Now that Hawaii needs a new HC | Syracusefan.com

Now that Hawaii needs a new HC

I hope they don’t come sniffing around Mr. Anae.

He was a finalist in 2020 and is considered one of the strongest candidates again.

It is only -7 right now in Syracuse. Last I knew, he was still in Hawaii, relaxing. I bet if they call him, he answers the phone. These are good problems though. You want a coaching staff that other schools are interested in hiring.

He was a finalist in 2020 and is considered one of the strongest candidates again.

It is only -7 right now in Syracuse. Last I knew, he was still in Hawaii, relaxing. I bet if they call him, he answers the phone. These are good problems though. You want a coaching staff that other schools are interested in hiring.

Not if you never reap the benefit of said coach, coaching at your school.

If DB hadn't been retained, he would have gotten that job in a heartbeat. I don't think he would have minded that much either.

Why would any one want to go there. JB won a tournament there in November a few years ago and he was not impressed. The quote went something like this, "What's the big deal about the weather. It's like Syracuse in July.

Why would any one want to go there. JB won a tournament there in November a few years ago and he was not impressed. The quote went something like this, "What's the big deal about the weather. It's like Syracuse in July.
Not sure but I was watching the golf tournament on TV and was thinking Hawaii looks pretty good right now

Agree but you want to get the benefits of having a good coach before other programs start sniffing around. Coaches getting poached before they ever coach for us is of no good to us.

Last edited:
Agree but you want to get the benefits of having a good coach before other programs start sniffing around. Coaches getting poached before they ever coach for us is of is no good to us.
Exactly. Zach Arnett did jack squat to help SU. This would be a disaster if it happened at this stage of the hiring cycle.

Frankly, I've wondered why Anae wasn't offered an HC job somewhere already.

Just so we're up to speed...

Anae and Beck are headed to Hawaii...

Tony White is headed to UCLA to replace Jerry Azzinaro...

Sean Tucker is giving up football so he can qualify for the 2024 Olympics in Paris...

And we're out of coffee.

:oops:

I love the Hawaiian islands, but I understand this. Honolulu, to me, is not impressive at all. Super crowded and pretty run down outside of the resorts that are piled on top of each other. North shore of Oahu is heaven though.

Trying to be positive, I think Robert and Jason have integrity and will honor their SYR commitment and not leave us in a lurch

Agree but you want to get the benefits of having a good coach before other programs start sniffing around. Coaches getting poached before they ever coach for us is of is no good to us.
i hear you.

I am not particularly concerned.

Hawaii just had a falling out with a HC who treated people badly and had no people skills. Robert has a distinguished resume but is 63 and has never been hired as a HC. I think we all know why.

Given the circumstances that created this opening, I expect Hawaii to overreact and find someone that is really likable, with a background alums and fans can rally around. Probably will be an alum.

I love the Hawaiian islands, but I understand this. Honolulu, to me, is not impressive at all. Super crowded and pretty run down outside of the resorts that are piled on top of each other. North shore of Oahu is heaven though.
The massive homeless and raging meth problem is a huge turnoff to me. I’ve never been approached by so many aggressive out of there mind junkies and I’ve worked in some shady areas in my life. Once you leave the resorts and the main drag through Waikiki you are fair game to the insane asylum patients that call that place home.

Just so we're up to speed...

Anae and Beck are headed to Hawaii...

Tony White is headed to UCLA to replace Jerry Azzinaro...

Sean Tucker is giving up football so he can qualify for the 2024 Olympics in Paris...

And we're out of coffee.

:oops:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard this all...waut, did you say we're out of coffee???

Anea if offered should take the Hawaii job I don’t think it gets any better for a guy who’s 62 or 63

Two most important coaches to hold onto are White and Beck anyways.

Last edited: