and find out a little more about these gentlemen.

Curious what the success rate is for freshmen that show up in January compared to August regarding snap time? Wasn't Jones (LB) a Jan enrolloyee last year?

Ok, so you are using the elite top 1% of recruits as your example. I'm looking at our specific example of a WR coming in that is nowhere near that caliber of recruit who we were battling Illinois and Indiana for.

I don't understand your logic either. We beat out 2 fairly mediocre programs(yes they had decent years this year) for a FL kid in a heavily recruited area that was passed over by the local programs, if said kid then comes in and passes 4 or 5 of Dino recruited WRs that have 3+ years in the system then yes that is troubling to me. I've already stated that maybe he is a superstar, 3 star guys becomes 1st rd NFL picks all the time, the probability of being that is obviously extremely slim.

Any kid could end up a steal or could end up never stepping on the field. I know that is is blasphemy for most here to not just assume that every recruit coming in is going to be an impact player. I would rather assume that their abilities are in line with who we were recruiting against to bring the kid in. Also need to factor in the area, so as you say that school is an NFL pipeline so that means that EVERYONE saw him and yet he did not become a priority to higher level schools. I acknowledge that teams miss on guys frequently so no need for folks to follow up with the usual Dungey or Cisco responses as if those are more the rule than exception.
The mention of Alabama was a response to your implication that somehow all 'croots in a class are equal and fit a bell curve. They are not. It's an art, not a science. Sometimes lower ranked 'croots come in ready and sometimes higher ranked 'croots never pan out. Insert any school you want instead of Alabama. Ball State, Boise State, Bucknell, whatever.

Also, if I'm remembering this correctly, Williams wasn't officially qualified to early-enroll until November or December, meaning the bigger fish may have backed off, while Cuse stayed on him. There's many other factors in play aside from perceived athletic abilities.

The mention of Alabama was a response to your implication that somehow all 'croots in a class are equal and fit a bell curve. They are not. It's an art, not a science. Sometimes lower ranked 'croots come in ready and sometimes higher ranked 'croots never pan out. Insert any school you want instead of Alabama. Ball State, Boise State, Bucknell, whatever.

Also, if I'm remembering this correctly, Williams wasn't officially qualified to early-enroll until November or December, meaning the bigger fish may have backed off, while Cuse stayed on him. There's many other factors in play aside from perceived athletic abilities.

Of course. My main point was purely numbers based. We have brought in A LOT of receives the past few classes and unless this kid is something really special then I think it would be a troublesome sign if he's playing a lot this year. That's simply because he would have to pass a lot of experienced guys to get there. Counterpoint is that most of those same guys may be going into year 3 of practicing within the system but have not played a whole lot of actual meaningful snaps so if he has more natural physical talent and can pick things up quick then maybe it would not be all that difficult to surpass a few guys.

I think the view or lens you look at this through is simple. A coach is always looking to increase talent levels. If you have upgraded the talent and the talent has earned its way onto the playing field then so be it.

Of course. My main point was purely numbers based. We have brought in A LOT of receives the past few classes and unless this kid is something really special then I think it would be a troublesome sign if he's playing a lot this year. That's simply because he would have to pass a lot of experienced guys to get there. Counterpoint is that most of those same guys may be going into year 3 of practicing within the system but have not played a whole lot of actual meaningful snaps so if he has more natural physical talent and can pick things up quick then maybe it would not be all that difficult to surpass a few guys.

We actually have 10 scholarship WR's going into spring. Williams will make 11. Hendrix is not cleared so back to 10 total.

Taj Harris is the only returning starter so there are at least 2 starter minute spots wide open. .

NJohnson, CJackson and Lutz are likely slots. Not sure yet where they like JaVante.

There's plenty of room for an impact freshman WR since we play a lot of 4 WR sets and if he jumps the juniors and sophomores so be it. You always want to improve your roster.

SR Nykeim Johnson WR 5-8 172 Washington, D.C. / Friendship Academy

RJr Russell Thompson-Bishop WR 6-1 223 Bloomfield, Conn. / Bloomfield
RJr Sharod Johnson WR 5-11 179 Miami, Fla. / Booker T. Washington
JR Taj Harris WR 6-2 175 Beverly, N.J. / Palmyra
RJR Cameron Jordan WR 6-3 216 Wheatley Heights, N.Y. / Half Hollow Hills West

RSo Anthony Queeley WR 6-2 197 Orlando, Fla. / Lake Nona
RSo Ed Hendrix WR 6-3 208 Washington, D.C. / H.D. Woodson
RSo Cooper Lutz WR 6-0 205 Reading, Pa. / Berks Catholic

RFr Courtney Jackson WR 5-10 171 Monroeville, Pa. / Gateway
RFr Kevin Mital WR 6-1 222 Saint-Hubert, Quebec, Canada / André-Grasset College

SLOT - Johnson, Jackson and Lutz

Hendrix - hurt