Official and Fans | Syracusefan.com

Official and Fans

CuseCPT

All Conference
Anyone get the scoop on the exchange between the white ref and a couple of fans along the baseline court side seats? It was right after a horrendous possession call got overturned. I've never seen a referee engage with a fan as much as that in the Dome. Security was telling the fans to sit down and back off.

The white ref thought he saw Charles Oakley in the crowd and was prepared to throw his a$$ out of here

Apparently the fan tried to bribe the ref to let Oakley suit up for SU and make the rebounding go from zero to hero. Seriously, can you imagine SU for 10 minutes with Oakley doing windex duty? Heck 5 minutes?

Apparently the fan tried to bribe the ref to let Oakley suit up for SU and make the rebounding go from zero to hero. Seriously, can you imagine SU for 10 minutes with Oakley doing windex duty? Heck 5 minutes?

Can't imagine it. We've never played Virginia Union - ever - I don't think :).

Not too many Div II, 9th round draft picks make it in the NBA.

Anyone get the scoop on the exchange between the white ref and a couple of fans along the baseline court side seats? It was right after a horrendous possession call got overturned. I've never seen a referee engage with a fan as much as that in the Dome. Security was telling the fans to sit down and back off.
I've always wondered what the specific rules are on what you can say when you are sitting court side. Or are the rules the same? Obviously cursing and offensive remarks would not be tolerated and could result in ejection, but can you yell things like "that was a bad call", etc assuming you are not vulgar or offensive?

I've always wondered what the specific rules are on what you can say when you are sitting court side. Or are the rules the same? Obviously cursing and offensive remarks would not be tolerated and could result in ejection, but can you yell things like "that was a bad call", etc assuming you are not vulgar or offensive?

Doesnt CTO mention courtside seats? I cant picture her saying anything offensive to the refs, but how about the time she lent the seat to the less well mannered CuseTroop who was likely drunk off his rocker? Cusetroop, what were you allowed to get with my man?

Doesnt CTO mention courtside seats? I cant picture her saying anything offensive to the refs, but how about the time she lent the seat to the less well mannered CuseTroop who was likely drunk off his rocker? Cusetroop, what were you allowed to get with my man?

There were for sure rules, I just can't remember them. I think the thought of getting thrown out, or even just causing some sort of issue, kept me on my best behavior.

Pretty sure this is the hardest I've ever gone after a ref. After the UCONN game at the Garden this year. I'm right above the "50" in Syracuse's score, #11 jersey.

15400965_10155547508788452_9082314468341932477_n.jpg

There were for sure rules, I just can't remember them. I think the thought of getting thrown out, or even just causing some sort of issue, kept me on my best behavior.

Thanks for the replies bro! Once in a great while I feel like I have done something to really add to the conversation, which in this case was just invoking your name! Right on (other than I wish I had been right about you being hammered and on edge! lol)

Thanks for the replies bro! Once in a great while I feel like I have done something to really add to the conversation, which in this case was just invoking your name! Right on (other than I wish I had been right about you being hammered and on edge! lol)

Heyy now, never said I was sober haha.

are those george hickers seats ? and by the way i wish we could have heard the exchange after the gillon flop.

Last edited:
are those george hickers seats ?

Was that the guy the announcers mentioned as being a long time seat holder?

In all of my adult life, I am not sure I have ever heard announcers name drop(cough cough) regarding the location of folks' seats during a game. Am I alone on that one!??!!?! I mean Spike Lee at the Knicks game is one thing because many folks recognize that loud mouth runt from him helping to lose crucial playoff games with his antics, but we're talking people the vast majority of normal folks wouldn't know from Charles Manson here.

While I am at it, was it just me or did they refer to Boeheim as "Bo" multiple times? I have no problem with it and enjoy mispronouncing his name, usually when I'm drunk or riled to some degree, but I am not sure I have ever heard announcers repeatedly refer to him as that. Is there any chance these fellas partake of some sort of controlled substance(alcohol from a flask, or anything) before, during, and/or after the game? It seemed like the announcing version of what that one fellow would call Tavern League. What was his name again?

George Hicker and Jim Burr say Hi!

Former Syracuse University player is ejected by referee in the second half
Sunday, January 14, 2007
By Mike Waters
Staff writer

(George) Hicker still stunned by ejection in Dome

The first thing George Hicker did was call his mother and father.

Hicker, 60 years old and the father of two adopted teenage boys, called his folks immediately after getting ejected from Syracuse University's basketball game against Villanova on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

"They're in their 90s. I knew they might be watching the game," Hicker said Monday from his parents' home in Franklinville, about 60 miles south of Buffalo.

Hicker's parents were watching the game, but the television coverage revealed little about Hicker's ejection.

Hicker, who now lives in California, was at the Dome as part of the university's tribute to the 1966 squad, which earned only the second NCAA Tournament bid in school history. Hicker was a starter on that team along with Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Orange great Dave Bing.

With 5:31 remaining in the game, referee Jim Burr ordered Carrier Dome security personnel to remove Hicker from his second-row baseline seat.

Hicker said Monday that he had voiced his objection to some of Burr's calls but insisted that he never used a profanity.

"I didn't use any vulgarity or profanity," Hicker said. "I was with my wife (Kathy) and our two boys."

Hicker said he shouted, "You've been making these kind of calls for 20 years."

"He said, 'You say it again and you're gone,' so I said it again," Hicker recalled. "That's all I said. I still can't believe he threw me out for that."

Burr declined to comment after the game.

When faced with an unruly fan, according to NCAA rules, Burr could have issued a technical foul against Syracuse or ordered the ejection.

A Big East Conference official said Monday that commissioner Mike Tranghese and director of officials Art Hyland would not comment on the matter. No fan has been ejected by a referee in the Carrier Dome in recent memory.

Hicker said he is upset because the ejection showed him in a bad light - one that made him uncomfortable even as strangers cheered his removal and friends ribbed him about it later that night.

"I'm walking back to the hotel after the game and every car going by is honking its horn and cheering," Hicker said. "But the thing is that's not a good example to set for my boys or a whole crowd at the Dome. It's a situation I don't feel like I created."

Hicker repeatedly expressed concern for his sons, whom the Hickers adopted from Russia. The adoptions were finalized about four months ago after years of governmental red tape.

Questioned again about his language, Hicker said he did not curse at Burr.

"I'm the head of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Los Angeles," Hicker said. "I don't talk like that. When people talk like that, I leave because I don't like that kind of talk."

Hicker played at Syracuse from 1965 to 1968. He led Syracuse in scoring as a junior, averaging 18.6 points in the 1966-67 season. His jump shot was known as the Hicker Flicker.

A major donor to the university, Hicker watched the game right behind SU athletic director Daryl Gross. Gross refused to comment after the game. Hicker said Gross didn't say anything to Burr or try to intervene on his behalf.

"It wouldn't be good for him to get involved," Hicker said. "It wouldn't be good for Jim (Boeheim) to get involved."

After leaving the baseline area, Hicker went into the Executive Club's private box in the Dome's 200 level. At one point, he even waved to Gross.

"The police just tried to get me to move to another seat, but I said I'd leave the area," Hicker said. "And then I went up to the box."

Was that the guy the announcers mentioned as being a long time seat holder?

In all of my adult life, I am not sure I have ever heard announcers name drop(cough cough) regarding the location of folks' seats during a game. Am I alone on that one!??!!?! I mean Spike Lee at the Knicks game is one thing because many folks recognize that loud mouth runt from him helping to lose crucial playoff games with his antics, but we're talking people the vast majority of normal folks wouldn't know from Charles Manson here.

While I am at it, was it just me or did they refer to Boeheim as "Bo" multiple times? I have no problem with it and enjoy mispronouncing his name, usually when I'm drunk or riled to some degree, but I am not sure I have ever heard announcers repeatedly refer to him as that. Is there any chance these fellas partake of some sort of controlled substance(alcohol from a flask, or anything) before, during, and/or after the game? It seemed like the announcing version of what that one fellow would call Tavern League. What was his name again?

Nah, I think they were talking about the mustard guy. (don't mean to offend anyone, just didn't want to throw his name out)
I was wondering about the "bo" thing as well.

Sunday, January 14, 2007
By Mike Waters
Staff writer

Hicker, 60 years old and the father of two adopted teenage boys, called his folks immediately after getting ejected from Syracuse University's basketball game against Villanova on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

"They're in their 90s. I knew they might be watching the game," Hicker said Monday from his parents' home in Franklinville, about 60 miles south of Buffalo.

Hicker's parents were watching the game, but the television coverage revealed little about Hicker's ejection.

Hicker, who now lives in California, was at the Dome as part of the university's tribute to the 1966 squad, which earned only the second NCAA Tournament bid in school history. Hicker was a starter on that team along with Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Orange great Dave Bing.

With 5:31 remaining in the game, referee Jim Burr ordered Carrier Dome security personnel to remove Hicker from his second-row baseline seat.

Hicker said Monday that he had voiced his objection to some of Burr's calls but insisted that he never used a profanity.

"I didn't use any vulgarity or profanity," Hicker said. "I was with my wife (Kathy) and our two boys."

"He said, 'You say it again and you're gone,' so I said it again," Hicker recalled. "That's all I said. I still can't believe he threw me out for that."

When faced with an unruly fan, according to NCAA rules, Burr could have issued a technical foul against Syracuse or ordered the ejection.

A Big East Conference official said Monday that commissioner Mike Tranghese and director of officials Art Hyland would not comment on the matter. No fan has been ejected by a referee in the Carrier Dome in recent memory.

Hicker said he is upset because the ejection showed him in a bad light - one that made him uncomfortable even as strangers cheered his removal and friends ribbed him about it later that night.

"I'm walking back to the hotel after the game and every car going by is honking its horn and cheering," Hicker said. "But the thing is that's not a good example to set for my boys or a whole crowd at the Dome. It's a situation I don't feel like I created."

Hicker repeatedly expressed concern for his sons, whom the Hickers adopted from Russia. The adoptions were finalized about four months ago after years of governmental red tape.

"I'm the head of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Los Angeles," Hicker said. "I don't talk like that. When people talk like that, I leave because I don't like that kind of talk."

Hicker played at Syracuse from 1965 to 1968. He led Syracuse in scoring as a junior, averaging 18.6 points in the 1966-67 season. His jump shot was known as the Hicker Flicker.

A major donor to the university, Hicker watched the game right behind SU athletic director Daryl Gross. Gross refused to comment after the game. Hicker said Gross didn't say anything to Burr or try to intervene on his behalf.

"It wouldn't be good for him to get involved," Hicker said. "It wouldn't be good for Jim (Boeheim) to get involved."

After leaving the baseline area, Hicker went into the Executive Club's private box in the Dome's 200 level. At one point, he even waved to Gross.

"The police just tried to get me to move to another seat, but I said I'd leave the area," Hicker said. "And then I went up to the box."

A corollary of "Little League Parents", these guys have to learn there public time is done. But since he's a member of the Fellowship, he must have been doing what God wanted.

Remember that game well. I was in the student section right behind him.

No ref should be allowed to toss a fan, they aren't paying you, and they sure as heck aren't paying to watch you officiate the game, these refs get treated too well. God forbid we should be critical of them.

Sunday, January 14, 2007
By Mike Waters
Staff writer

Wow crazy. I was away in 2007, never heard about this.

A buddy of mine sits under the visitor bench basket. Gets on refs all the time. Nothing vulgar or inappropriate just questioning calls Some will engage him back during time outs some will not.

No ref should be allowed to toss a fan, they aren't paying you, and they sure as heck aren't paying to watch you officiate the game, these refs get treated too well. God forbid we should be critical of them.

Mostly I agree, but if someone lets loose a string of racial epithets or something crazy like that, then I'd understand tossing them.

We used to have fun yelling at the refs in college and most were really good-natured about it. But I suppose there is a difference between a few people yelling at you at a Mercer game and the Carrier Dome.

Mostly I agree, but if someone lets loose a string of racial epithets or something crazy like that, then I'd understand tossing them.

We used to have fun yelling at the refs in college and most were really good-natured about it. But I suppose there is a difference between a few people yelling at you at a Mercer game and the Carrier Dome.

Well ya, racial slurs is crossing the line, if they said that security should have given them the boot.

Nah, I think they were talking about the mustard guy. (don't mean to offend anyone, just didn't want to throw his name out)
I was wondering about the "bo" thing as well.

Being the board has slowed down and nobody but the 2 of us have commented, I'm almost tempted to start a thread, lol. I'm quite curious about it, as they seemed to be speaking as if they were pals and had been speaking with him, if I recall.

Or maybe they had seen some ACC Bojangles commercials and decided "it's bo time"? Either way, that was the first time I'd heard any announcers refer to JB as that. This is where I'm hoping like on one of those gameshows where you can dial a friend, someone from "the payside" will appear and speak wisdom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom