Class of 2019 - OG Mason Trotter (SC) Committed to Clemson | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OG Mason Trotter (SC) Committed to Clemson

How many signings does that make for Clemson in this year's class now? Still trying to understand what the unconditional limit of 25 really means.

How many signings does that make for Clemson in this year's class now? Still trying to understand what the unconditional limit of 25 really means.
He's a gray shirt so he will count for next year. Early enrollees don't count towards the current year either. CuseLegacy can probably explain this better than I can.

He's a gray shirt so he will count for next year. Early enrollees don't count towards the current year either. CuseLegacy can probably explain this better than I can.
Sorry gbo. The rules were changed with the early signing period. Early enrollees count and there are no more gray shirts. No more back dating to a previous class. If they gray shirt, prep, they can't sign now.

Transfers don't count towards the 25 total limit per class only towards the 85 cap. I haven't looked to see if any of your 2019 class are transfers.

Last edited:
I don't know unless they are a transfer which doesn't count towards the 25. Just a thought could it be they are getting financial aid or an academic scholarship and not a football scholarship? That would be a new way around the 25 limit.

Sorry gbo. The rules were changed with the early signing period. Early enrollees count and there are no more gray shirts. No more back dating to a previous class. If they gray shirt, prep, they can't sign now.

Transfers don't count towards the 25 total limit per class only towards the 85 cap. I haven't looked to see if any of your 2019 class are transfers.
Glad I tagged you then because it appears I'm out of the loop.

gbo Clemson probably has some kids in the portal.
Looks like I misread this and thought you were talking about me.

I'm sure after the semester ends that a few will appear in there.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not throwing shade at Clemson (a program I have TREMENDOUS respect for) or any other school. Just seemed like the new rules eliminated all loopholes and set a hard cap at 25. I believe I did read somewhere that you can sign up to 28 but only award first time scholarships to 25 in a given academic year. I assumed that retains some kind of hedge against non-qualifiers, but other than that I don't know if any of us know what other exceptions are in the current rules.

Do they have a TE we could use in there?

Where is this mythical portal anyhow?
Transfer Portal:

maxresdefault.jpg

Do they have a TE we could use in there?

Where is this mythical portal anyhow?
We only have 1 TE with any experience on the roster and he is mostly a blocker.

Hackett's got good hands just doesn't get the ball thrown to him much. At 226 not a big guy to block.

Tyrone Wheatley jr is transferring from Mich and in the portal. Schaefer We went at him hard in High School lets hope Babers closes him

Why? He couldn't make it at Michigan so he transferred to Stony Brook.
Good point! I guess I am thinking back to his high school days. Surprised he didn't dominate at Stoney Brook of all places

I thought the rule was if you sign early and don’t qualify you still count towards the 25 cap. Can’t greyshirt or backdate, it’s 25 in a class regardless of 85 or not. Is that an incorrect assumption?

I thought the rule was if you sign early and don’t qualify you still count towards the 25 cap. Can’t greyshirt or backdate, it’s 25 in a class regardless of 85 or not. Is that an incorrect assumption?
No the 85 cap is always the ultimate determinant in how many can be taken in a class as long as the 25 limit per class isn't gone over. D1 teams can only have 85 scholarship players on the team per year with the exception of walk ons. Non scholarship players can be added until the team is at 101 players?
And if a prospect signs early but then doesn't qualify the school loses the scholarship but then they can always bring in a Grad student who doesn't count towards the 25.

Does this make any sense. I'm not sure as I need more coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom