Off to a Slow ACC Recruiting Start..posted 6/9/18 | Syracusefan.com

Off to a Slow ACC Recruiting Start..posted 6/9/18

CA Monk

I'm Woke, But I'm Very Groggy.
An Observation:
With only 3 recruits so far SU lags significantly in comparison to our ACC brethren (see link: 2019 ACC Football Team Rankings).

I'm not saying we won't have a stellar recruiting class, I'd just prefer we were further ahead at this point. Dino does seem to close well and last year's 2018 class was near exceptional. I believe most all of those recruits will contribute sooner rather than later. However, our 2019 deficiency to this point is probably due to a number of factors:

1. It's still early. Cool your jets. A lot can change.
2. Last weekend's camp yielded only one verbal, whereas Pitt garnered something like 7.
3. Randomness. The players on our board that we're recruiting hard simply haven't decided yet. Also 17, 18 year olds can be fickle.
4. Perhaps we're pursuing higher caliber players who are spurning us for more illustrious football schools.
5. Maybe Sean Lewis' absence is being felt.
6. We all know 3 consecutive 4-8s isn't necessarily an easy thing to overcome.

There is an abundance of talent out there in the Recruitingsphere (new word maybe) and as the ACC and other big time schools fill their slots it will force other kids to their secondary schools. Not that this is the scenario we're looking for, but it does play into our hands a bit.

HCDB has done a great job pulling 4-Star talent late in the game or after the fact, e.g. Alton Robinson, Ravian Pierce, Tristan Jackson, Koda Martin and Abdul Adams. And while this turn of events is absolutely welcomed, I'd like to get these guys in the initial recruiting class to make more of a national impact statement.

In any event I'm excited to see how it all unfolds and I'm hoping we get kids who want to be here from the get go. Highly rated student-athletes like Trill, DeVito, Okechukwu and numerous others that can take us to a winning record and a bowl game in the ultra-competitive ACC.

An Observation:
With only 3 recruits so far SU lags significantly in comparison to our ACC brethren (see link: 2019 ACC Football Team Rankings).

I'm not saying we won't have a stellar recruiting class, I'd just prefer we were further ahead at this point. Dino does seem to close well and last year's 2018 class was near exceptional. I believe most all of those recruits will contribute sooner rather than later. However, our 2019 deficiency to this point is probably due to a number of factors:

2. Last weekend's camp yielded only one verbal, whereas Pitt garnered something like 7.
3. Randomness. The players on our board that we're recruiting hard simply haven't decided yet. Also 17, 18 year olds can be fickle.
4. Perhaps we're pursuing higher caliber players who are spurning us for more illustrious football schools.

There is an abundance of talent out there in the Recruitingsphere (new word maybe) and as the ACC and other big time schools fill their slots it will force other kids to their secondary schools. Not that this is the scenario we're looking for, but it does play into our hands a bit.

HCDB has done a great job pulling 4-Star talent late in the game or after the fact, e.g. Alton Robinson, Ravian Pierce, Tristan Jackson, Koda Martin and Abdul Adams. And while this turn of events is absolutely welcomed, I'd like to get these guys in the initial recruiting class to make more of a national impact statement.

In any event I'm excited to see how it all unfolds and I'm hoping we get kids who want to be here from the get go. Highly rated student-athletes like Trill, DeVito, Okechukwu and numerous others that can take us to a winning record and a bowl game in the ultra-competitive ACC.

For some reason this thread has a deja vu feel to it. ;)

And just for clarification Pitt wasn't a camp but official visits.

Ive just never understood this early rationale? "I'd just prefer we were further ahead at this point"

Why, what is the gain?

Ive just never understood this early rationale? "I'd just prefer we were further ahead at this point"

Why, what is the gain?

June: "We need to have 15 commits by July 4. Who cares if they're all B-Listers. We need bodies!"

December: "Why did we waste all of our open slots on B-Listers?"

Why, what is the gain?
Jones effect in full effect.

By saying "I'd just prefer we were further along at this point" I'm simply referring to wishing some of the recruits we've targeted and lost out on had selected us. Just sports stuff. Who said anything about B-Listers. That's just extraneous.

I'm just saying our competition (at this juncture) has more effectively targeted and corralled their recruits whereas SU hasn't and I'm curious as to the reason and I even post a few ideas as to why we may be perceived to be "behind" or deficient. It's not an indictment. It's just an observation. Who here doesn't want us to keep up with the ACC Jonses by garnering guys we've targeted? We'd better. Who here doesn't wish we had 6-7 guys on board that we've prioritized?

Maybe we do make a solid comeback and land a superlative class. The point is we now have to do it with a smaller reservoir of candidates and a greater void to fill.

What do you SU fans think about 2019 recruiting? Are you satisfied? A little discouraged? Not judging anything until early signing day? Confident in the fact HCDFB is the man and will get us to the Promised Land or at least a warm weather bowl?

By saying "I'd just prefer we were further along at this point" I'm simply referring to wishing some of the recruits we've targeted and lost out on had selected us. Just sports stuff. Who said anything about B-Listers. That's just extraneous.

I'm just saying our competition (at this juncture) has more effectively targeted and corralled their recruits whereas SU hasn't and I'm curious as to the reason and I even post a few ideas as to why we may be perceived to be "behind" or deficient. It's not an indictment. It's just an observation. Who here doesn't want us to keep up with the ACC Jonses by garnering guys we've targeted? We'd better. Who here doesn't wish we had 6-7 guys on board that we've prioritized?

Maybe we do make a solid comeback and land a superlative class. The point is we now have to do it with a smaller reservoir of candidates and a greater void to fill.

What do you SU fans think about 2019 recruiting? Are you satisfied? A little discouraged? Not judging anything until early signing day? Confident in the fact HCDFB is the man and will get us to the Promised Land or at least a warm weather bowl?

Half or more of those Pitt recruits have mid major offers. They didn't exactly go beat out Clemson, Georgia and Penn State for those kids.

Do we get extra credit for getting commitments long before the signing date? No.
Let's not get antsy until it's time to get antsy.

I think we are just fine. It is way too soon to be concerned about the 2019 class. As I commented elsewhere, this time last year we had 6 kids in the 2018 class and 3 of those never made it to campus. And I can promise you that many of those kids that have committed to other ACC schools won't make it to the school they are currently committed.

Half or more of those Pitt recruits have mid major offers. They didn't exactly go beat out Clemson, Georgia and Penn State for those kids.
you mean like we do? and we have only how many commits?

That's what that Wyclef song was about! I get it now! All this time...Wyclef Jean was a recruiting nut...

And just an fyi June 25th to July 24th is a Dead Period. No Camps. No visits to campus.

Reactions: gbo
An Observation:

So how are you feeling not that it's August 3rd and we have 12 commits.?

The numbers are there... but is the quality? I’m not an expert and I trust HCDB implicitly, but it does feel like we had more big boys looking at us last year than this. I do wonder if the blush has come off the rose a bit and it’s recruits are waiting for HCDB to prove the hype is real? I remember when he first came in he said that it took a season and a half for his system to click... we lost every game after the season and a half mark. Yes there were extenuating circumstances but the fact remains.

I believe that while HCDB’s offense is innovative it’s very pace that makes it innovative also makes it predictable and when the good acc D’s can predict what you are going to do it’s game over. I think the othe Baylor-like spread offense have a lot more diversity to them then HCDB has shown with even a healthy Dungey. Just to be clear I am all aboard the HCDB train and if he doesn’t turn this thing around they might as well turn off the lights. But I do believe this is a prove it year for fans and recruits alike. I don’t care about the record but I want to see an offense that doesn’t get regularly shut down for entire quarters and halves of games. I actually believe the D is ok but the O getting shutdown is killing them. I want to see adjustments and a freaking run game and I’m sure so do the recruits.

My security level continues to improve. I’ve taken it up another notch to DEFCON 2. I was at DEFCON 4.
But you will have to remember CL, I was much younger when I wrote that anxious post, and can hardly be expected to be responsible for it now that I am a mature, integrated adult. I don’t even know who that person was :)

The numbers are there... but is the quality? I’m not an expert and I trust HCDB implicitly, but it does feel like we had more big boys looking at us last year than this. I do wonder if the blush has come off the rose a bit and it’s recruits are waiting for HCDB to prove the hype is real? I remember when he first came in he said that it took a season and a half for his system to click... we lost every game after the season and a half mark. Yes there were extenuating circumstances but the fact remains.

I believe that while HCDB’s offense is innovative it’s very pace that makes it innovative also makes it predictable and when the good acc D’s can predict what you are going to do it’s game over. I think the othe Baylor-like spread offense have a lot more diversity to them then HCDB has shown with even a healthy Dungey. Just to be clear I am all aboard the HCDB train and if he doesn’t turn this thing around they might as well turn off the lights. But I do believe this is a prove it year for fans and recruits alike. I don’t care about the record but I want to see an offense that doesn’t get regularly shut down for entire quarters and halves of games. I actually believe the D is ok but the O getting shutdown is killing them. I want to see adjustments and a freaking run game and I’m sure so do the recruits.
Lol I should have read some posts before making this post. Did not age well.

But I do stand by my predictable offense statements.

I think this year is so far very similar to last year. The first 9 were not heavily offered early on when they committed. Trill and Queely had a couple. Harris was like Nazir.

Froumy, Queeley, Wallace, Lutz, Williams, Horan...all camped I believe. If Wallace didn't camp he was here in the summer with all those DC kids.

Wallace was the gem with Georgia and Wisconsin in there. This class has Nunn who's a bigger gem.

I think a few of these early kids will blow up just like Trill did last year. Hewett, Williams, Jackson, maybe even Cole. I expect to have to fight to hold onto Red to.

Here are the kids that comitted prior to August1 last year:

Cooper Lutz - 6/26/17 (last to commit until Hendrix)
Taj Harris
Willem Froumy
Anthony Queeley
Akeem Dixon
Juan Wallace
Atrilleon Williams
Gabe Horan
Jawhar Jordan

Here are the kids that committed after August last year.

Caleb Okechukwu 2/7/18
Jarveon Howard - 2/6/18
Chance Amie
Andre Cisco
Lakiem Williams
Carlos Vettorello
Martrevious Allison - 12/10/17
Qadir White - 8/24/17
Cameron Jonas - 8/21/17
Edward Hendrix - 8/16/17

Last edited:
I think this year is so far very similar to last year. The first 9 were not heavily offered early on when they committed. Trill and Queely had a couple. Harris was like Nazir.

Froumy, Queeley, Wallace, Lutz, Williams, Horan...all camped I believe. If Wallace didn't camp he was here in the summer with all those DC kids.

Wallace was probably the gem just because Georgia was in there but his other offers were MD and Rutgers. This class has Nunn who's a big gem.

I think a few of these early kids will blow up just like Trill did last year. Hewett, Williams, Jackson, maybe even Cole. I expect to have to fight to hold onto Red to.

Here are the kids that comitted prior to August1 last year:

Cooper Lutz - 6/26/17 (last to commit until Hendrix)
Taj Harris
Willem Froumy
Anthony Queeley
Akeem Dixon
Juan Wallace
Atrilleon Williams
Gabe Horan
Jawhar Jordan

Here are the kids that committed after August last year.

Caleb Okechukwu 2/7/18
Jarveon Howard - 2/6/18
Chance Amie
Andre Cisco
Lakiem Williams
Carlos Vettorello
Martrevious Allison - 12/10/17
Qadir White - 8/24/17
Cameron Jonas - 8/21/17
Edward Hendrix - 8/16/17
Thanks for summarizing that for us. I feel much better about this year's recruiting after seeing this!

Actually after going back through the offers I might have to give the edge to this class so far at the same stage.

Courtney Jackson and Nazir offers greater than Queely and Harris

GWilliams and Cole separately offers greater than Trill.

Nunn greater then Wallace

Red and Rondi greater than Horan and Froumey

Lutz and Hewett a wash.

It’s early, this class offer wise appears to be at least the equal or better than last class at the same date. Some of these kids will blow up to and we’ll have to hold on which is par for course with Babers classes so far.

Last edited:
Actually after going back through the offers I might have to give the edge to this class so far at the same stage.

Courtney Jackson and Nazir offers greater than Queely and Harris

GWilliams and Cole separately offers greater than Trill.

Nunn greater then Wallace

Red and Rondi greater than Horan and Froumey

Lutz and Hewett a wash.

It’s early, this class offer wise appears to be at least the equal or better than last class at the same date. Some of these kids will blow up to and we’ll have to hold on which is par for course with Babers classes so far.
We also have 6 commits with no other power five offers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom