OK, I got one - movie everyone loves, but you think sucks | Syracusefan.com

OK, I got one - movie everyone loves, but you think sucks

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Following along this discussion of movies and stuff, I'm curious to know which movies people generally love that you really don't appreciate and suffer consequences for voicing that opinion. I'm talking about the ones where everyone agrees it's great except for you, and because you don't you get treated like an idiot.

Here are some of mine:

Lord of the Rings - Peter Jackson is to movie lengths what Chris Berman is to the 2 minute drill.

Citizen Kane - Yeah, that's right. You can recognize that it was groundbreaking while also acknowledging that it's absolutely brutal to watch.

The Hangover - Granted I saw it on Comedy Central or something, but it really wasn't funny.

Interested to hear from others.

Citizen Kane was awful. I am in the process of watching LOTR - good, not great. Never saw the hangover.

Following along this discussion of movies and stuff, I'm curious to know which movies people generally love that you really don't appreciate and suffer consequences for voicing that opinion. I'm talking about the ones where everyone agrees it's great except for you, and because you don't you get treated like an idiot.

Here are some of mine:

Lord of the Rings - Peter Jackson is to movie lengths what Chris Berman is to the 2 minute drill.

Citizen Kane - Yeah, that's right. You can recognize that it was groundbreaking while also acknowledging that it's absolutely brutal to watch.

The Hangover - Granted I saw it on Comedy Central or something, but it really wasn't funny.

Interested to hear from others.

agree on Citizen Kane

I also hated Avatar - an incredibly stupid movie for anyone who stopped to consider the plot

and Inglorious Basterds - I used to like Tarantino, but beginning with Kill Bill, he has gotten increasingly impressed with his own tricks & dialogue and his films have grown increasingly wordy and boring.

I do agree that Jackson's movies are way too long - another guy overly impressed with his own talent

A few more: Titanic, Avatar, Toy Story, The Tree of Life, The Unforgiven

Alright buddy, Toy Story?! I might be younger than you, I forget how old I was when it came out, but I loved that lol

Alright buddy, Toy Story?! I might be younger than you, I forget how old I was when it came out, but I loved that lol
I can appreciate kid's movies. Toy Story is fine, but I don't understand the hard-on many adults have for it. I would never choose to watch it without a kid in the room. Did Toy Story 3 really deserve a "Best Picture" nomination?

I also hated Avatar - an incredibly stupid movie for anyone who stopped to consider the plot

Agree on Avatar not being worth all the hype. I didn't find it awful but alot of that is due to the visuals, especially in 3D, and not much to do with the run of the mill predictable plot.

Babel was a movie that alot of folks raved about, won an Oscar, but I hated probably due to expectations I had prior to watching it. It almost had a bunch of great stories going but didn't really bring them together and had alot of bizarre stuff that didn't seem to fit or be needed in the movie. It could've been a great movie but fell well short IMHO.

Good call on Avatar and Gladiator.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agree on Titanic. Never saw Avatar. Loved Toy Story

I realize maybe not a lot of people love it, but it did win best picture: The English Patient. What a brutal movie. Elaine Benes had it right on that one.

Braveheart?!

I personally love the movie. The only reason some don't like Braveheart is because of Mel Gibson and/or the fact that he physically does not resemble the Wallace from history. He was said to be a giant of a man for his time. I read the history of William Wallace after the film came out and was more annoyed with the timeline gaffes and Hollywood license used than anything else. But they really couldn't have done the film any other way.

"Now bleed with me."

When I heard those words the first time I was ready to jump into the screen and kick some English arse. :)

I thought this would be easy, but it really isn't. I could rattle off dozens of TV shows that would fit this category, but thinking of a movie was tough. I love movies in general. I never saw Avatar, so I can't say for sure if I'd hate it. I don't want to go too far back (50's and 60's) because I feel that bashing anything made before I was born isn't fair, and every Elvis Pressley movie would qualify anyway. So, looking at 1980 forward, because who really remembers the 70's, I would have to throw out these five flicks that were loved by most but did nothing for me:

Tootsie
The Big Chill
Fletch
Men in Black
Armageddon

I'm sure there are several others.

Anchorman
I'll disagree slightly on Anchorman - it's not worth the praise it gets, but I didn't hate it . . . unlike almost every other Will Ferrell movie.

Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler are money in the bank for movie producers, but I dislike almost everything they have ever done.

I'll disagree slightly on Anchorman - it's not worth the praise it gets, but I didn't hate it . . . unlike almost every other Will Ferrell movie.

Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler are money in the bank for movie producers, but I dislike almost everything they have ever done.

Have you seen WF in Everything Must Go? Not his typical type of movie.

Have you seen WF in Everything Must Go? Not his typical type of movie.
yup . . . IMO an unremarkable performance in an unremarkable movie

I didnt care for lincoln . Funny thing is im in the movie theater right now waiting for django to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup . . . IMO an unremarkable performance in an unremarkable movie

Certainly not the best movie I have ever seen but having been through a divorce not of my choosing there was a lot about the movie I liked and could relate too. So for me it was one of his better efforts.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Amen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom