Offensive Line | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Line

RF2044

Living Legend
The just-announced addition of David Wolabaugh Jr. is a MASSIVE upgrade to the OL two-deep. I don't think the importance of this addition can be overstated, because he can play both RG or RT [where he started a game as a frosh at UK]. That means that if Bleich can't get healthy, or if Richmond transfer More falters, we've got a terrific insurance policy. And that's not to say that this kid couldn't start outright. But AT MINIMUM, this is a huge, huge, huge boon to depth.

By my way of thinking, here's how the OL shapes up. Please note that I think / believe that Reed might not be ready to start right away, but I expect that he will be the starter by the end of September at the latest, once he gets acclimated and gets his sea legs.

Left Tackle -- Enrique Cruz played a ton this year, athletic enough to be a future NFL prospect at LT. Bergeron leaves big shoes to fill, but this guy is a quality replacement.

Left Guard -- Kalan Ellis is a returning starter. Massive kid, but needs to get stronger. I believe he will, improving our interior OL.

Center -- J'Onre Reed is a JUCO transfer who represents a significant potential enhancement to what we've run out at center the past several years. Needs to get up to speed quickly.

Right Guard -- Chris Bleich hasn't been healthy his entire career. Will the Florida transfer get there after off-season surgery for his final campaign?

Right Tackle -- Joe More transferred up from FCS to enhance his NFL profile. He's big -- needs to prove that he can handle P5 competition.

Very solid starting unit, if things fall into place in fall camp, and if transfers Reed / More are earn their spots in the starting lineup. Behind this nucleus, we also have some experienced depth:

Josh Ilaoa -- competing with Reed for the starting center spot. Has played a lot, started a little bit, and at minimum provides quality depth.

Joe Cruz -- played last year as a true freshman at both LT and Guard. I expect him to be a multi year starter, but will provide reliable depth this year at multiple spots.

Jakob Bradford -- started at RG in the bowl game. Could start there again this year if Bleich isn't physically able to go. At minimum, he's experienced depth.

David Wolabaugh, Jr. -- Big, capable of playing multiple positions, and started a game at RT last year. Could challenge for a starting role, and seems poised to be a multi-year starter, whether he starts this year or not.

That's 9 right there -- nearly a full two-deep of quality guys, all of whom have experience. And just with those 9 players, we'll be able to field a quality OL platoon if that core group can manage to stay healthy. There's a bit of a drop-off to the next group, for various reasons:

Lysander Moeolo -- Another JUCO transfer who is huge. On paper, he has the size to help, but it remains to be seen how ready he'll be in his first year at P5.

Mark Petry -- A bit limited and smaller than the rest of the OL, but someone who HAS played. I view him as a "break glass in case of emergency" option at LT, but someone who can provide spot-depth if needed.

Jayden Bass -- The future at Left Tackle? Kid was a quality "get" for Syracuse, with the right athletic attributes to counter edge pass rush. But he's a true frosh.

Trevion Mack -- Another true frosh we flipped on signing day. Kid from Minneapolis, who didn't get an offer from the hometown Gophers, so no idea whether he's good enough to contribute in year 1.

Regardless, the OL has improved quite a bit with Reed getting onto campus and legacy transfer Wohlabaugh picking the 'Cuse!

Exciting!!!

Last edited:
The just-announced addition of David Wolabaugh Jr. is a MASSIVE upgrade to the OL two-deep. I don't think the importance of this addition can be overstated, because he can play both RG or RT [where he started a game as a frosh at UK]. That means that if Bleich can't get healthy, or if Richmond transfer More falters, we've got a terrific insurance policy. And that's not to say that this kid couldn't start outright. But AT MINIMUM, this is a huge, huge, huge boon to depth.

By my way of thinking, here's how the OL shapes up. Please note that I think / believe that Reed might not be ready to start right away, but I expect that he will be the starter by the end of September at the latest, once he gets acclimated and gets his sea legs.

Left Tackle -- Enrique Cruz played a ton this year, athletic enough to be a future NFL prospect at LT. Bergeron leaves big shoes to fill, but this guy is a quality replacement.

Left Guard -- Kalan Ellis is a returning starter. Massive kid, but needs to get stronger. I believe he will, improving our interior OL.

Center -- J'Onre Reed is a JUCO transfer who represents a significant potential enhancement to what we've run out at center the past several years. Needs to get up to speed quickly.

Right Guard -- Chris Bleich hasn't been healthy his entire career. Will the Florida transfer get there after off-season surgery for his final campaign?

Right Tackle -- Joe More transferred up from FCS to enhance his NFL profile. He's big -- needs to prove that he can handle P5 competition.

Very solid starting unit, if things fall into place in fall camp, and if transfers Reed / More are earn their spots in the starting lineup. Behind this nucleus, we also have some experienced depth:

Josh Ilaoa -- competing with Reed for the starting center spot. Has played a lot, and at minimum provides quality depth.

Joe Cruz -- played last year as a true freshman at both LT and Guard. I expect him to be a multi year starter, but will provide reliable depth this year at multiple spots.

Jakob Bradford -- started at RG in the bowl game. Could start there again this year if Bleich isn't physically able to go. At minimum, he's experienced depth.

David Wolabaugh, Jr. -- Big, capable of playing multiple positions, and started a game at RT last year. Could challenge for a starting role, and seems poised to be a multi-year starter, whether he starts this year or not.

That's 9 right there -- nearly a full two-deep of quality guys, all of whom have experience. And just with those 9 players, we'll be able to field a quality OL platoon if that core group can manage to stay healthy. There's a bit of a drop-off to the next group, for various reasons:

Lysander Moeolo -- Another JUCO transfer who is huge. On paper, he has the size to help, but it remains to be seen how ready he'll be in his first year at P5.

Mark Petry -- A bit limited and smaller than the rest of the OL, but someone who HAS played. I view him as a "break glass in case of emergency" option, but someone who can provide spot-depth if needed.

Jayden Bass -- The future at Left Tackle? Kid was a quality "get" for Syracuse, with the right athletic attributes to counter edge pass rush. But he's a true frosh.

Trevion Mack -- Another true frosh we flipped on signing day. Kid from Minneapolis, who didn't get an offer from the hometown Gophers, so no idea whether he's good enough to contribute in year 1.

Regardless, the OL has improved quite a bit with Reed getting onto campus and legacy transfer Wohlabaugh picking the 'Cuse!

Exciting!!!
Next time please go into more detail. This isnt nearly enough

Great add wonder why he didn’t come here in the first place. Should be a good group. Now we just need to get a proven backup RB and offense should be good.

Great add wonder why he didn’t come here in the first place. Should be a good group. Now we just need to get a proven backup RB and offense should be good.
I wouldn’t use another scholarship on a running back

Josh Ilaoa -- competing with Reed for the starting center spot. Has played a lot, started a little bit, and at minimum provides quality depth.

Mark Petry -- A bit limited and smaller than the rest of the OL, but someone who HAS played. I view him as a "break glass in case of emergency" option at LT, but someone who can provide spot-depth if needed.

Exciting!!!
Still would like Ellis to get down to 340, that’s heavy enough, while getting stronger.

If they can do better in preventing early inside pressure that will be a big improvement.

I sure would. We were very lucky with Tucker’s durability. We have Allen and Price and true frosh (2) who might be quick but lack the size you want to see. And a walk on. Not what most ACC teams have at the position.
When’s the last time we had an incoming RB with this offer list, if it’s accurate,

I sure would. We were very lucky with Tucker’s durability. We have Allen and Price and true frosh (2) who might be quick but lack the size you want to see. And a walk on. Not what most ACC teams have at the position.
Agree completely, I think it is imperative to add another one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom