Ohio Tailgate Sept 4th, 2021 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Tailgate Sept 4th, 2021

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
6rmr0qq1jhbz56gl.jpg

Due to a family commitment I need someone to take lead on this. I can assist and mentor as needed. There is a chance I'll be able to attend but won't know for sure for a few months.

Syracuse to Athens, Oh is about 8 hours. No airport nearby.

Tailgating should be easy...most MAC stadiums are easy and parking is cheap.
I think 25-50 tickets is a very easy goal to shoot for. Group rate tickets with MAC schools are cheap ($10-20)

Motels: I expect motels in Athens will be fairly pricey. However, if I go I expect to stay 30-60 miles away. Ohio State is away that weekend at Minnesota so that should help around central Ohio finding a motel.

IF YOU CAN TAKE LEAD, VOLUNTEER HERE OR PM ME TO TALK ABOUT IT. THANKS

Irreverent look at the stadium seating chart.

judgemental-seating-chart-of-peden.png

Last edited:
6rmr0qq1jhbz56gl.jpg

Due to a family commitment I need someone to take lead on this. I can assist and mentor as needed. There is a chance I'll be able to attend but won't know for sure for a few months.

I think 25-50 tickets is a very easy goal to shoot for. Group rate tickets with MAC schools is cheap ($10-20)

Motels: I expect motels in Athens will be fairly pricey. However, if I go I expect to stay 30-60 miles away. Ohio State is away that weekend at Minnesota so that should help around central Ohio finding a motel.

Would we be in the irrelevant people section?

We played in the NCAA tournament in Pittsburgh a while back. Maybe 2012?

I went down there. My memory is that we played on a Friday and I got there on a Thursday. Headed to a sports bar to watch NCAA games. It think it was a place affiliated with Jerome Bettus and I am pretty sure it was close to Heinz Field and PNC Park downtown.

Anyway, me and whoever I was with decided to pick a team and have fun with it. Ohio University was playing Michigan. Ohio was a 12 seed. Michigan was highly favored as a 4 seed. There were some Michigan fans in the house so my and my friends decided to root for Ohio.

Ohio had a surprisingly good team that had just won the MAC tournament. They played a great game and eventually slew the favored Wolverines. My and whoever I was with had a great time rooting for Ohio. We were a little boisterous and as the game continued, Ohio fans started popping up next to us on all sides. Michigan fans withdrew (they couldn't stand to be near our high fiving, whopping it up reactions) and more Ohio fans arrived. By the end of the game, we were all united and good friends. Athens is not far from Pittsburgh and apparently is a common place for Ohio alums to settle in.

They all wanted to know what year we graduated, and if we were going to the next round if they kept winning. They were shocked when we told them we were not alums. Are you from Athens then? No, we have never been there. Are you funnin us? Really? What were you rooting for Ohio then? We explained it was the right thing to do. Michigan is evil and must be stopped whenever possible. When in doubt, root for the underdog. Plus, those green unis were the bomb.

They made us promise to come back for the next game on Saturday (this was Thursday night). We did and they won that one too and we had another great time partying with the Ohio people. They went on to the Sweet Sixteen in St Louis, where the following week they lost a heartbreaker to #1 seed UNC in overtime. These young Ohio grads begged us to come back to Pittsburgh for the Sweet Sixteen to continue to bring good mojo but we didn't (Syracuse was still alive and c'mon, it is like a 6 or 7 hour drive!).

Anyway, I have good memories of Ohio University, and if I happen to stumble upon one of their games, I root for them to this day.

Except on September 4th, 2021. ;)

I think I will have a group of at least 4-5 going to this game. We live in WNY. I don't feel I could take the lead, but I can help transport food or beverages as needed.

Really enjoyed our trip to Kalamazoo in 2018, so hoping this is similar.

I think I will have a group of at least 4-5 going to this game. We live in WNY. I don't feel I could take the lead, but I can help transport food or beverages as needed.

Really enjoyed our trip to Kalamazoo in 2018, so hoping this is similar.
No worries...if I can make it I'll lead. I'm not going to plan a huge tailgate. Probably max at 50...I used to think those were huge. LOL

The key thing is delegation to folks you trust...to come through like you did for me before. Probably have you be my soda and coney guy...

No worries...if I can make it I'll lead. I'm not going to plan a huge tailgate. Probably max at 50...I used to think those were huge. LOL

The key thing is delegation to folks you trust...to come through like you did for me before. Probably have you be my soda and coney guy...

if there ends up being a tailgate here...I might find a way to make this game work into my schedule

I checked and unfortunately, the Indians and the Pirates are out of town the weekend of September 4th. However, the Toronto Blue Jays are in town that weekend. Not suggesting to make a side trip to Toronto, I think that would be too far out of the way.

But if Toronto ends up playing in Buffalo again this season, that might be a good doubleheader. They play the Oakland Athletics. Something to think about...

Cinci is home that weekend. although somewhat the wrong direction

Cinci is home that weekend. although somewhat the wrong direction
Yes, would not be interested in going further in the wrong direction. That is a long drive to Syracuse from SW Ohio.

If the Blue Jays play their home games in Toronto this season and the border is open, I would much prefer stopping there instead. It isn't that much out of the way and Toronto is a great city with lots to do and see.

I was just thinking fly to Cincy and drive home as an option.

We plan on attending, should have between 4-8 people total in our party. We can't lead a tailgate as we will be in KY for a HS game prior to this and are not sure on timing, but happy to help in any way we can.

Cuseregular looks likely at this point...

SoBeCuse (Paul M.) coming

Last edited:
Cuseregular looks likely at this point...
Count me in for two, Mark. I can bring the hotdog rolls. I'll have to scout around and find an area to stay in. I'll want to see some things around Ohio, while I'm there.

Count me in for two, Mark. I can bring the hotdog rolls. I'll have to scout around and find an area to stay in. I'll want to see some things around Ohio, while I'm there.
I'm staying at the Quality Inn in Athens...however the direction you are coming from...a stay in Parkersburg, WV might work too. I plan to drive down Friday afternoon and drive back shortly after the game. I'm hopeful for a Noon kickoff. If a night kickoff...it might mean two nights near Cleveland...we'll see

I'm staying at the Quality Inn in Athens...however the direction you are coming from...a stay in Parkersburg, WV might work too. I plan to drive down Friday afternoon and drive back shortly after the game. I'm hopeful for a Noon kickoff. If a night kickoff...it might mean two nights near Cleveland...we'll see

hmmmmmm put me in for a tentative 2 on this if you’re running a tailgate.

going to have to convince the wife to miss Labor Day weekend on the lake/boat, will see what I can do LOL

hmmmmmm put me in for a tentative 2 on this if you’re running a tailgate.

going to have to convince the wife to miss Labor Day weekend on the lake/boat, will see what I can do LOL
Have it all...if this is a noon kickoff...Leave Bingo early/mid afternoon on Friday. Stay in Parkersburg, WV or Athens, OH. Drive home after the game, head to the lake for Sun/Mon. A later kickoff might mean two nights. Google sez 8 hours from the Triple Cities.

I'm very hopeful I'll be able to attend but it depends right now on a family thing...

You know I’m in buddy. We can bring the Bengal bus and tailagte out of that if needed. Just let me know what we need!

5F7C0539-9F2F-4843-A654-1585AFDADB43.jpeg

Looks like a noon kickoff to start the season. Hope the Orange is well represented for this game..

View attachment 199303
Looks like a noon kickoff to start the season. Hope the Orange is well represented for this game..
Not sure I'd trust that. The MAC has a contract with ESPN and they (ESPN) usually announce the first three weeks of programming by early June.

However a nooner for me would be perfect...

Last edited:
Good news...my schedule has freed up. Ohio is a go for me. Rumor is it will be a nooner. We should know by late May.

corpjet and I will be leading this. I plan to cap this at about 50.

We'll keep the menu fairly simple and will work it after kickoff time is known.

I'm staying here if we have an early kickoff. If we end up with a later kickoff this might be a 2 night trip.

If you book with a gov't/Mil rate it is $85 a night otherwise quite a bit more.
Parkersburg, WV is a great alternate location about 40 mins east (for those coming from Upstate NY/East coast)

Talked to Ohio AD staffer yesterday. He said if the game doesn't get picked up by ESPN/2/U they usually like to play openers at 6pm on Saturday.

ESPN announced the bulk of weeks 1-3 TV times NLT May 31 from '17-'19. I'm hopeful the game time is announced by the end of the month.

BTW, if you find Motels in Athens too expensive or sold out: try Parkersburg, WV, Marietta, OH or Zanesville, OH.

Last edited:
6rmr0qq1jhbz56gl.jpg

I think 25-50 tickets is a very easy goal to shoot for. Group rate tickets with MAC schools are cheap ($10-20)

HOLY SHMOLEY! As my mama used to say. I must say, as a proud graduate of Ohio University's journalism school, you freakin nailed it! I hope to see many of you that weekend, if things go as planned (usual?) I'll be the guy in the gutter on Court St with my orange underwear peeking out from under my green and white Bobcat garb. For anyone that has never been to Athens it's an awesome little college town along the Hocking River (hence the nickname "Harvard on the Hocking") with the highest per capita of bars in the country. (Hey, it's my story/town). The OU Inn is the nicest and only hotel within walking distance of campus. The Marching 110 is "The Most Exciting Band in the Land" and is also the reason most students go to the game (sadly).