offensive rating | Syracusefan.com

offensive rating

over the last 3 games (since frank's return), the cumulatave ortg is 116.5 (the number is not the same as just adding the 3 games and averaging since some games have more possessions and some - like last night - have fewer).

if su was at 116.5 for the season, they would be 11th in the nation in offensive efficiency, just a tick below uva.
the offense right now is efficient because it is scoring in the two most efficient ways - three pointers and free throws. believe it or not, syracuse is shooting 40% from three as a team over this stretch. shooting ~20 threes and hitting at 37% or better p while getting to the line ~20 times while hitting around 70%, all while playing at a slow pace limiting possessions is a pretty good formula for success.

those who despair about the offense are more concerned with tempo than with efficiency.

over the last 3 games (since frank's return), the cumulatave ortg is 116.5 (the number is not the same as just adding the 3 games and averaging since some games have more possessions and some - like last night - have fewer).

if su was at 116.5 for the season, they would be 11th in the nation in offensive efficiency, just a tick below uva.
the offense right now is efficient because it is scoring in the two most efficient ways - three pointers and free throws. believe it or not, syracuse is shooting 40% from three as a team over this stretch. shooting ~20 threes and hitting at 37% or better p while getting to the line ~20 times while hitting around 70%, all while playing at a slow pace limiting possessions is a pretty good formula for success.

those who despair about the offense are more concerned with tempo than with efficiency.

yeah, im concerned with tempo. I like to watch basketball as a recreational endeavor...not watch games that look like dudes from cocoon dragging their asses up and down the court.

If anyone has watched all our games and thinks just getting Frank back is going to make our offense effective is just not looking at the big picture.
This team doesn’t score easy enough against any team.
Living by the jump shot and playing slow reduces possessions and gives any team a smaller margin of error in winning the game.

There are ZERO excuses for only attempting 42 shots in a full game against Cornell.
I don’t care we show 21 for 42. That is what should happen we let teams play slow and it forces Battle/Brissett to HAVE TO BE as efficient as they were.

We literally don’t pass or move the ball a majority of offensive posssssions. Again all offsense is on the individual player that make efficiency ratings highly volatile and problematic:

Our offense is not good or championship worthy. That is the frustration. Our defense can get us to a final four. However we aren’t winning a NC until we are complete team.

A SU team like 2011 which lost in the second round of the tournament is a lot better than last years team which made the Sweet Sixteen. If all that matters is the tournament then honestly why even follow the journey. The regular season should be entertaining while winning. Our beans of basketball is not entertaining. It’s grinding out slow low possession games.

Last edited:

It’s the type of shots we are getting that worry me, not the efficiency. The shots we are are getting are the result of 1:1 play and probably won’t go down or be there against legit ACC defenses. We had 9 assists last night across the team... which to my eye actually seems high. Anyways, my prediction is teams like Georgetown and Buffalo and mediocre ACC teams will do a better job against our zone and our offense will not score enough to bail us out. Sure we will win some games where the other team can’t buy a 3 but there are enough good shooters and offenses in the ACC where we can’t rely on our defense. We are like Jake DeGrom of the Mets who had to basically throw a perfect game each time out if he wanted to win because his offense was so bad. Unfortunately, college hoops doesn’t have a cy young award.

Yep it’s because people want to see something else and when it doesn’t meet the expectation they have set they decide it’s bad even when all the evidence proves it’s good.
The over reaction here is predictable. We won a hangover game Scoring efficiently on offense while not giving the effort needed on the glass and playing subpar defense.

Get ready for some more despair on Tuesday night... Northeastern ranks in the 300s in Adjusted Tempo and Average Possession Length (both offensively and defensively). Expect another slow game that likely won’t be exciting enough for many, regardless of the outcome.

Yes and once Frank is fully healthy and able to drive and dish the offense becomes better. Sure I would like to see a few more run outs, a few more dunks and pounding inside when we have a clear height advantage. However, as much as many would argue, the way we play is conducive to March when every game slows down and possessions are critical.

Cuse

Get ready for some more despair on Tuesday night... Northeastern ranks in the 300s in Adjusted Tempo and Average Possession Length (both offensively and defensively). Expect another slow game that likely won’t be exciting enough for many, regardless of the outcome.

While I would like to see a faster pace and more offense, I prefer a win over all else.

That said, there are two sides to this coin. As Moqui has pointed out are offense is more efficient the last 3 games since Frank is back. That is a POSITIVE people. However, you also have to acknowledge that 2 of those games were against low D1 programs who have athletes that shouldn't be particularly capable of staying with our athletes. Ohio State of course was the opposite, so the better numbers aren't only against substandard competition.

The other side of this coin is even with a more efficient offense, we still don't appear to be that smart about how we are getting offense. Last night against Cornell we relied way too much on outside shot making for my taste. Where we can, we should assert our will. Getting to the rim is typically going to yield a better result than jacking outside shots, and it will help get outside shooters open for better quality outside shots when we do take them.

At the half last night we had 3 starters that hadn't scored. All but 6 of our shots had come from Battle or Brissett. That can't be good offense, no matter what you make the statistics say. I'm ok when something like that (e.g. an anomaly where you play in a less than ideal fashion) happens in order to get you a win against a good/great team, not so much when it happens against a weak team at home.

Tony Bennett has tried this with very mixed results in March.

Yes and Bennett’s teams are light years ahead of us in terms of efficiency while playing at a slow pace/tempo.

While I would like to see a faster pace and more offense, I prefer a win over all else.

That said, there are two sides to this coin. As Moqui has pointed out are offense is more efficient the last 3 games since Frank is back. That is a POSITIVE people. However, you also have to acknowledge that 2 of those games were against low D1 programs who have athletes that shouldn't be particularly capable of staying with our athletes. Ohio State of course was the opposite, so the better numbers aren't only against substandard competition.

The other side of this coin is even with a more efficient offense, we still don't appear to be that smart about how we are getting offense. Last night against Cornell we relied way too much on outside shot making for my taste. Where we can, we should assert our will. Getting to the rim is typically going to yield a better result than jacking outside shots, and it will help get outside shooters open for better quality outside shots when we do take them.

At the half last night we had 3 starters that hadn't scored. All but 6 of our shots had come from Battle or Brissett. That can't be good offense, no matter what you make the statistics say. I'm ok when something like that (e.g. an anomaly where you play in a less than ideal fashion) happens in order to get you a win against a good/great team, not so much when it happens against a weak team at home.
My biggest pet peeve on offense is the long 2-pt jumpers that I’ve too often seen Tyus, Frank and Hughes settle for... the least efficient shot in basketball.

And I agree wholeheartedly with your criticism about the distribution of our offense from last night. Hughes was a total non-factor (wasn’t like he was missing shots, he wasn’t even taking shots) and Frank hardly penetrated at all... all 7 of his shots were 3s. He is definitely not all the way back yet. I love Marek, but he’s not a guy who imposes his offensive will on the game (not yet, anyway) and Jalen is still figuring out how to play the way Boeheim wants him to.

The reality that I’m beginning to resolve myself to accept is that we’re going to be a lot more similar to last year’s squad than I (and probably a lot of other posters on this site) would like. But there’s still a long way to go...

My biggest pet peeve on offense is the long 2-pt jumpers that I’ve too often seen Tyus, Frank and Hughes settle for... the least efficient shot in basketball.

And I agree wholeheartedly with your criticism about the distribution of our offense from last night. Hughes was a total non-factor (wasn’t like he was missing shots, he wasn’t even taking shots) and Frank hardly penetrated at all... all 7 of his shots were 3s. He is definitely not all the way back yet. I love Marek, but he’s not a guy who imposes his offensive will on the game (not yet, anyway) and Jalen is still figuring out how to play the way Boeheim wants him to.

The reality that I’m beginning to resolve myself to accept is that we’re going to be a lot more similar to last year’s squad than I (and probably a lot of other posters on this site) would like. But there’s still a long way to go...

Agreed. Why do you think the pace as slowed back down again? All this talk of pushing it. One would think getting easy baskets should be top priority. It almost seems Carey isn’t allowed to push. Frank isnt’t totally healthy yet but that’s an adventure even if he is in terms of not plodding. We have more bodies this year. I get we don’t have a lot of collective speed out there but we need to try to generate easier offense, IMO. Is it just JB’s comfort zone now? All that talk early on was just a smokescreen/fools gold?

If anyone has watched all our games and thinks just getting Frank back is going to make our offense effective is just not looking at the big picture.
This team doesn’t score easy enough against any team.
Living by the jump shot and playing slow reduces possessions and gives any team a smaller margin of error in winning the game.

There are ZERO excuses for only attempting 42 shots in a full game against Cornell.
I don’t care we show 21 for 42. That is what should happen we let teams play slow and it forces Battle/Brissett to HAVE TO BE as efficient as they were.

We literally don’t pass or move the ball a majority of offensive posssssions. Again all offsense is on the individual player that make efficiency ratings highly volatile and problematic:

Our offense is not good or championship worthy. That is the frustration. Our defense can get us to a final four. However we aren’t winning a NC until we are complete team.

A SU team like 2011 which lost in the second round of the tournament is a lot better than last years team which made the Sweet Sixteen. If all that matters is the tournament then honestly why even follow the journey. The regular season should be entertaining while winning. Our beans of basketball is not entertaining. It’s grinding out slow low possession games.
Did you even read the first two posts of the thread? Did you understand them?

I think you need to acknowledge that your beef is with the pace, and type of plays we run - aesthetics. Last night we shot 50% from the field and 38% from 3 - solid efficiency. Even better numbers against OSU.

So? I’m aware. We improved from 100 to 92 from after OSU to after Cornell. 49.7% to 49.9% in terms of Floor %. I just hope we can generate easier baskets somehow. Not rocket science. If it’s wrong to try to hope for most possessions to not look like you’re going in for a root canal then so be it. It’s not debateable though that we settle for bad shots, don’t reverse the ball well, stand around too much, etc. I’m fully aware also and resigned to the fact that being a jump shooting team (good or bad shots) is probably the only way to play with this bunch.

I think you need to acknowledge that your beef is with the pace, and type of plays we run - aesthetics. Last night we shot 50% from the field and 38% from 3 - solid efficiency. Even better numbers against OSU.

Against Cornell.

So? I’m aware. We improved from 100 to 92 from after OSU to after Cornell. 49.7% to 49.9% in terms of Floor %. I just hope we can generate easier baskets somehow. Not rocket science. If it’s wrong to try to hope for most possessions to not look like you’re going in for a root canal then so be it. It’s not debateable though that we settle for bad shots, don’t reverse the ball well, stand around too much, etc. I’m fully aware also and resigned to the fact that being a jump shooting team (good or bad shots) is probably the only way to play with this bunch.
OK, I just don't get pining for an offensive style that JB has really never used. And, yes, I do share your frustration in not running more off of rebounds/turnovers, but I don't consider that as part of the "offensive sets" discussion. With last night's game, I believe the beef should be w our piss-poor rebounding effort and our defensive efficiency (i.e. Morgan), and just overall lethargy

look at what it was against EW and Morehead

Morehead would dispose of Cornell pretty easily, IMO. EW is terrible. UConn dropped 91 on Cornell, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom