Offseason Focus for Each Player? | Syracusefan.com

Offseason Focus for Each Player?

CardiacCuse

All Conference
What should each player be working on and adding to their game this offseason?

I'll start it off:
Quadir - decision-making (limiting turnovers, knowing when it is there and when it is not, etc), shooting/scoring
Maliq - diversifying his offensive repetoire, knowing how to score when he is physically overmatched, being more assertive
JT - rebounding, better 1 on 1 scoring/driving
Chris Bell - rebounding, putting on weight
Hima - extending offensive range, more fluid movement
Judah - 3pt shooting, crunch time decision making, not forcing on offense/passing at the right times
carey - adding weight (not sure, really)
JJ - (not really sure) 3pt shooting % and assists were low as a freshman - playing in team concept and not forcing when it isnt there (?)
Chance - outside shot
Benny - being aggressive on the court, going hard for the rebounds, playing above the rim, 1 on 1 scoring moves, timing passes
patterson - ?

Benny I would say confidence. I think with Red he plays with more aggressiveness but needs to have confidence in his overall game.
Really have high expectations for Quadir. Agree needs to play under more control.
Maliq is another player I feel can take a big step. If he adds around 10 pounds he could be a strong force in the paint.
The others are a wait and see depending on Red’s system.

Benny I would say confidence. I think with Red he plays with more aggressiveness but needs to have confidence in his overall game.
Really have high expectations for Quadir. Agree needs to play under more control.
Maliq is another player I feel can take a big step. If he adds around 10 pounds he could be a strong force in the paint.
The others are a wait and see depending on Red’s system.
Quadir is going to crush it this year if Judah doesn’t come back.

What should each player be working on and adding to their game this offseason?

I'll start it off:
Quadir - decision-making (limiting turnovers, knowing when it is there and when it is not, etc), shooting/scoring
Maliq - diversifying his offensive repetoire, knowing how to score when he is physically overmatched, being more assertive
JT - rebounding, better 1 on 1 scoring/driving
Chris Bell - rebounding, putting on weight
Hima - extending offensive range, more fluid movement
Judah - 3pt shooting, crunch time decision making, not forcing on offense/passing at the right times
carey - adding weight (not sure, really)
JJ - (not really sure) 3pt shooting % and assists were low as a freshman - playing in team concept and not forcing when it isnt there (?)
Chance - outside shot
Benny - being aggressive on the court, going hard for the rebounds, playing above the rim, 1 on 1 scoring moves, timing passes
patterson - ?
Judah. Will be gone!!!

They all need to get physically stronger and accept learning to play fundamentally sound man defense. Create a defensive attitude and be there for each other.

They all need to get physically stronger and accept learning to play fundamentally sound man defense. Create a defensive attitude and be there for each other.
En lieu of the staff's ability to coach them the hours they require to make the change to man defense, the coaches need to find a team for them to emulate and the players need to watch tons of video and play countless hours together to try to get there. Because, this is going to be a hard transition. It will be hard, but they can make it if they put in the work. We need a leader or two to step up and show them the effort required. I hope we get a transfer guard to take that roll.

Benny Bell Jt.
Number one develop a handle. They have to be able to take their guy off the bounce, off the dribble.
For me, these guys have to all work together on defense. I am not sure they can feel good about it until they go against anyone other than themselves. But, they should be studying film nonstop. We should be deep enough to run 10 guys and they should be working on conditioning to be able to go 10 minutes of nonstop movement on both defense and offense. Then rotate out for a couple minutes rest and back in to go 100%. So, I guess that means that I want their focus on conditioning. If I were coach, I would tell them I would expect 10 guys ready to go full speed at 8-10 minute increments and not to take that lightly, because we are talking constant movement on both ends. There is no conservation of energy, it's all out, because there is a man ready behind you and you should ask to come out when you aren't ready to give 100% with no shame.

They’re all going to need to learn to play together, especially with a point guard they’ve never played with, this year is going to have a lot of bumps and bruises.

They’re all going to need to learn to play together, especially with a point guard they’ve never played with, this year is going to have a lot of bumps and bruises.
If Judah isn't back, I want to know who the leader is.

Copeland?

En lieu of the staff's ability to coach them the hours they require to make the change to man defense, the coaches need to find a team for them to emulate and the players need to watch tons of video and play countless hours together to try to get there. Because, this is going to be a hard transition. It will be hard, but they can make it if they put in the work. We need a leader or two to step up and show them the effort required. I hope we get a transfer guard to take that roll.
Not sure the change to man is going to be that dramatic of a change for the players. They all played man prior to coming to su. Both JJ and Chance come from playing man. What ever center we bring in the same applies.
Bell, JT and Copeland only played exclusively the zone for 1 year. Benny two years. I think everyone would agree all of them were a work in progress with the zone D.
Hima was only in the system for 1 year. Patterson comes from playing man.
The players with the most experience playing zone left.
I’m not worried about the transition to m2m. The concern is can they keep the non stop defensive intensity for 40 minutes.

Not sure the change to man is going to be that dramatic of a change for the players. They all played man prior to coming to su. Both JJ and Chance come from playing man. What ever center we bring in the same applies.
Bell, JT and Copeland only played exclusively the zone for 1 year. Benny two years. I think everyone would agree all of them were a work in progress with the zone D.
Hima was only in the system for 1 year. Patterson comes from playing man.
The players with the most experience playing zone left.
I’m not worried about the transition to m2m. The concern is can they keep the non stop defensive intensity for 40 minutes.
High school to college is night and day and the other guys played shitty man defense. I am hoping we want to play intense man defense. If so, they ALL need to get up to speed FAST.

If Judah isn't back, I want to know who the leader is.

Copeland?
Dash said the staff is high on and that he could start, I believe him. That said, from what I saw last year I don’t know if that will get us to where we need to be.

At the end of the day we have three guys who can bring the ball up and one more possibly added, as long as they make the line up adjustments quicker than the last regimen. Still irritates me we went with Frank Howard as long as we did when Gillon was the obvious choice and we just missed the tournament.

I’m rooting for Red big time, I think he knows what he’s doing.

Dash said the staff is high on and that he could start, I believe him. That said, from what I saw last year I don’t know if that will get us to where we need to be.

At the end of the day we have three guys who can bring the ball up and one more possibly added, as long as they make the line up adjustments quicker than the last regimen. Still irritates me we went with Frank Howard as long as we did when Gillon was the obvious choice and we just missed the tournament.

I’m rooting for Red big time, I think he knows what he’s doing.
Agreed, I don't just mean the Judah minutes though. It looked to me that because of his talent Judah was positioned to take on a certain leadership role.

I don't think we were strong there last season. Jesse and Joe were leaders by stats, but I never got the sense either guy was much of a "show the young guys the way" type of leader. Or the "stay calm, we got this" kind of leader on the floor.

And when I look at the current roster, nobody really jumps out, except maybe for Copeland, because of his enthusiasm and support from the bench, and honestly maybe Bell, because he seemed to absorb coaching feedback positively.

Agreed, I don't just mean the Judah minutes though. It looked to me that because of his talent Judah was positioned to take on a certain leadership role.

I don't think we were strong there last season. Jesse and Joe were leaders by stats, but I never got the sense either guy was much of a "show the young guys the way" type of leader. Or the "stay calm, we got this" kind of leader on the floor.

And when I look at the current roster, nobody really jumps out, except maybe for Copeland, because of his enthusiasm and support from the bench, and honestly maybe Bell, because he seemed to absorb coaching feedback positively.
Copeland is a leader of men. It's just whether he starts.

For Copeland, it's everything on the offensive end. That's not meant to be funny. He looks like he's on the playground when he's out there. If there isn't a transfer at guard, he's going to have to take that leap so that the burden isn't on Westry and Starling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom