Official 2022 Schedule | Syracusefan.com

Official 2022 Schedule

Niiice always good to see it in full. Only complaint is that we double up the same teams we doubled up last year. There was really no way to change that around? Also there is the whole thing with UVA looking really good next year/being out for revenge and all that. Would be nice if we could double up Duke or Unc instead.

Niiice always good to see it in full. Only complaint is that we double up the same teams we doubled up last year. There was really no way to change that around? Also there is the whole thing with UVA looking really good next year/being out for revenge and all that. Would be nice if we could double up Duke or Unc instead.

I wouldn't want to play UVA twice, but I think I'd rather play Notre Dame twice than Duke. I'm expecting ND to be slightly worse than last year and Duke to be a bit better. But who knows, really.

The ideal schedule would have been ND and UNC twice, Duke and UVA once, IMO. So this is neither the best nor worst case scenario.

Posted this in the other thread but probably belongs here:

About as we expected, a few general thoughts.

One thing we heard was that SU was going to look to pay some different opponents and play more games then they had under Desko. Outside of the Maryland game this looks pretty similar or really identical. Where are the new opponents? Where are the get right games?

Said it before a few times but not a fan of the Maryland game this year, asking a lot of a new HC and a revamped offense. That said if your gonna do that it has to be balanced out a bit with a few cupcakes, playing only one true cupcake in Holy Cross with this team is asking for trouble. Yes SU always plays a murderous schedule but this is the schedule a team like Duke or UVA or Maryland should be playing, legit title contenders, not this current SU team.

The last 7 games might be he toughest stretch of any team in the country. Duke, at ND, at Albany, Cornell, @ UNC, UVA, ND. Yikes. Needed a Siena or Canisius or St. Bonaventure in there to break things up. People should be prepared for some serious growing pains.

One thing we heard was that SU was going to look to pay some different opponents and play more games then they had under Desko. Outside of the Maryland game this looks pretty similar or really identical. Where are the new opponents? Where are the get right games?

Said it before a few times but not a fan of the Maryland game this year, asking a lot of a new HC and a revamped offense. That said if your gonna do that it has to be balanced out a bit with a few cupcakes, playing only one true cupcake in Holy Cross with this team is asking for trouble. Yes SU always plays a murderous schedule but this is the schedule a team like Duke or UVA or Maryland should be playing, legit title contenders, not this current SU team.

The last 7 games might be he toughest stretch of any team in the country. Duke, at ND, at Albany, Cornell, @ UNC, UVA, ND. Yikes. Needed a Siena or Canisius or St. Bonaventure in there to break things up. People should be prepared for some serious growing pains.

Looks like we dropped Bingo and Colgate for Stony Brook and Holy Cross.

Two more ACC games = less OOC opportunities.

I like it , early measurement games.. a few game to build.. end with a bang… firm believer that to be the best you have to beat the best!!

Looks like we dropped Bingo and Colgate for Stony Brook and Holy Cross.

Two more ACC games = less OOC opportunities.

Agreed but were also choosing to play multiple scrimmages versus adding less arduous OOC games like Duke does. We could play another 2 games if we chose to. I would have kept Colgate on the schedule, gotta have at least 2 breather type games. As sacrilegious as it is I probably would have taken a year off of the Army series. It's a game that's increasingly become a no win proposition for SU.

Agreed but were also choosing to play multiple scrimmages versus adding less arduous OOC games like Duke does. We could play another 2 games if we chose to. I would have kept Colgate on the schedule, gotta have at least 2 breather type games. As sacrilegious as it is I probably would have taken a year off of the Army series. It's a game that's increasingly become a no win proposition for SU.
Has it helped Duke win any more titles?

I think outside of MD we have a good shot at winning all of our out of conference games. Holy Cross and Hobart I don't see any potential for us to slip up. Stony Brook we beat up last year and 5 of their 6 top scorers are seniors so I assume around half of those guys do not return. Albany will of course be pumped to host us but I don't think they have the talent to keep up.

The rest get tougher but not impossible. I expect a good step back for Cornell. No Jeff Teat alone is a big loss and that's not all they lose. Hopkins I am hoping doesn't improve enough to be an issue and of course we will have a very motivated Petro on the sideline. I really think we can beat Army and will be motivated after last year. Also we get them after 2 crazy tough games instead of them being first of the year.

I am ready to accept some tough times. Barring an 0-15 finish I don't see any way this year can match the sheer amount of pain and suffering we went through last year. Humiliating defeats, team shattering scandals, and most painful, extremely high expectations for the team that we completely failed to meet. This year with expectations in check, and the monster 2022 recruiting class on the horizon, I should be able to keep my chin up.

Has it helped Duke win any more titles?

It's helped them get to a hell of a lot more final fours. Not trying to be that guy but comparing our post-season success the last decade to Duke's isn't a great idea. Also look at UVA's schedules the last 5 years, good mix of tough games with multiple cupcake type games. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I think outside of MD we have a good shot at winning all of our out of conference games. Holy Cross and Hobart I don't see any potential for us to slip up. Stony Brook we beat up last year and 5 of their 6 top scorers are seniors so I assume around half of those guys do not return. Albany will of course be pumped to host us but I don't think they have the talent to keep up.

The rest get tougher but not impossible. I expect a good step back for Cornell. No Jeff Teat alone is a big loss and that's not all they lose. Hopkins I am hoping doesn't improve enough to be an issue and of course we will have a very motivated Petro on the sideline. I really think we can beat Army and will be motivated after last year. Also we get them after 2 crazy tough games instead of them being first of the year.

I am ready to accept some tough times. Barring an 0-15 finish I don't see any way this year can match the sheer amount of pain and suffering we went through last year. Humiliating defeats, team shattering scandals, and most painful, extremely high expectations for the team that we completely failed to meet. This year with expectations in check, and the monster 2022 recruiting class on the horizon, I should be able to keep my chin up.

I agree somewhat, though I think your underselling how tough games @ Albany and Hop will be and while @ SB should be a win, hard to pencil a W for sure at this point. I will be happy if the team can simply make the tourney, tough in a year 1 of a new staff with a complete overhaul of the D to be a contender in the ACC. The 2022 class adds immense talent next year but SU will also have to replace most of the starting six on offense, its starting FOGO and multiple defenders defensively so it won't get any easier. Just think it would have made sense to dial back the schedule a bit but Gait knows a hell of a lot more then I do so so I am sure he did it for a reason.

I agree somewhat, though I think your underselling how tough games @ Albany and Hop will be and while @ SB should be a win, hard to pencil a W for sure at this point. I will be happy if the team can simply make the tourney, tough in a year 1 of a new staff with a complete overhaul of the D to be a contender in the ACC. The 2022 class adds immense talent next year but SU will also have to replace most of the starting six on offense, its starting FOGO and multiple defenders defensively so it won't get any easier. Just think it would have made sense to dial back the schedule a bit but Gait knows a hell of a lot more then I do so so I am sure he did it for a reason.
Albany just doesn't have the horses. Not one guy on the offense who scares me, especially with no Tehoka, and no stud recruit lined up to turn things around. I think all the motivation and crowd antics in the world won't make up for their current lack of talent.

At Hop will be much tougher. I admit that Petro coming back does not mean we are guaranteed to stop them and the emotions of the day could be a negative instead of a positive. They don't have a nightmare matchup outside of maybe Desimone but their O does move the ball very well and that was enough to get the advantage of our defense last year.

I am still quite nervous about the D, but a hopefully healthy Clary (who looked fantastic early in the season) plus Drago will be sufficient for LSM. I really like some of our young guys at SSDM and expect improvement there. Rosa is great but I especially like Olexo. Carter Rice should play right away with his speed. A healthier year at that position could go a long way. Aviles and Dami playing while dealing with injury as the season went on was one of the many issues that hurt us. Can Petro clean up the team defense collapses? That is the big big question and that will determine our ceiling this season.

9-5, I’m calling it. Big man cuse is feeling it. And they are gonna make you all eat your words. Go enjoy Xmas now

Very tough schedule, no doubt. I think the timing of some of these games is tough. UVA on a Saturday followed by Army on Wednesday when both of those games are notorious slugfests. That Albany game on Thursday after a game against Notre Dame (who we've really struggled against recently) on a Saturday, then followed by Cornell on a Monday. Yikes. That Albany game screams trap game. I do appreciate the fact that there will be no more than two road games in a row.

I tried to breakdown the games into categories below, like Doctah did, just laid out differently.

Wins - Holy Cross, Hobart
Favored - Army, Stony Brook, Hopkins, Albany, Cornell
Underdogs - Maryland, UNC, Notre Dame x2, Duke, UVA x2

That would leave the team with a 7-7 record, which honestly I'd be happy with. Some of these games are definite gray area territory. I feel less good about games against Army, Hopkins and Cornell than I do about Stony Brook and Albany. I also feel better about playing UNC than I do about the other ACC plus Maryland games. And as last year showed us Syracuse hardly ever follows the script in the regular season, beating UVA twice but losing to Army last year.

I agree with Jeremy that I wish there were a few more cupcakes on the schedule, though I am not sure who they could have swapped out besides Maryland. I don't think Army, Hopkins, Cornell or Albany could be swapped out very easily given the history between the teams. Maryland does seem like an unnecessary addition, no argument from me on that one. Just have to hope that Phaup plays out of his mind against a suspect UMD FOGO crew.

It's helped them get to a hell of a lot more final fours. Not trying to be that guy but comparing our post-season success the last decade to Duke's isn't a great idea. Also look at UVA's schedules the last 5 years, good mix of tough games with multiple cupcake type games. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Yeah, I hear you. I just think the blowout wins are useless as far as developing players--you don't get better playing weaker competition especially on defense. All that said, the blow out loses last season still sting and still have me shaking my head: how do you beat UVA twice and play Duke to a one goal game and then get completely obliterated by the Heels, Army, ND, and G'town? I don't know, it's enough to make you a day drinker.

Some of you guys are already offering some insight into the season so I'll just say my realistic expecations for this team are probably around .500 with a chance to get into the tournament at the end of the year. A lot of unknowns, most of which revolve around a mostly new coaching staff. Outside of the 2 wins against the eventual Champs I thought last season sucked, so I'm looking forward to seeing improvement in certains area's and hopefully more competitive league games.

I may be missing something here, but doesn't doubling up against two acc teams funtion as the same "blatant RPI booster" that the acc tourney was? It could actually be more of a booster as every acc team gets a guaranteed 2 extra acc games instead of two teams getting one extra and one team getting none.

I wouldn't want to play UVA twice, but I think I'd rather play Notre Dame twice than Duke. I'm expecting ND to be slightly worse than last year and Duke to be a bit better. But who knows, really.

The ideal schedule would have been ND and UNC twice, Duke and UVA once, IMO. So this is neither the best nor worst case scenari
In order to develop depth, young players need to play in meaningful games, at meaningful times, without a short leash.
This is Cuse. Play to compete, play to win. Use of depth is only as good as talent of depth.

Playing the number one and two teams in the country in the second and third games of season is not time for giving minutes to those not yet shown capable of playing agaisnt meaningful opponents.

I may be missing something here, but doesn't doubling up against two acc teams funtion as the same "blatant RPI booster" that the acc tourney was? It could actually be more of a booster as every acc team gets a guaranteed 2 extra acc games instead of two teams getting one extra and one team getting none.
All four acc opponents are top ten teams so yes as far as r.p.i. calculations but they can also be r.i.p. games for subjective selections if Cuse is not highly competitive in those

All I ask is that everyone try to maintain some composure and not completely overreact after what will probably be a Holy Cross win and perhaps a Maryland loss. Let the team develop over the course of the season. Please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom