Observations on SU's NFL draft history | Syracusefan.com

Observations on SU's NFL draft history

billsin01

All American
Was discussing the talent level on this team with my buddy after the Wagner game and we differed a bit on the younger guys. The disagreement was basically me saying that while obviously Wagner isn't a great measuring stick, I thought the young guys like howard, Taj and Nykeim showed me something on offense and I like the way Trill and Cisco seem to make plays as raw but talented-looking kids at DB. His stance was that there's still not much that jumps off the page in the way of talent.

Anyway, the discussion got me thinking about this program's precipitous decline since the '01 season. We all know talent plays a part -- maybe the largest part -- in the struggles but while a lot of people point to recruiting classes, I feel the NFL draft is a better barometer of where your program stands talent-wise. It's not perfect (you can have really, really good players who aren't NFL guys) but at least it's based on what we've seen on the actual field as opposed to a sort of arbitrary star system.

So we all know we've been miserable lately in this department but in looking at it, I thought there are some interesting trends beyond simply -- we've not been real talented lately. A couple observations:

The program's decline has really seen two phases (hopefully we've hit bottom and are on our way back up)
Our talent at the end of the P era and through the GERG, Marrone and Shafer eras wasn't what it was in the late 80s through Freeney's senior season in 01. We saw it reflected in the record and in recruiting battles (losing kids we often won like D'brickashaw Ferguson, Josh Beekman, a ton of kids from the Island in general, getting almost entirely shut out of NJ, etc.).

But the issue wasn't really as much that we had no NFL talent -- We had multiple players selected in each draft from 07-14 (except for an empty draft in 08) and had four players taken in 06 and three players taken in 04. The issue was more that we couldn't seem to find much difference-making talent, particularly at the skilled positions. So Chandler Jones and Justin Pugh were first-rounders and huge recruits for us, but from 03 to 14, we had just five players taken in the first three rounds. None were offensive skilled position guys.

So that 03-14 era was the first drop -- kind of a gradual talent drain where you saw fewer and fewer offensive difference-makers (even the guys who did get drafted weren't always overly productive in college -- Morant had a good senior season but three empty seasons before that, I forgot we had a running back named Chris Davis, Fiametta was a stud athlete but injured a lot and not terribly productive ...)

But the second era is the 15-18 run (that may be extended to 19 depending of whether or not a kid like Custis might get drafted). In this stretch we've had two players drafted ... both in the second round ... and one was a punter (which is cool for Riley Dixon, don't get me wrong). I mean, a decent MAC team should have a kid drafted somewhere most years. That is an amazingly bad stretch and probably speaks to coaching turnover and some of Shafer's issues not only recruiting (where I thought he was OK)
but in terms of running a well-rounded program, particularly from an S&C standpoint. Regardless, to me that's a whole different era than the previous 11 or 12 years.

Marrone's era is an interesting what-if
I am not one of those guys who is still angry (or ever was angry) that Marrone skipped town. This is a tough job and he got an NFL offer. That is an absolute no-brainer in my book, but whatever. What's interesting is that Marrone is here from 09-12, meaning his players would have started getting drafted (potentially) in the 12 draft (if they left early). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jones and Nassib were technically GERG recruits (I'll still give Marrone credit for developing those guys so relax if you're going to get fired up) and I want to say that Pugh was a GERG commit that stayed committed with Marrone. Again, correct me if I'm wrong ...

BUT technically the number of guys Marrone recruited who eventually got drafted was about four or five -- Spruill, Bromley, Shamarko (definite yeses) and Tiller. is that the list? Now, don't get me wrong. I think Marrone did a pretty nice job here, but DM made no secret that he hated recruiting and I just sort of wonder how it would have played out had he stayed. Not saying it would have been worse, but it's hard to feel like he did Shaf many favors.

Where is that bump from being a P5 school again?
We played our first season in the ACC in 2013 meaning the kids who signed in Feb 2013 knew we were headed there (maybe 2012 as well). Yet we've had just two players selected in the last four drafts -- 7th round and one was a punter -- and we could get shut out again this year.

Now I'm not going to make the crazy leap to say it was a bad idea to move. We had to do it and one look at UConn or other programs left out of expansion obviously shows that wouldn't have been a great fate either. But the odd spot we're in is that we're now one of the worst programs among the 'haves' which means we have to recruit against either better programs or try to sell kids on the value of the ACC (as opposed to the MAC or AAC) but we really don't have any proof we can really compete in this conference (we're 24-39 since moving over, including the two wins this season). Add that to the weather and facilities situations and the bland gameday ... it's a tough road.

Why the 2019 and 2020 drafts will be really interesting
So there is debate -- as there always is -- about whether Dino is a great recruiter and we need to trust the staff vs. the crew that can't figure out why we can't recruit better. I'm in the camp of believing that recruiting is only half the battle -- you need to develop kids.

But at the end of the day we need to start sending players to the NFL again. Babers is in Year 3 meaning his first class (though it's not a full class) comes through in 2020. But he's got some players he's coached for three years that are seniors and some others he's brought into the program from the outside. It will be really interesting (and a great sign, I would say) if we can start sending some kids to the NFL. Pierce/Roberts/Martin/Dungey/Custis -- any of those guys get drafted? In 2020 you've got Frederick, Foster, hoftrichter, and a bunch of DL. Would be great to see a couple draftees the next couple years. I'd have to think that would help recruiting.

Not trying to undercut your analysis, but i think you missed Mike Williams. He's an interesting case though because isnt the story on him that Mike Hopkins actually uncovered him while recruiting Paul Harris or something like that?

Was discussing the talent level on this team with my buddy after the Wagner game and we differed a bit on the younger guys. The disagreement was basically me saying that while obviously Wagner isn't a great measuring stick, I thought the young guys like howard, Taj and Nykeim showed me something on offense and I like the way Trill and Cisco seem to make plays as raw but talented-looking kids at DB. His stance was that there's still not much that jumps off the page in the way of talent.

Anyway, the discussion got me thinking about this program's precipitous decline since the '01 season. We all know talent plays a part -- maybe the largest part -- in the struggles but while a lot of people point to recruiting classes, I feel the NFL draft is a better barometer of where your program stands talent-wise. It's not perfect (you can have really, really good players who aren't NFL guys) but at least it's based on what we've seen on the actual field as opposed to a sort of arbitrary star system.

So we all know we've been miserable lately in this department but in looking at it, I thought there are some interesting trends beyond simply -- we've not been real talented lately. A couple observations:

The program's decline has really seen two phases (hopefully we've hit bottom and are on our way back up)
Our talent at the end of the P era and through the GERG, Marrone and Shafer eras wasn't what it was in the late 80s through Freeney's senior season in 01. We saw it reflected in the record and in recruiting battles (losing kids we often won like D'brickashaw Ferguson, Josh Beekman, a ton of kids from the Island in general, getting almost entirely shut out of NJ, etc.).

But the issue wasn't really as much that we had no NFL talent -- We had multiple players selected in each draft from 07-14 (except for an empty draft in 08) and had four players taken in 06 and three players taken in 04. The issue was more that we couldn't seem to find much difference-making talent, particularly at the skilled positions. So Chandler Jones and Justin Pugh were first-rounders and huge recruits for us, but from 03 to 14, we had just five players taken in the first three rounds. None were offensive skilled position guys.

So that 03-14 era was the first drop -- kind of a gradual talent drain where you saw fewer and fewer offensive difference-makers (even the guys who did get drafted weren't always overly productive in college -- Morant had a good senior season but three empty seasons before that, I forgot we had a running back named Chris Davis, Fiametta was a stud athlete but injured a lot and not terribly productive ...)

But the second era is the 15-18 run (that may be extended to 19 depending of whether or not a kid like Custis might get drafted). In this stretch we've had two players drafted ... both in the second round ... and one was a punter (which is cool for Riley Dixon, don't get me wrong). I mean, a decent MAC team should have a kid drafted somewhere most years. That is an amazingly bad stretch and probably speaks to coaching turnover and some of Shafer's issues not only recruiting (where I thought he was OK)
but in terms of running a well-rounded program, particularly from an S&C standpoint. Regardless, to me that's a whole different era than the previous 11 or 12 years.

Marrone's era is an interesting what-if
I am not one of those guys who is still angry (or ever was angry) that Marrone skipped town. This is a tough job and he got an NFL offer. That is an absolute no-brainer in my book, but whatever. What's interesting is that Marrone is here from 09-12, meaning his players would have started getting drafted (potentially) in the 12 draft (if they left early). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jones and Nassib were technically GERG recruits (I'll still give Marrone credit for developing those guys so relax if you're going to get fired up) and I want to say that Pugh was a GERG commit that stayed committed with Marrone. Again, correct me if I'm wrong ...

BUT technically the number of guys Marrone recruited who eventually got drafted was about four or five -- Spruill, Bromley, Shamarko (definite yeses) and Tiller. is that the list? Now, don't get me wrong. I think Marrone did a pretty nice job here, but DM made no secret that he hated recruiting and I just sort of wonder how it would have played out had he stayed. Not saying it would have been worse, but it's hard to feel like he did Shaf many favors.

Where is that bump from being a P5 school again?
We played our first season in the ACC in 2013 meaning the kids who signed in Feb 2013 knew we were headed there (maybe 2012 as well). Yet we've had just two players selected in the last four drafts -- 7th round and one was a punter -- and we could get shut out again this year.

Now I'm not going to make the crazy leap to say it was a bad idea to move. We had to do it and one look at UConn or other programs left out of expansion obviously shows that wouldn't have been a great fate either. But the odd spot we're in is that we're now one of the worst programs among the 'haves' which means we have to recruit against either better programs or try to sell kids on the value of the ACC (as opposed to the MAC or AAC) but we really don't have any proof we can really compete in this conference (we're 24-39 since moving over, including the two wins this season). Add that to the weather and facilities situations and the bland gameday ... it's a tough road.

Why the 2019 and 2020 drafts will be really interesting
So there is debate -- as there always is -- about whether Dino is a great recruiter and we need to trust the staff vs. the crew that can't figure out why we can't recruit better. I'm in the camp of believing that recruiting is only half the battle -- you need to develop kids.

But at the end of the day we need to start sending players to the NFL again. Babers is in Year 3 meaning his first class (though it's not a full class) comes through in 2020. But he's got some players he's coached for three years that are seniors and some others he's brought into the program from the outside. It will be really interesting (and a great sign, I would say) if we can start sending some kids to the NFL. Pierce/Roberts/Martin/Dungey/Custis -- any of those guys get drafted? In 2020 you've got Frederick, Foster, hoftrichter, and a bunch of DL. Would be great to see a couple draftees the next couple years. I'd have to think that would help recruiting.
Good read, thanks.

We are definitely behind the 8-ball in trying to bootstrap ourselves back to respectability. Lightening the schedule was one factor. Catching a break with our peers having a down year/period is another. Fingers crossed.

S&C might have held us back. For those in the know, or the coaches here, did we wait too long to change the S&C staff or approach?

I don't see much if any NFL offensive skill talent out there right now. Maybe Pierce. Otherwise it's the young kids and unknown quantities. Maybe Jackson & Adams will step in next year and look like NFL-ers.

But yeah, we have had a pathetic run of producing professional players.

Great analysis.

This page at Pro Football Reference speaks volumes:

Syracuse Drafted Players/Alumni | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Between 1991 and 2004 (13 years) we had 17 guys taken in the first three rounds of the draft. From 2005-2017 (12 years) we had 5 taken in the first three rounds of the draft.

The fall-off in talent since Coach P left has been stark and inarguable.

I will say this, optimistically, the younger guys that Dino has recruited look a lot more like pro-capable players than similar guys did over the past decade. So let's hope the looks turn into production.

Not trying to undercut your analysis, but i think you missed Mike Williams. He's an interesting case though because isnt the story on him that Mike Hopkins actually uncovered him while recruiting Paul Harris or something like that?

Yeah williams was really basically a first-round or at least first-day talent who got knocked for all the lockerroom/off-field stuff. But technically he was a GERG recruit so he doesn't fit in the Marrone era recruit section. I guess I didn't forget him but didn't mention him, which I probably should have.

Great analysis.

This page at Pro Football Reference speaks volumes:

Syracuse Drafted Players/Alumni | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Between 1991 and 2004 (13 years) we had 17 guys taken in the first three rounds of the draft. From 2005-2017 (12 years) we had 5 taken in the first three rounds of the draft.

The fall-off in talent since Coach P left has been stark and inarguable.

I will say this, optimistically, the younger guys that Dino has recruited look a lot more like pro-capable players than similar guys did over the past decade. So let's hope the looks turn into production.

yes, though I'd argue the dropoff started with P -- not to start a whole was P great or not debate b/c it's probably more reflective of the direction of college football and and the lack of investment from the administration, etc. But our rosters and drafts started to limp under P and GERG did an amazing job of taking that limp and turning it into a nearly fatal wound.

S&C might have held us back. For those in the know, or the coaches here, did we wait too long to change the S&C staff or approach?

I don't see much if any NFL offensive skill talent out there right now. Maybe Pierce. Otherwise it's the young kids and unknown quantities. Maybe Jackson & Adams will step in next year and look like NFL-ers.

But yeah, we have had a pathetic run of producing professional players.

Yeah, so the S&C thing is interesting b/c there are a ton of programs that I wouldn't say have been in much better shape than us the past four or five years who have produced far more NFL talent. The development and S&C portion would have to be part of the issue.

I don't see a lot either but it's interesting to watch b/c we obviously need to at least get back to the level where a few kids are draft-worthy each year.

yes, though I'd argue the dropoff started with P -- not to start a whole was P great or not debate b/c it's probably more reflective of the direction of college football and and the lack of investment from the administration, etc. But our rosters and drafts started to limp under P and GERG did an amazing job of taking that limp and turning it into a nearly fatal wound.

I agree, and it's telling that the last skill position player we had drafted in the top 3 rounds was Donovan McNabb.

Everyone should let that roll around in their brain for a bit. It has been TWENTY years since SU had a QB, RB, WR or TE get drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Meanwhile, we had seven skill position guys drafted in the first 3 rounds between 1990-1998.

Great post. Really, you need to be writing these for a website or something.

Anyway, I interpret the lack of NFL draft picks as evidence of the reality that for decades, the vision of our football program was mismatched to the resources at our disposal, and the vision was fundamentally wrong.

How does a college football program with a unique advantage like the Dome, ie an environment completely free from the elements and therefore ideal for undisturbed offensive performance, fail so miserably to attract and develop NFL talent on the offensive side of the ball?

A big part of the answer is by attempting to build a program with a defense first mindset. That was the vision Gross stated. That was Robinson's area of expertise (hehe). Marrone seemed like he'd be an offensive guy, but reportedly slanted the talent on his roster toward his defense, and didn't really guide a powerhouse offense until his last season. Shafer preferred seeing his defense on the field, and coached accordingly.

The Babers hire, even if it proves to not be successful, at least suggests that we're thinking about our program the right way. Time will tell if Babers can be what we hope he will be, but if we think we're following the Baylor/Briles blueprint, there are reasons for optimism, and the talent pipeline to the NFL looked a lot like our own. Baylor had a total of 6 players drafted in the NFL between 2000-2007, with one selection in the 2nd round, one in the 4th, one in the 6th, and three in the 7th. So we're not exactly talking about guys being deemed worthy of top selections since 2/3 of those picks were in the last two rounds of the draft.

Things popped for Briles and Baylor NFL wise in 2011 and 2012, with 9 total draft picks. Sure, four of them were picked in the last two rounds, but four of them were also 1st round picks. The sheer quantity of players drafted is impressive though considering what was at that time their recent history.

I suspect that Baylor had more refined "talent" waiting for Briles and in his immediate recruiting hotbed than Babers has experienced with Syracuse, so we might still be a little ways away. I maintain that offering an offensive system that takes advantage of the unique conditions offered by the Dome provides us with a recruiting advantage that appeals to higher level talent than what we've unfortunately become used to seeing. The NFL draft picks will follow.

I agree, and it's telling that the last skill position player we had drafted in the top 3 rounds was Donovan McNabb.

Everyone should let that roll around in their brain for a bit. It has been TWENTY years since SU had a QB, RB, WR or TE get drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Meanwhile, we had seven skill position guys drafted in the first 3 rounds between 1990-1998.
I know I'm banging this drum again, but that happening at an institution that played its games in a Dome is unfathomable.

I know I'm banging this drum again, but that happening at an institution that played its games in a Dome is unfathomable.

8cbd94a920d23bd4dd905cd030ff1c79.jpg

The irony is he had one (Ray Rice) who became a 2nd rounder. If we somehow held on and kept the 8-9 wins going (Mike Vick?) we probably would have landed Rob Gronkowski as well since Gordie wanted him to attend there but without any degree of success in 2007 he wasn't coming.

Some real sliding door scenarios of guys who were on the cusp of coming here. I'm not editorializing on Rice/Vick and if ultimately it was better off they didn't come but it certainly hurt the results on the field

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom