Now it all makes perfect sense to me | Syracusefan.com

Now it all makes perfect sense to me

SWC75

Bored Historian
A couple of weeks ago my computer monitor started to flicker. the problem lasted a couple of days, then seemed to solve itself. My normal response it to hope problems I don't know how to solve go away - and it worked again! Except the screen seemed darker, especially at the top. I had to squint at what was written and use a magnifying glass. Putting a flashlight on it did no good.

Then, a few days ago, I noted a peculiar fragrance in the room. I couldn't quite place it, but it was a little like lavender. I had some plants nearby but no flowers. I checked for gas leaks, overheating electrical equipment, neighbors using lighter fluid for barbeques, even skunks burrowing under my porch. It didn't smell like any of that and I couldn't determine the source.

Today I found the source. I turned on my computer monitor and smoke started coming out of it. I swiftly concluded that I should no longer be using this monitor and turned everything off an disconnected it. This was actually the monitor that came with a dell computer I bought about 2008. it continued to work so I saw no necessity to buy a new one just because I had bought a new computer, (and another and another) from HP. I went over to Office Max and purchased a new monitor, this one 24 inches instead of 18 and manufactured in this decade instead the of one before last.

Anyway I somehow got it hooked up correctly and now have a big, bright monitor that allows me to see everything beautifully. Taking another look at the posts on this board, I now see that that I agree with everyone about everything and we can all live happily ever after. I just thought you should know.

Congrats on the new monitor, and for getting such great mileage out of the old one!

A couple of weeks ago my computer monitor started to flicker. the problem lasted a couple of days, then seemed to solve itself. My normal response it to hope problems I don't know how to solve go away - and it worked again! Except the screen seemed darker, especially at the top. I had to squint at what was written and use a magnifying glass. Putting a flashlight on it did no good.

Then, a few days ago, I noted a peculiar fragrance in the room. I couldn't quite place it, but it was a little like lavender. I had some plants nearby but no flowers. I checked for gas leaks, overheating electrical equipment, neighbors using lighter fluid for barbeques, even skunks burrowing under my porch. It didn't smell like any of that and I couldn't determine the source.

Today I found the source. I turned on my computer monitor and smoke started coming out of it. I swiftly concluded that I should no longer be using this monitor and turned everything off an disconnected it. This was actually the monitor that came with a dell computer I bought about 2008. it continued to work so I saw no necessity to buy a new one just because I had bought a new computer, (and another and another) from HP. I went over to Office Max and purchased a new monitor, this one 24 inches instead of 18 and manufactured in this decade instead the of one before last.

Anyway I somehow got it hooked up correctly and now have a big, bright monitor that allows me to see everything beautifully. Taking another look at the posts on this board, I now see that that I agree with everyone about everything and we can all live happily ever after. I just thought you should know.
New monitors are nice. You might want to consider getting a second one like the one you just bought and going dual monitor. It will change your life for the better.

New monitors are nice. You might want to consider getting a second one like the one you just bought and going dual monitor. It will change your life for the better.
I have 4 hooked up to this computer.. life is grand. not as good as when i went into work and had 6, but this will suffice.

Let me guess. One for work. One for this site. One for gambling. One for pron.
ha.. at work. one was for streaming horses though. this time of yr for day baseball.

I have 4 hooked up to this computer.. life is grand. not as good as when i went into work and had 6, but this will suffice.
Six? Did you do them side by side or go 2 x 3? I would think 2 x 3 would be better for me.

I have 3 at work and 2 at home.

I've no room for that - on my desktop or in my brain.

1649879941288.png

Six? Did you do them side by side or go 2 x 3? I would think 2 x 3 would be better for me.

I have 3 at work and 2 at home.
I had 4 on desk level and then risers for 2 more over the top.. Unlike what Bees thinks I did get work done.

one for email/calendar/chat crap
one for various databases
one for server connections
one for coding
one for testing what ever i was coding
one for stuff

then 2 other computers open as needed with 2 monitors

my home office doesnt have the room

laptop with 2 monitors
pc with 4
and another pc with just the one monitor

But I do have multiple office TVs as well so dont need the computers to stream stuff here

Wait until we're a few games in and you've seen us inbound the ball a dozen or so times... You'll hate the monitor at that point.

At least the new one won't be smoking or add to the smell.

This is a post you think in your head versus post out loud.

I have 2x HP 27" IPS monitors wasting space in my closet (original boxes) they've been there for like 2 years now. If you ever need a new monitor(s) for next to nothing I'd be happy to send em on over.

I had 4 on desk level and then risers for 2 more over the top.. Unlike what Bees thinks I did get work done.

one for email/calendar/chat crap
one for various databases
one for server connections
one for coding
one for testing what ever i was coding
one for stuff

then 2 other computers open as needed with 2 monitors

my home office doesnt have the room

laptop with 2 monitors
pc with 4
and another pc with just the one monitor

But I do have multiple office TVs as well so dont need the computers to stream stuff here
And none of those have capital letters that work...;)

Last edited:
What’s a monitor? Is that what you use to keep an eye on the neighbors? I use my laptop or phone to access this forum and I still have space in the room for my large screen TV, a few beers and a bowl of chips and some popcorn.

Mt wife brought home this thing that looks like a small oven, only no gas line and the door opens sideways. Anyways, she says it heats up food really fast (i was skeptical). So, yesterday, at lunch time, I was heating up some leftovers on the stove and it was taking forever, so I figured I'd try this thing out, see if it really works. I put the food in and pushed the buttons and the stupid thing just started sparking and smoking. So, after about 30 seconds of this, I figured it was a waste of money, I opened the door, took out my lunch in the tried and true cast iron skillet and put it back on the stove top to finish reheating it.
I guess my point is, technology ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Mt wife brought home this thing that looks like a small oven, only no gas line and the door opens sideways. Anyways, she says it heats up food really fast (i was skeptical). So, yesterday, at lunch time, I was heating up some leftovers on the stove and it was taking forever, so I figured I'd try this thing out, see if it really works. I put the food in and pushed the buttons and the stupid thing just started sparking and smoking. So, after about 30 seconds of this, I figured it was a waste of money, I opened the door, took out my lunch in the tried and true cast iron skillet and put it back on the stove top to finish reheating it.
I guess my point is, technology ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom