NYS Tourney 30th Anniversary Team | Syracusefan.com

NYS Tourney 30th Anniversary Team

Arangeman

All Conference
5AE664C0-6B9D-406C-B519-1A0268EF9DCF.jpeg

I'm surprised Laettner isn't first team. And surprised Girard isn't there with all the points he scored. Is that former Packers rb Dorsey Levens?

I'm surprised Laettner isn't first team. And surprised Girard isn't there with all the points he scored. Is that former Packers rb Dorsey Levens?

1. Levens played both football and basketball at Nottingham.

2. The 30th Anniversary of the Tournament in Glens Falls was actually in 2010. Might explain why Girard, Jimmy and Buddy Boeheim, and Dejuan Coleman didn't make the list.

3. MOOKIE !!

Wasnt Marbury's Lincoln team State and Federation champs (beating a very strong Christ the King squad)? Wasnt Marbury NY Gatorade Player of the year, a "Burger Boy," and pretty much a consensus national top recruit?
His absence is pretty remarkable.

I'm surprised Jonny Flynn was voted first-team and Paul Harris second team. As I recall, Jonny was essentially the "key" to get Paul. People here were excited about Jonny but were supremely excited about the opportunity to reel in Harris, who was the bigger get at the time. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Also - can anyone explain Bernard Blunt's career to me? I remember him (I was about 12 when he was a senior). Was he recruited by SU? He goes to St. Joe's and averages close to 20 for his first two years. I'm assuming he suffered some catastrophic injury while he was there as his scoring output plummeted.

I'm surprised Jonny Flynn was voted first-team and Paul Harris second team. As I recall, Jonny was essentially the "key" to get Paul. People here were excited about Jonny but were supremely excited about the opportunity to reel in Harris, who was the bigger get at the time. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Also - can anyone explain Bernard Blunt's career to me? I remember him (I was about 12 when he was a senior). Was he recruited by SU? He goes to St. Joe's and averages close to 20 for his first two years. I'm assuming he suffered some catastrophic injury while he was there as his scoring output plummeted.
Have to be honest never heard of benard blunt but I would replace him with Laetter.

He finished his career as the all time leading score in St. Joe’s history. Broken knee cap senior year.

He finished his career as the all time leading score in St. Joe’s history. Broken knee cap senior year.
oof, broken kneecap. Yah, he was rated as #47 in the Philly Enquirer's top 50 Philadelphia college players of all time. Just wondered why his scoring dropped so much. That would explain it!

Kyle Reuter on this list is such a slap in the face to so many good and even mediocre hoopers from CNY. I mean dajuan coleman isn’t represented and he won 3 state chips.

Who would be from there?
Matt Karol, Scott Albright, Scott Wojnas, the late great Kevin Barry, Bubba Montrose, Eric Piekielniak, Dennis Jones, Nick Comenale, Terry Nichols...should I go on?

Matt Karol, Scott Albright, Scott Wojnas, the late great Kevin Barry, Bubba Montrose, Eric Piekielniak, Dennis Jones, Nick Comenale, Terry Nichols...should I go on?
id have to ask my uncle about them. he is the one who graduated from there. i only went until 7th grade lol!

Actually i think i remember nichols. pretty sure that is

edit: yep. pretty sure the 36 mutual friends means something there lol

id have to ask my uncle about them. he is the one who graduated from there. i only went until 7th grade lol!
How old are you and your uncle? Those names pretty much cover the 70’s through the early 2010’s.

How old are you and your uncle? Those names pretty much cover the 70’s through the early 2010’s.
Im 21, my uncle is 30. he was a player for them for a couple years iirc

Actually i think i remember nichols. pretty sure that is

edit: yep. pretty sure the 36 mutual friends means something there lol
His mother is the youngest of 12 kids. Their house was a swarm of activity.

He was probably part of some pretty good teams then.
it feels so long ago lol. i wish i had stayed up in NYM cause i probably would have played basketball. as it was i played Baseball and FB my one year i was there

Have to be honest never heard of benard blunt but I would replace him with Laetter.
6'3-6'4 guard/forward who was strong, quick and a handful to guard. He was one of the most dominate players in the state and one of the best ever to come out of the Syracuse area. He finished his high school career as one of the states top scorers of all time.

He was listed as 3rd in the list of top 75 CNY basketball players. Here is his bio in that list.

3: Bernard Blunt

Jamesville-DeWitt

Class of 1990
  • Graduated 1990 as Sec. III all-time leading scorer 2,507 points (5th all-time in state; 10th overall)
  • 1990 led Red Rams to state Class B title, was MVP of tourney
  • Headed to St. Joseph's from 1990-95 and scored 1,985 points (missed most of 93-94 season with fractured kneecap)
  • Signed as free agent with Baltimore Bullets in Oct. 1996, but didn't last
  • Played pro ball 8 years in Asia and Europe.

Also in 1993, for the Hawks, it was Bernard Blunt, a player with extreme pro-potential like Curry, but with a bona fide NBA scorer’s disposition. His injury was severe as he fractured his knee cap. The terrible injury was only three games into St. Joe’s year versus the University of Arizona Wildcats. Blunt was on his way to eclipsing the (at the time) scoring record of Craig Amos. He was a likely pro, until the injury.

Syracuse was recruiting Bernard Blunt. There was an issue that arose with a forged check and I think Syracuse stopped recruiting him at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom