Oh oh...Laz Sims | Syracusefan.com

Oh oh...Laz Sims

bevosu

Hall of Fame
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Mayor Ben Walsh has suspended the city's commissioner of parks and recreation while the district attorney investigates financial discrepancies within the parks department.

Commissioner Lazarus Sims was placed on administrative leave Monday, after an audit from City Auditor Marty Masterpole prompted the involvement of the county's top law enforcement agency.

Parks commissioner Lazarus Sims suspended while DA probes 'financial discrepancies'

It's in DA hands, then there is something

I'd expect to see more audits done moving forward. Masterpole is being put to work after a four year vacation
Don't hold your breath on more audits coming. Masterpole was pointed in the direction on this one. As a certified and accomplished audit professional, Masterpole is blight on the profession. In six years Masterpole has done nothing to become a better auditor. Has not become certified. Has not attended industry learning events, many which are held locally. Has Does his 4 mostly non-challenging audits a year. Fitzpatrick had him nailed correctly. Funny now Fitz has to work with him on this one. Hope he has documented the financial trail appropriately.

Don't hold your breath on more audits coming. Masterpole was pointed in the direction on this one. As a certified and accomplished audit professional, Masterpole is blight on the profession. In six years Masterpole has done nothing to become a better auditor. Has not become certified. Has not attended industry learning events, many which are held locally. Has Does his 4 mostly non-challenging audits a year. Fitzpatrick had him nailed correctly. Funny now Fitz has to work with him on this one. Hope he has documented the financial trail appropriately.
It's unfortunate but it's not going to end well.

There was no accounting of where fees went

It's something.

This has been a long time coming. It was amazing that Walsh kept him on through the transition. This guy has powerful friends, but maybe he's burned his last bridge. (I say this as someone who was Z's biggest fan as a player, but dealing with him in his professional role was a nightmare.)

It's something.

This has been a long time coming. It was amazing that Walsh kept him on through the transition. This guy has powerful friends, but maybe he's burned his last bridge. (I say this as someone who was Z's biggest fan as a player, but dealing with him in his professional role was a nightmare.)
One of the guys at my employer had a meeting with him some time ago, said it was horrible.

Finally.

Though if you look at certain Facebook feeds you might think this will start a race war. Lot of ugly stuff out there (which is the only reason this guy was hired in the first place).

I officially apologize to Gerry McNamara and everyone I argued with when Boeheim passed over Sims for Bernie's job. The man knows what he's doing.

Is the facebook thing and individual post or people jumping on a syracuse.com article? Doesn't sound good.

Is the facebook thing and individual post or people jumping on a syracuse.com article? Doesn't sound good.

A few friends of friends on Facebook. People I don't know personally but know of...when you see their work titles and affiliations, it makes sense in a stereotypical sort of way. It's pretty sad and really frustrating. And when Fitzpatrick is involved, it obviously gives folks a little ammunition.

This has to be about more than 3k right OM?

Yeah, I was surprised to see that low number. He's left a trail of dirt and I can't speculate on what the DA's looking to do with this charge. I feel bad for the Sims family, but it'd be best for everyone if he just went away.

Ouch. Not good for everyone involved.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that low number. He's left a trail of dirt and I can't speculate on what the DA's looking to do with this charge. I feel bad for the Sims family, but it'd be best for everyone if he just went away.
I assume this is about who he is surrounded by?

This is likely coming from him being charged with third degree grand larceny. That requires a theft of >$3k. Second degree grand larceny is theft of >$50k, so number is likely somewhere between the two.

I assume this is about who he is surrounded by?

No, it's about him. He's an awful guy. You know how some people are totally unqualified for what they do but they're kind of sheepish and grateful so they're nice about it? He's totally unqualified, he knows it, and he knows that everyone knows it, so he's got a chip on his shoulder. He's greedy and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and for some reason the powers that be aren't sweeping this under the rug as they've done with prominent people in the past. That aspect surprises me.

But there are a lot of hard-working people in the parks department who'll be relieved to get a new boss who's not dumber than they are.

No, it's about him. He's an awful guy. You know how some people are totally unqualified for what they do but they're kind of sheepish and grateful so they're nice about it? He's totally unqualified, he knows it, and he knows that everyone knows it, so he's got a chip on his shoulder. He's greedy and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and for some reason the powers that be aren't sweeping this under the rug as they've done with prominent people in the past. That aspect surprises me.

But there are a lot of hard-working people in the parks department who'll be relieved to get a new boss who's not dumber than they are.

Your line about being unqualified and knowing that everyone knows it can apply to a number of city and county employees that have pretty responsible, well paid positions. It IMHO is one of the biggest thing holding this community back. It happens all over but nepotism and cronyism seems much more prevalent here. It's killing us.

Your line about being unqualified and knowing that everyone knows it can apply to a number of city and county employees that have pretty responsible, well paid positions. It IMHO is one of the biggest thing holding this community back. It happens all over but nepotism and cronyism seems much more prevalent here. It's killing us.

It's a problem, for sure. And it helps surround everyone (and there are a lot of hard-working employees out there) with an air of skepticism or suspicion.

Glad to see they are holding him accountable. Despise seeing people like this just given jobs around the area because of their name or some sports achievement from 20 years ago despite having 0 qualifications.

Glad to see they are holding him accountable. Despise seeing people like this just given jobs around the area because of their name or some sports achievement from 20 years ago despite having 0 qualifications.

The funny (and sad) thing is that he could've gotten this job without any qualifications, made his 50% more than area median income with excellent health benefits, and retired in a couple decades under an excellent pension plan, if only he'd shut up and gone to work every day and not stolen money from us. You know, like the bare minimum expectation of holding a job. And everybody would've politely nodded and continued to hold Z in high regard.

This all would've required zero effort and would've been like hitting the lottery for him.

But he's so greedy and arrogant that that hugely favorable career gift wasn't enough in his eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom