Spoiler Alert - Official Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Thread | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert Official Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
WARNING: THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR THOSE THAT HAVE SEEN THE FORCE AWAKENS.

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Overall a fantastic movie. I need additional viewings to fully digest what I just saw.

A few open questions I have:

Is Kylo Ren dead? I mean, he's pretty beat up and the Starkiller base exploded. I'm assuming General Hux picked him up as Snoke instructed before it blew.

Who are Rey's parents? I mean, it has to be Luke, right? Or is she Han and Leia's i.e. Kylo's sister? My $ is on Luke (with the saber calling to her, etc). And why was she abandoned in Jakku?

What's Snoke's deal? Obviously a big cloud of mystery around his character.

What prompted R2 to come to life with the other part of the map? Was it the presence of Rey?

Are Finn and Rey an item now?

Also...interesting that there was no fanfare b4 the star wars appeared on screen...silence during the Lucasfilm logo.

I also didn't notice the use of "wipes" during the movie, a stylistic choice used for every SW film to date.

I can't imagine more pressure, make a good Star Wars movie after the dude who invented Star Wars pretty much struck out when he tried it (prequels). No big deal. JJ Abrams steps up and knocks it out of the park.

I don't think Ren is dead, agree that Hux picked him up.

My money is on Rey being Han and Leia's. I think the saber called to her for the same reason Kylo Ren thought it was his, it belonged to their grandfather.

No wipes, but at least there was a Star Destroyer in the first first scene, just like Episodes IV-VI.

No chance Ren is dead. He is the son of Leia and Han. Seeing his downfall from Luke's padawan will be an interesting cartoon series IMO in the future a la the Clone Wars

I am convinced Rey is going to end up related to the Skywalker/Solo in Ep. 8.

I wish there was more to Finn's backstory and think that will be interesting as well.

Abrams basically ripped of A New Hope but this was well done.

Harrison Ford really wanted Han Solo killed off. I wonder if he will be a spirit.

The Anakin Skywalker lightsaber was a nice homage.

They really wanted to push BB-8 as a droid.

Here is how I see the characters
Rey= Luke
Finn= Han Solo
Han= Obi Wan
Ben/Rey = his grandfather Vader
Luke= Yoda

I can't think how Rey will NOT end up being a Skywalker or Solo but it just seems likely as homage to ESB with Luke/Vader.

Maybe Ren tries to persuade his sister to the Dark Side but I just think it is likely. I wish they gave her last name but they didn't on purpose. I mean they had to give her last name if they didn't want us to think she is related to Luke/Leia.

Dividing their twins. One to be trained by Luke as his padawan and putting the girl on Jakku by herself at 5 so in case her brother went to dark side they had a backup?
Thus when Ben went bad they had Rey to stop him? That is my theory.

As Jedi have to be trained as youngsters but I have no clue.

And I Also have to say, Daisey Ridley is not only gorgeous...man that girl has some acting chops.

Also...what was the deal with Max Von Sydow's character? Who was he supposed to be?

Overall a fantastic movie. I need additional viewings to fully digest what I just saw.

Is Kylo Ren dead? I mean, he's pretty beat up and the Starkiller base exploded. I'm assuming General Hux picked him up as Snoke instructed before it blew.

Who are Rey's parents? I mean, it has to be Luke, right? Or is she Han and Leia's i.e. Kylo's sister? My $ is on Luke (with the saber calling to her, etc). And why was she abandoned in Jakku?

What prompted R2 to come to life with the other part of the map? Was it the presence of Rey?

Also...interesting that there was no fanfare b4 the star wars appeared on screen...silence during the Lucasfilm logo.

I also didn't notice the use of "wipes" during the movie, a stylistic choice used for every SW film to date.
I will be stunned if Rey isn't Luke's daughter, to be honest. "This was Luke Skywalker's lightsaber, and his father before him. And now, it's calling to you."

I mean...come on. Obviously she's his daughter.

I thought the acting was pretty good for Star Wars, although Fisher did her best to screw that up.
Totally bought into Rey as the new hero. Ridley did a great job.

lummgr said:
I thought the acting was pretty good for Star Wars, although Fisher did her best to screw that up. Totally bought into Rey as the new hero. Ridley did a great job.

Absolutely carrie fisher was horrible

Cant believe how much i liked finn. I was literally missing dialogue from laughing at his "im in charge now! Im in charge now! IM IN CHARGE NOW!"
"Take it down a bit"
Also the "we'll use the force" hilarious

I would be stunned as jek said about if rey is not luke's daughter.

Kylo ren will be the main antagonist moving forward, has to be.

Cant believe how much i liked finn. I was literally missing dialogue from laughing at his "im in charge now! Im in charge now! IM IN CHARGE NOW!"
"Take it down a bit"
Also the "we'll use the force" hilarious

I would be stunned as jek said about if rey is not luke's daughter.

Kylo ren will be the main antagonist moving forward, has to be.

I was surprised how funny it was. The original trilogy had some great one liners, but we all saw how easy it is fumble comic relief in movies like this (cough Jar Jar cough). They hit the sweet spot in this one.

I was surprised how funny it was. The original trilogy had some great one liners, but we all saw how easy it is fumble comic relief in movies like this (cough Jar Jar cough). They hit the sweet spot in this one.
I'd chalk that up to the fact that Lucas was pandering to kids with his "humor." JJ doesn't have that issue.

I loved the fact JJ didn't care about the Star Wars EU. I just don't see Luke being Rey's father. It would mean he married or atleast had a relationship with a woman not introduced yet.

Would they use Mara Jade?

If they go EU way the new Jedi can get married and stuff if they go back the stupid Prequels and Jedi have to completely control their emotions.

I wouldn't mind it going the EU way.

There is a lot of depth that can be learned about Finn.

This movie was well done.

No chance that he's dead. I think it's assumed like you said that Hux got to him in time.

It certainly heavily hinted towards her being Luke's kid. My one reservation is that it takes a decent bit of leaping to get there. In the 10 or so years after ROTJ (I'm guessing Rey is roughly 18-20 years old at this point and I think the movie takes place 30 years after ROTJ?), Luke started a Jedi Academy, met a woman that he had at least one child with, left the mother (mother possibly died), and left their child on Jakku. It just gets kind of sloppy IMO, but I'm guessing we'll find out for sure in VIII, and I'd still probably put my money on Luke being the father.

Snoke's backstory is probably what I'm most interested in. I'm not sure where exactly he came from, and he obviously had something terrible happen to his face.

I definitely got that vibe as well. I support it.

Very enjoyable movie.

My money's on Rey being Ren's sister.

That was my thought going into the movie, but the fact that Han and Leia remember their son but don't seem to remember a daughter kinda stuck a fork in that theory for me. At this point, I think being Luke's child or simply a child born out of the Force is more likely.

That was my thought going into the movie, but the fact that Han and Leia remember their son but don't seem to remember a daughter kinda stuck a fork in that theory for me. At this point, I think being Luke's child or simply a child born out of the Force is more likely.
Exactly. They fully, surprisingly, and quickly addressed who Kylo Ren's parents were. I just can't imagine Leia forgetting she had a daughter, or them not even acknowledging it. The speed with which she harnessed the force and the way Luke's lightsaber responded to her, I just cannot fathom Luke not being her dad.

I just cant wait to see what rian johnson has in store for episode VIII
Dude is my favorite writer/director
Gonna be dark
And awesome

My one complaint I think, and maybe it's just me, was that (MASSIVE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE AND ARE READING THIS FOR SOME REASON, GO AWAY AND DON'T READ THIS NEXT PART)

...Han's death just didn't impact me at all. It felt a little rushed and hokey. That was the first time we saw him interact with his son, so whatever tension was there was rushed and just didn't really work for me. As soon as he confronted him, I knew he was going to die, because 1) Harrison Ford has always wanted Han to get killed off, and 2) there's obviously no chance he was going to be able to flip Kylo Ren to the good guys in the first conversation we ever see him have with the dude. I didn't buy for a second that Ren was going to actually change his ways or even really consider it.

The embrace between Leia and Rey at the end...

No words were spoken. Was that about Hans death, or was it because she knows she is her niece? Potentially that is

Star Wars more than almost any other movie gives subliminal clues through John Williams' music.

Rey has her own theme (a really good one once it becomes more recognizable), but in key moments when she holds a lightsaber, you hear Luke's theme. That settles her as Luke's daughter for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom