Class of 2017 - OJ Lefty Bruin - QB (NY) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 OJ Lefty Bruin - QB (NY)

Whitey23 said:
Need to fill out a roster. You never know what will happen.

Also have the FL kid as a preferred walkon. He was rated pretty well and had a decent arm I think.

Whitey23 said:
I think the goal should be to not have to rely on a walk on ever again.

Agreed.

Not sure the kid in this discussion isn't of the same caliber as the FL kid who is on campus right now as a preferred walkon. That was my point.

No issues with grabbing another QB (as long as that's cool with DeVito).

Agreed.

Not sure the kid in this discussion isn't of the same caliber as the FL kid who is on campus right now as a preferred walkon. That was my point.

No issues with grabbing another QB (as long as that's cool with DeVito).
I hate that type of thinking... "As long as x player is good with it"

It's the same thing we saw with Robert Washington. You don't see this with big time programs. Big time recruits come in and compete for jobs and they understand that's what they will have to do.

If SU is ever going to get back to the point where we will be able to compete every year with the FSUs and Clemsons of the world then SU can't worry about what one recruit thinks.

If whatever play, and I'm not specifically speaking about Devito, is worried about not being able to beat out another then the truth is he proably isn't good enough.

Generally speaking, if any player is bold enough to voice displeasure in regards to more competition, that player's not one I'd even want. It's not the players team, it's the team's team and the coaches job to put the best roster together they can.

No player, let alone a recruit, makes that decision. And if they do, you don't want them anyway.

its a big part of getting a qb to commit is to promise not to take another in his class. I agree a kid should not care about competition , Texas A&M tried to flip DeVito already

its a big part of getting a qb to commit is to promise not to take another in his class. I agree a kid should not care about competition , Texas A&M tried to flip DeVito already
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but, that's a pretty generalized statement. It might happen to a handful of kids/teams, but, it's less likely to happen than not.

Generally speaking, if any player is bold enough to voice displeasure in regards to more competition, that player's not one I'd even want. It's not the players team, it's the team's team and the coaches job to put the best roster together they can.

No player, let alone a recruit, makes that decision. And if they do, you don't want them anyway.
Agreed... Most of these kids know if they can win the job or not and if they decommit because another kid came on at his position then most likely he wasn't going to beat him out.

Look at BAMA.. Mac jones flipped from Kentucky to BAMA even though Tua T(I'm not going to spell his last name) was already committed. Both were at elite 11. That shows me that jones eyeballed him and knew that he could compete for playtime.

I'm looking forward to the day SU has kids transferring because they have been recruited over and x player knows he can't beat out the kid that was brought in.

What if he flips on signing day and the coaches haven't recruited anyone else?

SYR2RDU said:
I hate that type of thinking... "As long as x player is good with it" It's the same thing we saw with Robert Washington. You don't see this with big time programs. Big time recruits come in and compete for jobs and they understand that's what they will have to do. If SU is ever going to get back to the point where we will be able to compete every year with the FSUs and Clemsons of the world then SU can't worry about what one recruit thinks. If whatever play, and I'm not specifically speaking about Devito, is worried about not being able to beat out another then the truth is he proably isn't good enough.

Didn't mean to start anything - and to be clear - I don't know what the staff has told Devito.

I don't care either way. I was more speaking to the idea that the gulf between this player and the other preferred walkon might not be very big at all.

One thing about T. DeVito, he isn't shy about competition a matter of fact that is what makes him as good as he is. So if TT (who is going to be a stud QB) was to commit to SU , I'm sure they both would welcome the challenge. Bama and Clemson and other top school constantly have two or three QBs that are 4* recruits.

Didn't mean to start anything - and to be clear - I don't know what the staff has told Devito.

I don't care either way. I was more speaking to the idea that the gulf between this player and the other preferred walkon might not be very big at all.
No worries I completely understand what you were saying.

Take QB out of it.. I see it on this board a lot. If we are involved in a player trying to recruit him and he shows some type of interest in SU people start to worry he will get scared off if we offer someone else.

Competition is good and the program won't turn around until it has it.

SYR2RDU said:
No worries I completely understand what you were saying. Take QB out of it.. I see it on this board a lot. If we are involved in a player trying to recruit him and he shows some type of interest in SU people start to worry he will get scared off if we offer someone else. Competition is good and the program won't turn around until it has it.

Agreed. 100%. Promises get you in trouble.

I think in this case, if you think TD is solid and you have pressing needs elsewhere, you don't have to bring in another QB.

I definitely feel he is solid enough but you saw last year how many time ED got hurt. You are only a hit away from a back up. I say go out and get another one. jmo, but TT will be ED & TD combine.

Ideally id want 5 qbs on the roster, one for every class but definitely you need 4. Scholie qbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom