Oddly I think our inability to dribble helps us in a way | Syracusefan.com

Oddly I think our inability to dribble helps us in a way

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Every coach sees our team struggles with simple ballhandling in the face of mild pressure. I also understand our lineup of Joe, Buddy and AG is ripe for pressing as they all have horrendous handles. That said, when we get pressure full court it usually awakens JB from his slumber and ends up with Kadary entering the game, and if I was coaching against us I would want to avoid that as much as possible.

If Joe gets picked one more time because he can't go left and is either bringing the ball up with his back turned or is turning right no matter what he should never play a minute of PG again. We really miss Eli as a secondary ball handler and initiator.

Every coach sees our team struggles with simple ballhandling in the face of mild pressure. I also understand our lineup of Joe, Buddy and AG is ripe for pressing as they all have horrendous handles. That said, when we get pressure full court it usually awakens JB from his slumber and ends up with Kadary entering the game, and if I was coaching against us I would want to avoid that as much as possible.

If Joe gets picked one more time because he can't go left and is either bringing the ball up with his back turned or is turning right no matter what he should never play a minute of PG again. We really miss Eli as a secondary ball handler and initiator.

Yeah, that Joe spin left RIGHT INTO THE DEFENDER for an easy turnover was awful.

He had made up his mind he was gonna do that move seconds prior, and the defender knew it too.
Easy pickings.

Marek really is the key to the press. No one else in the country uses their 5 man to break the press. It was kinda funny to watch Funderburk try to pick him up full court lol
Boeheim reaching back for this.
Did it with Derrick Coleman.
It's nice to have a big man who can handle a bit.

I'd argue Joe is second only to Kadary on our team as a ball handler but excessive point play limits his upside. We have the best FT shooting but worst ball handling team I've seen in the 40 years. We need to more effectively play to our strengths, including Joe coming off screens for unforced 3s.

He’s playing out of position, he’s better suited off the ball. Have Kadary set up the other guys for easier shots because thats what Kadary does naturally.

It will be a great disservice and borderline crime to have Joe running the point when Benny arrives next season. We look in sync and like a more organized team when Kadary runs the point. We shouldn’t even be having this discussion everyday about pg.

Joe has a good handle

Kadary averages more turnovers per minute than either Girard or Boeheim (almost twice as many turnovers per minute as Boeheim) and had to get benched just a game ago against Clemson because he turned the ball over twice in a row against their press as soon as he got in the game.

Kadary is okay against the press. Girard and Boeheim are both better (even though Girard had a bad game against NC State, his turnover numbers both this year and his freshman year are solid).

On top of that the original suggestion that we have an inability to dribble when we are second best in the ACC in taking care of the ball is misguided at best.

Kadary averages more turnovers per minute than either Girard or Boeheim (almost twice as many turnovers per minute as Boeheim) and had to get benched just a game ago against Clemson because he turned the ball over twice in a row against their press as soon as he got in the game.

Kadary is okay against the press. Girard and Boeheim are both better (even though Girard had a bad game against NC State, his turnover numbers both this year and his freshman year are solid).

On top of that the original suggestion that we have an inability to dribble when we are second best in the ACC in taking care of the ball is misguided at best.
Ya right joe and buddy are better against the press or anything else to do with ball handling. Let Kadary start and feel comfortable with no fear of coming out the game and we will see his full potential. And don’t take this personal but this is a case where numbers don’t tell the whole story my friend.

Buddy is better against the press than Kadary?
Nope.
Sorry you lost me with that one.
He has no handle against pressure.
Joe has slightly more but the pressure stops.
NC State stopped pressing the ball when Kadary came in.
Their coaching staff had scouted our starting guards and knew they struggle against on ball pressure.

There is a reason Marek was bringing the ball up a lot as well.
Richmond isn’t perfect but he is the most equipped to deal with pressure as he is the best point guard on this team by distance and is the best actual PG since Ennis we have had.

Kadary has the best handle on the team.
It’s frankly a joke it’s taken this long for Kadary to consecutively get more PT than Joe.
Joe should be getting more of Buddy’s minutes unless Buddy is playing like he did in the second half.

Joe is a good SG option with Kadary at PG. They don’t get enough minutes together on the court and have been platooning too much this year.

Buddies problem isnt his handle its his quickness.. He gets to good spots with the ball but he cant take advantage and the D closes down.

Joes problem is more strength and trying to do too much.

Buddy is better against the press than Kadary?
Nope.
Sorry you lost me with that one.
He has no handle against pressure.
Joe has slightly more but the pressure stops.
NC State stopped pressing the ball when Kadary came in.
Their coaching staff had scouted our starting guards and knew they struggle against on ball pressure.

There is a reason Marek was bringing the ball up a lot as well.
Richmond isn’t perfect but he is the most equipped to deal with pressure as he is the best point guard on this team by distance and is the best actual PG since Ennis we have had.

Kadary has the best handle on the team.
It’s frankly a joke it’s taken this long for Kadary to consecutively get more PT than Joe.
Joe should be getting more of Buddy’s minutes unless Buddy is playing like he did in the second half.

Joe is a good SG option with Kadary at PG. They don’t get enough minutes together on the court and have been platooning too much this year.

If dribbling the ball through the press was the best way to break it I'd agree with you. But usually just making smart passes is best against the press and Kadary has struggled with that.

I'm not here to trash him. I've been high on Kadary for a very long time. He's going to be great here. But what the OP said about Syracuse being terrible handling the ball is objectively false and can be proven with stats. Stats also back up that Kadary is the weakest with the ball of all our guards. Its okay to be high on him without trashing the other players or the coach, especially in ways that are false. People seem to have forgotten that.

FWIW this is the best team at protecting the ball since 2013-14 when Ennis was here. Protecting the ball hasn't been an issue. The main weaknesses for this team are defensive rebounding, free throw rate, and 3 point percentage. I think the 3 point percentage can be improved. The defensive rebounding and free throw rate are what they are.

If dribbling the ball through the press was the best way to break it I'd agree with you. But usually just making smart passes is best against the press and Kadary has struggled with that.

I'm not here to trash him. I've been high on Kadary for a very long time. He's going to be great here. But what the OP said about Syracuse being terrible handling the ball is objectively false and can be proven with stats. Stats also back up that Kadary is the weakest with the ball of all our guards. Its okay to be high on him without trashing the other players or the coach, especially in ways that are false. People seem to have forgotten that.

”The narrative that Boeheim and Girard are terrible on D and Richmond is great but and is getting undeservedly benched is one that makes me mad. Its all about narrative and has no basis in reality. Richmond has looked better in the last two games but early in the season he was absolutely rotten on D“

you said this, no?

”The narrative that Boeheim and Girard are terrible on D and Richmond is great but and is getting undeservedly benched is one that makes me mad. Its all about narrative and has no basis in reality. Richmond has looked better in the last two games but early in the season he was absolutely rotten on D“

you said this, no?

Yes but that was earlier in the year. Since the North Carolina game he's been fantastic.

If you go back and watch the Buffalo or the Rutgers game Kadary got beat off the dribble regularly (more than either Girard or Boeheim). But like most freshman Kadary has improved as the year has gone on, and he's the best on D now.

Not coincidentally that UNC game is exactly when Kadary became the guy who plays almost the entire second half and the most of the minutes total at point guard. As he figures out the defense he plays more and more, which is very typical of freshmen.

Kadary has only the last 2 games started getting more than 20 MPG with the 3 guard lineup.

We roll JG-BB the first 8 minutes of each half.

Unless Joe get some of Buddy’s minutes it’s going to be 35-25-20 as the likely distribution.

Yes but that was earlier in the year. Since the North Carolina game he's been fantastic.

If you go back and watch the Buffalo or the Rutgers game Kadary got beat off the dribble regularly (more than either Girard or Boeheim). But like most freshman Kadary has improved as the year has gone on, and he's the best on D now.

Not coincidentally that UNC game is exactly when Kadary became the guy who plays almost the entire second half and the most of the minutes total at point guard. As he figures out the defense he plays more and more, which is very typical of freshmen.

Fair enough.

you still believe that Buddy is underrated as a defender?

Fair enough.

you still believe that Buddy is underrated as a defender?

Yes, absolutely. Buddy is adequate as a defender. About a 5 out of 10. People act like he's terrible. He and Girard last year were terrible mostly because Girard was terrible and he was only adequate. As a freshman Buddy and Howard were very good up top mostly because Howard was very good and Buddy was adequate. This season Girard and Richnmond struggled a lot early when Buddy was out, but since Buddy came back all 3 have been solid, which is why we get a lot of turnovers and hold teams to low 3point shooting.

Our defensive problems this year are mostly at the forward positions. Griffen was horrible for most of the year but is starting to figure it out and round into form now. Guerrier is prone to several lapses a game where he just gets caught in no mans land.

And of course Dolezaj is fine at center until he's not. So against, say Virginia Tech he's fine, but against UNC he's going to get destroyed.

As a unit our guards are our strongest unit by far (only strong unit?) defensively. The forwards seem to be improving though, which is important moving forward.

Yes, absolutely. Buddy is adequate as a defender. About a 5 out of 10. People act like he's terrible. He and Girard last year were terrible mostly because Girard was terrible and he was only adequate. As a freshman Buddy and Howard were very good up top mostly because Howard was very good and Buddy was adequate. This season Girard and Richnmond struggled a lot early when Buddy was out, but since Buddy came back all 3 have been solid, which is why we get a lot of turnovers and hold teams to low 3point shooting.

Our defensive problems this year are mostly at the forward positions. Griffen was horrible for most of the year but is starting to figure it out and round into form now. Guerrier is prone to several lapses a game where he just gets caught in no mans land.

And of course Dolezaj is fine at center until he's not. So against, say Virginia Tech he's fine, but against UNC he's going to get destroyed.

As a unit our guards are our strongest unit by far (only strong unit?) defensively. The forwards seem to be improving though, which is important moving forward.

Agreed about Q. he does seem to get a pass.

Agreed the the guards are the strongest unit, but only due to Kadary, who has been the best defender on the team since day 1