Obama coming to the Carrier Classic | Syracusefan.com

Obama coming to the Carrier Classic

You mean "going" to the Carrier Classic ... "Coming" would seem to mean he would be coming here. Sorry, grumpy this morning

You mean "going" to the Carrier Classic ... "Coming" would seem to mean he would be coming here. Sorry, grumpy this morning

Hope your day gets better.;)

Remember when Obama WENT to the Duke/Gtown game at Georgetown and Gtown blew Duke away? I wrote him a letter and begged him not to come when Syracuse played there!

...more importantly, why would we want him...he would be disappointed in the non attention he receives next to our legends...and frankly, many would find him unwelcome...get him working on unemployment and the economy...lol

Ummm... The Carrier Classic is being played on an Aircraft Carrier between Mich St. and UNC. We have nothing to do with it. Not sure why people here think we do.

Ummm... The Carrier Classic is being played on an Aircraft Carrier between Mich St. and UNC. We have nothing to do with it. Not sure why people here think we do.
Whenever I see Carrier Classic, I always do a quick double-take. I hope we trademarked that name.;)

Its a honor. Spotlight is good for us. Especially in the new ACC now.

Choose your battles wisely. I think its great he chose a basketball game to come.

Its a honor. Spotlight is good for us. Especially in the new ACC now.

Choose your battles wisely. I think its great he chose a basketball game to come.

Read the article. There's no spotlight on us. He's not coming to a Cuse game.

You're showing your age (or lack of it), Bnoro. The Carrier Classic was played in Syracuse every year between 1977 and 2000 -- as an early season tournament. Some famous, epic games there. In order words, they have stolen OUR words.

what does this have to do with us?
I know you probably already know this, but I will be Mr. Obvious for those fans who think that Syracuse started playing basketball in 2003. We used to host an event called the Carrier Classic. Pretty popular and some good players played in it like David Robinson and Magic Johnson.

Anyway, we beat Navy by 22 in the Carrier Classic. Then they came back to Syracuse and upset the Cuse in the NCAA's. That's right. We were a two seed playing the first two games at home. Better than Boston and Albany. Talk about lack of a home court advantage. Navy shot 52 free throws. One of the worst losses ever.

Of course the next season, the Cuse made it all the way to the Championship game. Then we lost to Indiana and Keith Smart. That loss made people forget all about David Robinson and Navy.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/Classic_64_round_2.html

Whenever I see Carrier Classic, I always do a quick double-take. I hope we trademarked that name.;)

Its this. Many of us that have been following Syracuse for longer than 15 years see a reference to Carrier Classic and immediately think of the tournament hosted at Syracuse every year for such a long time. We understand that the current reference are not to our tournament or anything having to do with SU.

You're showing your age (or lack of it), Bnoro. The Carrier Classic was played in Syracuse every year between 1977 and 2000 -- as an early season tournament. Some famous, epic games there. In order words, they have stolen OUR words.

Can we sue for name rights?
No disrespect or hate meant but they shouldn't disrespect the name we have history with.

I apologize for my oversight of that, but the OP made it sound like we had involvement in this where we clearly have none. Even if they stole the name, I feel like the fact it is being played on an aircraft CARRIER has something to do with CARRIER classic.

I know you probably already know this, but I will be Mr. Obvious for those fans who think that Syracuse started playing basketball in 2003. We used to host an event called the Carrier Classic. Pretty popular and some good players played in it like David Robinson and Magic Johnson.

Anyway, we beat Navy by 22 in the Carrier Classic. Then they came back to Syracuse and upset the Cuse in the NCAA's. That's right. We were a two seed playing the first two games at home. Better than Boston and Albany. Talk about lack of a home court advantage. Navy shot 52 free throws. One of the worst losses ever.

Of course the next season, the Cuse made it all the way to the Championship game. Then we lost to Indiana and Keith Smart. That loss made people forget all about David Robinson and Navy.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/Classic_64_round_2.html

The other game I recall like this was the '86 regular season game in the Dome against Notre Dame - Notre Dame made 41 free throws and is tied Navy for the Dome record for most made free throws made by an opponent. I was at both games, we lost both and they both sucked.

Yeah I keep reading about this and always need to remind myself we're not involved.

Loved the Carrier Classic. Usually had 1 other name team and a couple of slugs. A couple times the slugs won. Young man named Earvin Johnson was the MVP from a losing team as a freshman.

I believe that the Carrier Classic started in the 1980"s and ended in about 2000. There were some great Classics and some stinkers as well. Along with the Navy Classic and remember the Classic with Michigan State and Magic Johnson. Oops, already mentioned.

I was just thinking that wasn't one of the Carrier Classics played in Rochester or was that another tournament that the Cuse played in.

...more importantly, why would we want him...he would be disappointed in the non attention he receives next to our legends...and frankly, many would find him unwelcome...get him working on unemployment and the economy...lol

Classless reply. Perhaps you should be hanging out with Hank Williams.

I was just thinking that wasn't one of the Carrier Classics played in Rochester or was that another tournament that the Cuse played in.
It was a different tournament. I was there. In the finals we played Villanova and it was the year before Nova joined the BE. I think Rory Sparrow was on that team, but could be wrong. Got to see Rollie pull a Knight (before Knight did it) and throw a chair onto the court.

EDIT - it was called (appropriately) the Rochester Classic. Renamed after several years of being called the Kodak Classic.

It was a different tournament. I was there. In the finals we played Villanova and it was the year before Nova joined the BE. I think Rory Sparrow was on that team, but could be wrong. Got to see Rollie pull a Knight (before Knight did it) and throw a chair onto the court.

EDIT - it was called (appropriately) the Rochester Classic. Renamed after several years fo being called the Kodak Classic.

That was in 1979. For some reason, I was thinking that Cuse played in Rochester in the 80's in a tournament against the Bonnies. Now that I am looking through these records it looks like they played in 1986. Not a tourney though.

http://www.orangehoops.org/GameResults/G1979-1980.htmhttp://www.orangehoops.org/GameResults/G1986-1987.htm

Didn't we play them in Rochester in the ECAC at some point in the late-'70s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom