Offense will be better but...…... | Syracusefan.com

Offense will be better but...…...

UD1954

Scout Team
if the new additions don't buy in on the defensive end we could be looking at a repeat of the Lydon/White team that was also highly re-guarded...last years team made the Sweet 16 because of defense.

if the new additions don't buy in on the defensive end we could be looking at a repeat of the Lydon/White team that was also highly re-guarded...last years team made the Sweet 16 because of defense.

Hughes has had a year practicing.

Carey won't be playing 40 minutes like White, and I have a feeling Buddy may have an upper hand than most coming in as a freshman playing the zone.

If they don’t play defense adequately, they won’t be in the game much.

It won’t be a repeat of Lydon/White because our starters and best players were some of the poor defenders. We’ve still got our starting 5 back from last year that was one of the best defensive units.

If they don’t play defense adequately, they won’t be in the game much.

It won’t be a repeat of Lydon/White because our starters and best players were some of the poor defenders. We’ve still got our starting 5 back from last year that was one of the best defensive units.

Exactly. If the new guys don't buy in to playing defense, JB knows who will.

Exactly. If the new guys don't buy in to playing defense, JB knows who will.

And I gotta think joining a team with its whole starting 5 back helps the “buy in” process. Returners will set the tone on how we play defense from day 1, which will push the newcomers to be at their best to earn minutes.

Completely different than 5th year seniors coming in and being some of our best players because we had nobody else. I don’t think we typically recruit a guy like Gillon just because of his height. Carey has the measurables to be effective on defense, and obviously Hughes and Boeheim do too if they’re in the backcourt.

But unlike that year when Lydon had to play center, this year Chukwu is actually healthy and can see with both eyes. And unlike Coleman that year, Sidibe will be able to run from one end of the court to the other without having to come out of the game.

Last edited:
But unlike that year when Lydon had to play center, this year Chukwu is actually healthy and can see with both eyes. And unlike Coleman, Sidibe will be able to run from one end of the court to the other without having to come out of the game.

And our best PG (who was not our best PG back then) is 8 inches taller than our best PG from ‘17. And our SF is a physical specimen. And our two guard is 2 years older and better. And our PF is more mobile and savvy.

And our best PG (who was not our best PG back then) is 8 inches taller than our best PG from ‘17. And our SF is a physical specimen. And our two guard is 2 years older and better. And our PF is more mobile and savvy.
And I'll see your SF specimen/8" taller PG post and raise you with:
Our front line in 17 went 6-7, 6-9, 6-8; and
Our front line this year goes: 6-8, 7-2, 6-10!

Yeah, no, that’s not going to happen. The entire starting 5 returns from a fantastic defensive team. The new guys are not going to turn this into the horrific defensive team with White and Gillon.

And I gotta think joining a team with its whole starting 5 back helps the “buy in” process. Returners will set the tone on how we play defense from day 1, which will push the newcomers to be at their best to earn minutes.

Completely different than 5th year seniors coming in and being some of our best players because we had nobody else. I don’t think we typically recruit a guy like Gillon just because of his height. Carey has the measurables to be effective on defense, and obviously Hughes and Boeheim do too if they’re in the backcourt.
This. People gotta understand the impact that last year's success in the NCAAT had on our returning starters. Those guys are fully aware that the only way they beat MSU, and nearly knocked off Duke, was the way they were playing that zone. The 'playoffs' level of intensity...not taking any plays off...aggressively attacking those passing lanes...

They know it's that one special thing they can do together that enables them to take down the best teams in the country.

We've probably never had a starting five that is more 1) "bought in", 2) physically capable of executing The Boeheim Zone, and 3) experienced at it than this bunch. The newcomers are going to immersed in a culture of true believers. They'll soon learn that they can earn the praise of the whole team + coaching staff whenever they make a big defensive play within the zone.

Nah, no worries at all about the new guys buying in. The Boeheim Zone will be the talk of college basketball world this year, and they will be first hand witnesses to it...

head-scratch-scratch-my-head.jpg

From all we know and reports on how players get along, etc., this team definitely won't have the negative chemistry factor. That's besides having all 5 back. Let's just all relax for a few more weeks. LOL, typing that last sentence made me laugh. Commence with the worry warts!

Defense will be fine. Too many returning players know the defense. Even if the defense slips a tiny bit the offense SHOULD be a lot better which will help out the defense and make things more sustainable all around.

Far more concerned with the offense. Or at least curious. I know we have more bodies and better capable shot makers. We shouldn’t be plodding anymore but I have to see it to believe it. If we have too much of the same ISO crap, ball-sticking, and attacking only one/same side of the floor then we still will be easy to defend for good defensive teams. That means relying on the D again in those scenarios.

Last edited:
Defense will be fine. Too many returning players know the defense. Even if the defense slips a tiny bit the offense SHOULD be a lot better which will help out the defense and make things more sustainable all around.

Far more concerned with the offense. Or at least curious. I know we have more bodies and better capable shot makers. We shouldn’t be plodding anymore but I have to see it to believe it. If we have too much of the same ISO crap, ball-sticking, and attacking only one/same side of the floor then we still will be easy to defend for good defensive teams. That meas relying on the D again.

Better depth + more shooters + more offensive firepower + more guys who can put the ball in the basket + the natural offensive maturation of players like Dolezaj and Brisset does not equal to the same offense we saw last year.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if this team does not improve by 7ppg offensively, just as a function of having more options who can fill it.

Better depth + more shooters + more offensive firepower + more guys who can put the ball in the basket + the natural offensive maturation of players like Dolezaj and Brisset does not equal to the same offense we saw last year.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if this team does not improve by 7ppg offensively, just as a function of having more options who can fill it.

In theory yes. I expect it as well. But, I still need to see it to believe it. Regardless, if we don’t reverse the ball, stay on the same side on the floor, etc., as I mentioned; we WILL be easy to defend for good defensive teams. But, that’s more of a system/scheme issue. There will be the teams like how South Carolina and Miami play us like a few years ago. Get up on the PG and overplay/deny the passing lanes to say Andrew White. Every damn time it was that scripted/telegraphed pass to the left to White. But, we never learned or were taught simply reversing the ball or a few other methods to diffuse those kinds of D. There was no plan B and by mid-1H I knew we were toast, lol.

Last edited:

And having both of Chewie & Dib healthy at the 5 will be huge too.
PC is hopefully making a Rak-Lite leap this year (according to practice reports), and Sid showed plenty of flashes last year when he was healthy enough to do so.

Those guys averaged a combined 8 pts & 10 boards last year - wouldn't be at all surprised to see those up to 12 & 12 or so, provided they remain healthy.
There's 4 ppg more just from the 5 spot, and not remotely a stretch to expect.

Add late-season Dole to that, and now we'll actually have scoring potential from all 5 positions on the floor; no more playing 3 on 5 on O anymore.
Which will open up Tyus, Frank, OSB, and the others to be more effective.

I'm guessing Buddy will buy-in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom