Observations & Expectations | Syracusefan.com

Observations & Expectations

Crusty

Living Legend
A win is a win - period. I know that, however, we have to be careful about our expectations. While GT beat FSU, the Seminoles are a shadow of their former self - witness the shellacking FSU got from Miami (51-10). Although GT has some excellent athletes, GT is not a good team - yet.

Still, the Yellow Jackets racked up 23 first downs compared to our 14 on their way to 453 total yards to our 357 - almost 100 yards more. They outrushed us 275-163 and kept pace in the passing game 178-194. The Ramblin Wrecks kept the ball for 34:08 to our 25:52. We won this game on turnover 5-1.

Two of the four interceptions were clearly the result of pressure on the GT QB Simms. One was fortuitous bouncing off of Nunn's helmet and the other a miscue by Sims.

The defense played a good game of bend but don't break. They created turnovers when needed and were key to the win.
However, the turning point came in the 3rd Quarter on offense. After GT scored to make it 23-20, we answered immediately on 3 plays capped by TD's beautiful 43-yard bomb to Nykeim Johnson to go back up by 10 points.

Some thoughts

Defense

As everyone knows, the defense is very young. How young? Of the 22 players on the 2-Deep, 5 are true freshmen, 4 RS Freshmen, 3 Sophomores and 2 RS Sophomores. That's 14 of the 22 not yet Juniors.

Even considering a weak opponent, we showed some maturity and prowess, especially without the leadership of Cisco. We had 8 QB hurries and 1 sack. Also, 55 solo tackles. I also thought that we had some good in-game adjustments, holding them to only one score in the Q3 and none in Q4. Considering we were on the field nine minutes longer - the same as the Pitt game - that's a pretty good effort.

Now that tape is piling up we can expect opposing coaches to zero in on our weaknesses. Most in the ACC, especially the former BE teams (WVA played the 3-3-5), are familiar with the style. That should be offset by game experience for our guys.

Duke, NC State, Georgia Tech, FSU and Wake Forest are 11-15 in total defense in the ACC (in that order). Pitt and North Carolina are 1 and 2). Except for Clemson and ND perhaps we have played the toughest part of our schedule.

Offense
While this was a considerable improvement over our first two outings, we did face a poor defense so we should have expected a better result. It is always hard to tell how much is a better play versus a weaker opponent.

That said, the line play was much improved. There were some big holes clearly visible on replays and TD was only sacked once. While I might quarrel with the scorekeeper, GT was credited with only 2 QB hurries.

Tommy
Good things happen when you keep your QB upright. If you look at the tape I think you will find that when TD is given 3 seconds he throws good passes. On the long passing TDs, he got the 3-seconds and threw strikes. Whatever you think of him, he throws the best deep ball we have seen in the Dome in quite a long time.

I would give Devito a C+ for this game. He was 13-24 (.541) for 194 yards (8.1 avg.) Two long TDs and one interception. He underthrew that on the run to a wide-open Taj Harris. Babers said in the pressers that he thought Taj should have been able to prevent the interception by knocking the ball from the defender.

There were some busted pass plays and some poor throws. Four carries for 23 yards and a couple of 1st downs but a missed opportunity when he went out-of-bounds a yard early on a scramble. I think Tommy would be the first to tell you he would want those back.

Sean Tucker
Inserting a true freshman as the starter when your QB is the most sacked in CFB, takes guts. Very few are ready for the blocking assignments. Given TD was only sacked once, it is safe to say the staff had confidence #34 could handle it - and he did.

Much has been said already about him so I will only add that he seems to be a more polished runner than his years would imply. He is patient, is quick, gets to the corner and, as we know,, the former track star has break-away speed. He looks like a keeper.

Play-calling

While I scream at the tv as much as the next guy, I try not to get too critical about play-calling because there is another team on the field. To me, play-calling is all about knowing what your guys can actually execute - not what you hope they can execute. Plays executed well rarely fail big-time.

There is an interview with John Madden where he tells a story about attending a Vince Lombardi seminar as a young coach just starting out. Madden says he was so excited and prepared to take a copious note. The first day all VInce discussed was the famous Packer power sweep. Madden was amazed at the detail involved. The next day he was excited to learn about something else but Vince simply continued in minutious detail about the same play. Vince's philosophy was that if properly executed it did not matter that the defense knew what was coming.

We had 5.5 yards per play, which would put us in the middle of the pack in the ACC.

Expectations
I look for marginally improved Oline play as the season progresses (with some big changes next year). If so, the running game will pick up and those two factors will let TD be the TD we expected. If we get some B games and an occasional A game from TD, we will do OK.

Assuming nothing is wrong with Andre, I think the D will continue to impress us. Given the youth, it has the chance of being special over the next few years.

All-in-all, it looks like a tough season ahead but with a great deal of promise for future seasons. I like our chances against Liberty, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State and probably BC. Not sure about L'ville.

LGO turn this thing around!

The line play, and Tommy’s play, will all improve if we can run on first down, and stay away from 2nd and very long. Or get something on swing passes or passes to the TE. Keep away from situations where the defense can bring pressure on Tommy with no worry about anything else.

I did see Tucker miss a block on a guy coming up the gut that led to a sack or throwaway or something not positive. I would’ve crushed a veteran for it like I did Pierre week 1. I assume the youngster will get it cleaned up. Once he does the sky is the limit.

I love stats but at the end of the day the only one I care is the scoreboard. I’ll take fewer points than first downs. Our offense is still bad but i thought it took baby steps forward yesterday. TD still made bad decisions but enough good ones to offset and overall they made enough plays to help out the D andwin the game.

As always I think we can win all 6 of those games and lose all 6. LVille by the way looks like it struggled against Pitt big time.

Expectations
I look for marginally improved Oline play as the season progresses (with some big changes next year).

Crusty-
Why the o line optimism for next year? Several have said it. We lose Servais and gain Bleich. Doesn’t seem like a big change to me. Am I forgetting something?

Florange44

I feel like coming out of the bye we will see a different makeup of the offensive line. That might help the running game a bit.

Idk about the guys saying 6-5, we beat one of the worst teams in the ACC who are in year 2 of a tear it down and start building a foundation team, GT will be really good in 2 years but are not today. Your game analysis is very fair and pretty spot on, the only part i disagree with you on is TD, I struggle to give him a C+ when he's now in year 4, the INT was bad and it's not like our WR's especially taj couldn't get space, he played an ok game, nothing special not a ton to build on. Just like i was after the other 2 games we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves based on one game, if any team wins the TO battle 5-1 and can't win its big trouble. I thought before the game it should go something like this obviously who could've predicted 5-1 on the TO's, let's be optimistic if this looked like the first two games a lot of people would be saying no wins and the sky is falling, we should be able to compete against our peer ACC level teams and win some games, if everything goes our way we could win 5-6 but personally I'm thinking 4 wins.

I start by saying I don't think anyone on this line is exceptional. However, one has good potential.
We have 7 recruits in the last 2 classes. (2 in 2020 and 5 in 2021). They look promising. Hopefully, they provide some new faces on the 2-deep and provide some depth and challenge for PT.

I did see Tucker miss a block on a guy coming up the gut that led to a sack or throwaway or something not positive. I would’ve crushed a veteran for it like I did Pierre week 1. I assume the youngster will get it cleaned up. Once he does the sky is the limit.

I love stats but at the end of the day the only one I care is the scoreboard. I’ll take fewer points than first downs. Our offense is still bad but i thought it took baby steps forward yesterday. TD still made bad decisions but enough good ones to offset and overall they made enough plays to help out the D andwin the game.

As always I think we can win all 6 of those games and lose all 6. LVille by the way looks like it struggled against Pitt big time.
Actually, don't you think one miss with all the snaps he played is pretty good for his 1st game?

Actually, don't you think one miss with all the snaps he played is pretty good for his 1st game?

I didn’t really dial in on his pass blocking. I just noticed the one he missed because it was that bad. The coaches will show him the tape and he’ll correct It, I have no doubt of that.

Excellent overview, Crusty. Well done!

For me, the INT by Devito was really disappointing because it was a heave and prayer type throw off his back foot. No way good things are going to come very often with those. We just need to be able to move the ball more consistently with greater ease.

Great to get a win (obviously) but it took 5 turnovers by our D. No way we're going to repeat that very often and yet, GT was still in the game going into the 4th quarter. Huge win though for the team. With it being our home opener and coming off 2 losses going into a bye, just a big one that we desperately needed. I'm a little more optimistic moving forward in the season, but not by all that much - sort of like my golf game right now.

Something that's getting overlooked is kickoff returns. The blocking has been excellent and Nykeim is showing great burst and vision (and he's 11th in the country in average).

GT stopped kicking to him, essentially handing us the ball between the 35 and 40.

Well you can certainly put BC, Duke, NC State, Wake all in that same sentence (yes, we are as well) and all four are at home. Plus we also have Liberty. Going 3-2 against those 5 would be a real disappointment.

Yep, has everything to do with who they are and where we play them.

We have to stay healthy and keep improving, but I think we'll gain confidence as we go.

Well you can certainly put BC, Duke, NC State, Wake all in that same sentence (yes, we are as well) and all four are at home. Plus we also have Liberty. Going 3-2 against those 5 would be a real disappointment.
Our defense should keep us in the game with most ACC teams, with that being said we will have games like GT did when we loose the TO battle, GT defense really did not play bad gave up 30 points when their offense put them in a lot of bad spot. With that being said idk how at todays stage we beat BC, duke looked solid against ND and pretty bad against BC, chase brice is better than tommy, I think they beat us. A lot of these games will tell us where we really are, wake and NCST are better than we think, both have really good running games, NCST might be the only ACC school who has the QB issues we have. Against those 5 we could go 5-0 and 0-5, liberty has willis the transfer from auburn hugh freeze is no joke, I'm disappointed at where we are, GT didn't do much to change that, we have a very good defense but not all games will go like that and the offense still is bad. Maybe I'm being a pessimist but I don't see clear wins against any of those ACC you named, we could beat them all but very easily could loose them all, we are libertys only P5 opponent so they'll be ready to roll, they should be 4-0 by this game and an undefeated season will help put them on the map which they so desperately want. I hope I'm wrong and they go 7-4 but I just don't see it.

For me, the INT by Devito was really disappointing because it was a heave and prayer type throw off his back foot. No way good things are going to come very often with those. We just need to be able to move the ball more consistently with greater ease.

Great to get a win (obviously) but it took 5 turnovers by our D. No way we're going to repeat that very often and yet, GT was still in the game going into the 4th quarter. Huge win though for the team. With it being our home opener and coming off 2 losses going into a bye, just a big one that we desperately needed. I'm a little more optimistic moving forward in the season, but not by all that much - sort of like my golf game right now.
You make a good point about the throw. I understand the enticement of seeing Taj with a couple of steps on a deep route but he heaved it without planting and didn't have the strength to make the arm throw on the run. An error of commission, which is a bit more forgivable than one of omission.
Something that's getting overlooked is kickoff returns. The blocking has been excellent and Nykeim is showing great burst and vision (and he's 11th in the country in average).

GT stopped kicking to him, essentially handing us the ball between the 35 and 40.
Very good point.

Turnovers were how we got to 10 wins in Dungey's Sr. year. We were one of the leading defenses in the nation in turnovers. Most teams with good records have positive turnover ratio.

Turnovers were how we got to 10 wins in Dungey's Sr. year. We were one of the leading defenses in the nation in turnovers. Most teams with good records have positive turnover ratio.
Yep, it was definitely a positive factor at over 2 take-aways a game. Although that doesn't mean a whole lot if your offense can't score consistently. Back in 2018, Dungey and the O scored over 40 points a game. Therefore, those take-aways resulted in a LOT of points.

If we only get 2 turnovers this past weekend against GT, we likely lose. Our D is playing great - love where they are and excited about their continued development. It's the Offense that I'm (and most people) are concerned about for obvious reasons. Saturday's game was a good step forward, but they just HAVE to get a lot better or we may only get 4 or 5 wins on the season.

Yep, it was definitely a positive factor at over 2 take-aways a game. Although that doesn't mean a whole lot if your offense can't score consistently. Back in 2018, Dungey and the O scored over 40 points a game. Therefore, those take-aways resulted in a LOT of points.

If we only get 2 turnovers this past weekend against GT, we likely lose. Our D is playing great - love where they are and excited about their continued development. It's the Offense that I'm (and most people) are concerned about for obvious reasons. Saturday's game was a good step forward, but they just HAVE to get a lot better or we may only get 4 or 5 wins on the season.

In this game, I don't agree we lose with only 2 turnovers. It wasn't like GT was churning out yards. Also, I believe only 3 of those turnovers resulted in points - 1FG/2TDs (one by the defense), so I'll take those 2 that led to TDs. We win 34-20 without the FG off the first turnover.

And defense % on 3rd down if i remember correctly. Both played a huge roll.

seriously with his Nykiem's punt returns and kickoff returns how did Lustig keep trotting Riley out there the last 2 years. That's not something Nykiem just suddenly became able to do.

In this game, I don't agree we lose with only 2 turnovers. It wasn't like GT was churning out yards. Also, I believe only 3 of those turnovers resulted in points - 1FG/2TDs (one by the defense), so I'll take those 2 that led to TDs. We win 34-20 without the FG off the first turnover.
GT wasn't churning out yards? Georgia Tech massed 453 yards of offense. That's a ton of offense. They also had the ball for over 33 minutes (to our near 26 min) and that's with 5 turnovers!

Looks like you're doing some creative writing because 3 of the turnovers resulted in 17 points. That's 17 points that came directly on the given play or next series - a direct result from the turnovers.

Also, the impact of a turnover doesn't always result in points. That is, you can't just dismiss a turnover because the other team didn't score off it. Obviously, you can't score if you give the ball to the other team. The five turnovers helped stall a GT offense that proved to be pretty effective at moving the ball down field.

All of this said, again, I like the direction we're heading but let's not pretend we're better right now than we are.

You can't play the 'if' game. Fact is through three games our takeaways are more a trend than a one off.

Last edited:
seriously with his Nykiem's punt returns and kickoff returns how did Lustig keep trotting Riley out there the last 2 years. That's not something Nykiem just suddenly became able to do.
I think Nykiem was injured a good chunk of last year and for at least a handful of games in 2018. My guess that is why we didn’t see him more.