Now this is what I want to hear | Syracusefan.com

Now this is what I want to hear

Cuse'91

All American
Really liked what I read in Mink article... While admirable, I've always felt Dino is too loyal to upperclassmen when it comes to playing time. This also applied to his coaching staff as well. You have to see and react faster to evidence presented before your eyes regarding who to play. The prime example was Devin Butler imo...
Young players I what to see regularly going forward:
WR - Ed Hendrix, Courtney Jackson
OL - Josh Ilaoa, Mark Petry (because, how can it be worse?)
RB - Sean Tucker

I'd throw Barron in there too. He's a player.
This has all been covered and I'm no football strategist, but when the initial game plan is failing utilize: TEs, middle of the field, hit the slot receiver instead for 4 yards instead of a run play for 4 feet and a cloud of ground up tires, a pitch, a jet sweep (something around the edge).
I don't know. Just don't play into their hands by being predictable. Reassess targeting Taj excessively, running up the middle on 1st (or maybe on any down), fade back feel pressure move to the right yada, yada.
Fight the habit!! Free the Offense! Go down in flames, not in dispiriting familiarity!

Im fine with Johnson in the slot, I do think Queeley and Ed should get more looks down the sideline.

Think our running woes are scheme not personnel.

FR are never the answer at OL. It can get worse and playing freshmen is how.

After he finished 14th grade.(Don't they go 2 more years in Canada?)

He was still a newbie.

Just saying that some new kids might still be able to contribute. Josh Ilaoa is smaller than Bergeron but he's a very large freshman.

No way should Taj come off the field. This whole forum has been raving about Jawhar Jordan for 730 + days and now are ready for someone else to play...after Jordan played 1 game?

I don't know, fellas. I don't think game 1 was a personnel issue (save one or 2 people). I definitely believe that the issues are 1) a new coordinator and 2) very little time to prep the offense. Very little

He was still a newbie.

Just saying that some new kids might still be able to contribute. Josh Ilaoa is smaller than Bergeron but he's a very large freshman.
Carlos Vetterolo helped slavage that offensive line last year when he moved to center and Servais kicked out to Tackle. No way should he be removed from the equation ...and I liked Ilaoa's highlight film better than the other offensive linemen highlights.

Carlos Vetterolo helped slavage that offensive line last year when he moved to center and Servais kicked out to Tackle. No way should he be removed from the equation ...and I liked Ilaoa's highlight film better than the other offensive linemen highlights.
I'm not so sure about him anymore. Wouldn't mind shelving the Vettorello experiment temporarily...

Always tempting to throw out new names, bench guys who must be better than what we are seeing.

I expect Dino will work with what we have, and try to build cohesion on the OL and Devito's timing with the top receivers. Queeley is ahead of Hendrix and needs to play. Maybe Courtney Jackson gets more chances in 4 receiver sets. Maybe the TEs get used more, as we expected coming into the season.

No way should Taj come off the field. This whole forum has been raving about Jawhar Jordan for 730 + days and now are ready for someone else to play...after Jordan played 1 game?

I don't know, fellas. I don't think game 1 was a personnel issue (save one or 2 people). I definitely believe that the issues are 1) a new coordinator and 2) very little time to prep the offense. Very little

Taj better not come off the field and Jordan better not come off the field.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there are adjustments on how we best use them (i.e. Taj in the slot more, Jordan out in space more).

we need someone who can be the 7-10 yd guy in tight spaces, where you dont need 5 yds of space to complete a throw.. the one thing ISH did was allow throws to be less open and move the chains.. Then we need that Phillips guy who can handle the inside stuff, but thats a trust throw. Harris cant be the tough guy and the stretch guy and the slot guy on every play.

I'm still all chips in on Jordan.

I just don't want to see us run him right into the middle of 1500 lbs of man crack all the time.

He probably doesn't want that either.

I don't understand why anybody would. But that seems to be our 1st down strategy.

I just don't want to see us run him right into the middle of 1500 lbs of man crack all the time.

I don't understand why anybody would. But that seems to be our 1st down strategy.
I thought that play (I believe was in the second quarter) to have him line up 25 yards off the line of scrimmage and allow him a running start when he caught the ball was genius. This is the type of thinking. He could line up 3-4 yards behind TD for a run play and gain some speed before hitting the line. This would also give him more room to bounce if he had too (although he bounced a little too often and Dino was hot fast).

I thought that play (I believe was in the second quarter) to have him line up 25 yards off the line of scrimmage and allow him a running start when he caught the ball was genius. This is the type of thinking. He could line up 3-4 yards behind TD for a run play and gain some speed before hitting the line. This would also give him more room to bounce if he had too (although he bounced a little too often and Dino was hot fast).
Yup. Pretty sure that was the play that he got the most yardage.

Creativity is our friend.

“veterans need to produce”

IMO that’s a shot at SJohnson, Pierre and maybe Harris to some degree.

Sharod got a screen pass and lost three yards and then alligator armed the TD pass.

Pierre did nothing with the ball but particularly distressing was his whiff of an easy block leading to a sack. It was particularly eye-opening because his effort was lazy.

Harris we’ve discussed. He’s a very good player, But is not a #1 receiver. Gets knocked off his routes, has occasional drops, isn’t on the same page with the QB, attitude sometimes appears poor.

Courtney Jackson takes Sharod’s targets and the frosh Tucker takes Pierre’s PT. Leave Harris but give the other guys some throws, Queely, Hendrix, Barron.

I think Pierre and Sharod are on the clock.

As a coach for awhile, generally speaking, the guys on the bench weren’t as good as the starters. Hard hitting stuff, I know.

JJ will be fine.
I’m sure that’s the case as they see them everyday. But it’s interesting that Ward always just seemed to play the oldest players and White comes in puts a bunch of young players in and they do great. I just hope the offensive side keeps an open mind

“veterans need to produce”

IMO that’s a shot at SJohnson, Pierre and maybe Harris to some degree.

Sharod got a screen pass and lost three yards and then alligator armed the TD pass.

Pierre did nothing with the ball but particularly distressing was his whiff of an easy block leading to a sack. It was particularly eye-opening because his effort was lazy.

Harris we’ve discussed. He’s a very good player, But is not a #1 receiver. Gets knocked off his routes, has occasional drops, isn’t on the same page with the QB, attitude sometimes appears poor.

Courtney Jackson takes Sharod’s targets and the frosh Tucker takes Pierre’s PT. Leave Harris but give the other guys some throws, Queely, Hendrix, Barron.

I think Pierre and Sharod are on the clock.
Pierre has been waiting to see the field for what 2 years since being deep sixed after a fumble? You think effort would not be an issue and that missed block was just lack of effort.

I was in about 19th grade when I finished college.

(I'm not a doctor)

1600284924633.png

Pierre has been waiting to see the field for what 2 years since being deep sixed after a fumble? You think effort would not be an issue and that missed block was just lack of effort.

he tried to chip the guy with a little shoulder and the DT was like pff whatever and then sacked DeVito. It was in the Center hole, so I thought maybe Pierre did what he did because he was going to go out for a 4 yard pass and turnaround where the MLB would be - but Pierre didnt move. Whiffed the block and then just stood there like he was waiting for another rusher. IDK, if his job was to just block I would've expected him to really engage the kid. It was a bad play.

Last edited:

Jordan should be in the slot or split out, he needs space to be effective. Tucker is almost as fast but bigger, get both on the field to give defenses something to worry about. Would like to have them both as receivers on some plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom