Offensive play calling | Syracusefan.com

Offensive play calling

DomeStranger

All Conference
Anybody know who calls the plays when Eric looks over for one? Is it Dino or one of the OC's?

Surprised I haven't seen this come up anywhere. Maybe it takes some bad play calling before people start asking, haha.

DomeStranger said:
Anybody know who calls the plays when Eric looks over for one? Is it Dino or one of the OC's? Surprised I haven't seen this come up anywhere. Maybe it takes some bad play calling before people start asking, haha.

Good question. I know Lewis coaches from the sideline, but I have to assume it's Babers.

Was interesting that the RB is the one who communicates it to the OL.

Looked like a well oiled machine.

DomeStranger said:
Anybody know who calls the plays when Eric looks over for one? Is it Dino or one of the OC's? Surprised I haven't seen this come up anywhere. Maybe it takes some bad play calling before people start asking, haha.

Not positive but I think it is Lewis. He was giving different hand signals while Babers always had his arms crossed. But Babers could be telling Lewis what play to call over the headphones.

Good question. I know Lewis coaches from the sideline, but I have to assume it's Babers.

Was interesting that the RB is the one who communicates it to the OL.

Looked like a well oiled machine.

Didn't catch the RB's playing that part, that is very interesting. I like it, let the QB look over the field to make sure its the correct call or which option he thinks he can exploit the best.

I'd have to think its Babers as well, especially this early, but still would like to know the process.

I still get nightmares of waiting for the play to come in vs Northwestern game at MetLife Stadium. [Edit: Penn State game].

Last edited:
Not positive but I think it is Lewis. He was giving different hand signals while Babers always had his arms crossed. But Babers could be telling Lewis what play to call over the headphones.

Lewis is definitely a great messager, whether he is calling them or not. It's not hard to find the 6'9" guy in the crowd, lol.

one reason the plays get in faster is the dual people dealing with getting it in

DomeStranger said:
Lewis is definitely a great messager, whether he is calling them or not. It's not hard to find the 6'9" guy in the crowd, lol.

And he was always at the LOS. Babers was sometimes 10-15 yards up field.

Anybody know who calls the plays when Eric looks over for one? Is it Dino or one of the OC's?

Surprised I haven't seen this come up anywhere. Maybe it takes some bad play calling before people start asking, haha.

Good question. I saw Lewis giving Dungey the signals on the sidelines. Whether Lewis is communicating with Babers or with Lynch (who I assume is up in the coaches' box) before each play is a tough one to answer. If they are all talking before the snap, it makes the pace of play even more amazing. I'm not sure we'll get a good answer for that question from the staff if one of the reporters follows this up.

As a general rule, its not Babers. Play calling is generally handled by an asst.

Thanks! I can definitely see this with Babers just calling veto's or plays after a stoppage off play, etc.

Now, which assistant is getting the bulk of the work?

Thanks! I can definitely see this with Babers just calling veto's or plays after a stoppage off play, etc.

I don't think we need to know that. I mean lots of teams show a couple of guys giving signals, making it tougher to steal signs (although shiit is happening so fast it probably doesn't make a lot of difference).

one reason the plays get in faster is the dual people dealing with getting it in
Are you talking about multiple signalers? If there are two/three signaling in, usually only one is hot. The other 1/2 are typically decoys.

Finwad32 said:
Are you talking about multiple signalers? If there are two/three signaling in, usually only one is hot. The other 1/2 are typically decoys.

no i mean they are sending in part of the play to the qb and another part to the rb. i dont know that the same people are sending both pieces.

Chip said:
Good question. I know Lewis coaches from the sideline, but I have to assume it's Babers. Was interesting that the RB is the one who communicates it to the OL. Looked like a well oiled machine.

Saw the RB talking to the OL, but I thought he was identifying the Mike and making the protection call. Not sure though. Could have been the play call.

To me it looked like Lewis was calling in the plays, then the RB would tell the lineman, and WR's would help each other's out as needed.

Pretty sure it is Babers unless something has changed. I remember reading that he was calling at Bowling Green. I also remember that when Sterling Gilbert and Mattox got hired to Texas to 3 year deals each at 800k and 550k/yr it was widely talked about how they had been OC's for 4 years (3 w/ Babers between E Illinois and BG, 1 w/ Montie at Tulsa) and had never called plays before). With that being said they look good doing so tonight so far against ND :)

Edit- Article from 2015- 30 FBS head coaches calling the plays

Usually the Hc allows his Oc to call the plays, if he wants to run the ball more , he might tell him to call a running play.

Found it interesting that the question was asked by a reporter at the Louisville presser a couple hours ago.

He basically says,"I'm not going to talk about our procedures because a lot of people would like to know"."It's very unique so we keep it in-house".

I just raised the question as I thought the common knowledge was out there. But now that I know its not out there or supposed to be, I am actually very happy with that. Take any and every advantage possible.

I have faith in your system HCDB.

i bet louisville knows who calls the plays. we probably know who calls their plays. what those plays are is a different matter

Saw the RB talking to the OL, but I thought he was identifying the Mike and making the protection call. Not sure though. Could have been the play call.

Was he coming into the game? Sometimes when a player come into the game, coaches will tell him the play to tell the everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom