Offensive Changes for GT | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Changes for GT

AngryOtto

All Conference
I’m not going to get into the qb situation because it has been thoroughly discussed in multiple threads. I would like at some point in the season for markowitz to get a couple series.
Some changes I’d like to see.
Courtney Jackson, Hendricks and Barron getting the call over N. Johnson. Courtney had some nice catches and moved the ball. N. Johnson is way to small to block on screens. He was thrown down like a rag doll. Hendricks or Barron has the size on a bubble or other screen to spring queeley or Taj.
A lot more of Tucker as the number one. Love JJ and tuff kid but Tucker has size and speed. Even with a suspect line found the hole made cuts and gained good yardage.
I know this has been said repeatedly use the TE. Possibly on screen passes.
I am not sure if he was hurt but servaise got beat and pushed around like he was not even there. Maybe move bergeron to the left side. That or use the rb flowers to block on the left side. Need to do something at LT.
Just some thoughts.

I’m down with ALL of that.

Also - just stick with quick hitter passing plays until we (hopefully) get some rhythm going.
GT has a really bad pass D, so this could be a great opportunity to get Tommy’s mojo back.

Throw the damn ball to the RB’s and TE’s!!
We have 2 excellent TE’s, but both have been on a milk carton this season.

Mix up the style of runs - pitches, sweeps, draws, counters, ANYTHING other than a dive.
Again. And again.
Tucker had one of our best runs of the year off of a pitch - you know, a STAPLE PLAY of the college run game.
So - we never did it again. :rolleyes:

Why do we insist on making things unnecessarily difficult on ourselves, especially when we’re riding the struggle bus like this?

Do simple stuff, and do it well.
Build from there.

I’m down with ALL of that.

Also - just stick with quick hitter passing plays until we (hopefully) get some rhythm going.
GT has a really bad pass D, so this could be a great opportunity to get Tommy’s mojo back.

Throw the damn ball to the RB’s and TE’s!!
We have 2 excellent TE’s, but both have been on a milk carton this season.

Mix up the style of runs - pitches, sweeps, draws, counters, ANYTHING other than a dive.
Again. And again.
Tucker had one of our best runs of the year off of a pitch - you know, a STAPLE PLAY of the college run game.
So - we never did it again. :rolleyes:

Why do we insist on making things unnecessarily difficult on ourselves, especially when we’re riding the struggle bus like this?

Do simple stuff, and do it well.
Build from there.
Completely agree on the sweeps, pitch, draws or counters. JJ needs to use speed to get to the corners with proper wr blocking.
The play the drove me crazy was where they did a qb run two times in the red zone. If TD would have just handed to the wr coming across he would have got to the corner and scored.

Completely agree on the sweeps, pitch, draws or counters. JJ needs to use speed to get to the corners with proper wr blocking.
The play the drove me crazy was where they did a qb run two times in the red zone. If TD would have just handed to the wr coming across he would have got to the corner and scored.

Yup.
:rolleyes:

I’m not going to get into the qb situation because it has been thoroughly discussed in multiple threads. I would like at some point in the season for markowitz to get a couple series.
Courtney Jackson, Hendricks and Barron getting the call over N. Johnson. Courtney had some nice catches and moved the ball. N. Johnson is way to small to block on screens. He was thrown down like a rag doll. Hendricks or Barron has the size on a bubble or other screen to spring queeley or Taj.
A lot more of Tucker as the number one. Love JJ and tuff kid but Tucker has size and speed. Even with a suspect line found the hole made cuts and gained good yardage.
I am not sure if he was hurt but servaise got beat and pushed around like he was not even there. Maybe move bergeron to the left side. That or use the rb flowers to block on the left side. Need to do something at LT.
Just some thoughts.

I'd love to see half of your suggestions. But, I'm not holding my breath (can you say "stubborn?"). If we do indeed see some changes, I'll gladly do groveling mea culpas afterwards.

I seem to remember one pitch play to a RB. Was that when Tucker made a guy miss and had a nice gain?

I suspect that we may not see too many major changes until the Duke game. The staff will have 2 weeks to prepare for them

I would like to see us put up more points on the board. >100 yards rushing would be nice. Keep the sacks under 5 would be ideal. Maybe see it Hackett or Benson can catch.
The hundred yards rushing alone should give the D a lot more time to rest which will keep them fresh. Maybe we can even get a pick 6 To put us in the win column.

Yeah kinda surprised team leaders on offense are talking with Dino and our new OC about getting the TEs involved. Gilbert comes here with a bit of a reputation for not using them but if our QB has a comfort level with them, which last year he did. Then you adjust your strategy accordingly. If we win this weekend it's going to be partly because we have tossed the rock to our TEs as part of the game plan.

Reactions: FAL
Just some thoughts.

Myelin seems to have his burst back. I’m not benching him. I would use him differently though and try to get him the ball in space or down the seam.

I would Also use Jordan differently. Has he been given the ball outside of the tackles yet? Use him how we did last year and let Tucker get more of the between the tackles carries

I would say use the TE’s, but doesn’t seem like they are part of Gilbert’s offensive scheme. He didn’t use them at McNeese St.

Yeah kinda surprised team leaders on offense are talking with Dino and our new OC about getting the TEs involved. Gilbert comes here with a bit of a reputation for not using them but if our QB has a comfort level with them, which last year he did. Then you adjust your strategy accordingly. If we win this weekend it's going to be partly because we have tossed the rock to our TEs as part of the game plan.
What’s interesting is I read somewhere Gilbert likes the we/te type player but you would not believe that based on his play calling.

We gonna do this every week?

Sigh.
I do not see a problem with fans expressing things they would like to see. It is probably a way to hope that the season may get better. There are very knowledgeable people on the board. Now it probably won’t happen but we can hope.

I do not see a problem with fans expressing things they would like to see. It is probably a way to hope that the season may get better. There are very knowledgeable people on the board. Now it probably won’t happen but we can hope.
My problem isn't with the discussion. Heck, I started a "what I want to see" thread last week.

My problem is that this is something we feel we have to discuss, because we're seeing such limitations from our offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom