Ok moving forward... | Syracusefan.com

Ok moving forward...

BostonOrange

2nd String
...we just have to play better on offense. Our lack of scoring has almost cost us 3-4 games and now we finally paid for it. I have accepted that we aren't going to run, so that means we need to be more efficient in the half court. CJ isolations aren't the answer. My personal suggestion would be tyler being more aggressive getting into the lane and more post looks for Rak\Jerami\CJ early in the shot clock. Play more inside out.

...we just have to play better on offense. Our lack of scoring has almost cost us 3-4 games and now we finally paid for it. I have accepted that we aren't going to run, so that means we need to be more efficient in the half court. CJ isolations aren't the answer. My personal suggestion would be tyler being more aggressive getting into the lane and more post looks for Rak\Jerami\CJ early in the shot clock. Play more inside out.
To me that is the key. We had inside out offense as early as Maui. We "got it". Ever since the Duke game we just have forgotten the whole concept of inside out for open jumpers/ hi percentage shots, esp Cj but Tyler and Grant too. (But it happens, remember Ul hit a wall temporarily midseason last yr. ) We basically just have been driving it blindly into the lane lately just like we did against OSU elite 8 2 yrs ago. Inside out is such basic basketball that any decent team understands. BC did it well tonite. Guess what they won. The good news is it is very fixable and our D has been pretty consistent. Go Cuse!

Bam!!!

I have a five step process for fixing us:
1. CJ stop sucking - how do you go from having an excellent mid-range game, to looking like a walk-on trying to make a deep three every time you pull up from 10+ feet away from the hoop
2. Ennis look to penetrate more
3. Make a concerted effort to get Rak 3 touches in the post per half
4. CJ, please stop sucking
5. Play me some Roberson for a couple minutes, especially when we're subbing for a forward

#5 does nothing to fix anything, I just want to see him some more.

To me that is the key. We had inside out offense as early as Maui. We "got it". Ever since the Duke game we just have forgotten the whole concept of inside out for open jumpers/ hi percentage shots, esp Cj but Tyler and Grant too. (But it happens, remember Ul hit a wall temporarily midseason last yr. ) We basically just have been driving it blindly into the lane lately just like we did against OSU elite 8 2 yrs ago. Inside out is such basic basketball that any decent team understands. BC did it well tonite. Guess what they won. The good news is it is very fixable and our D has been pretty consistent. Go Cuse!
And the thing is we have the guys to play inside out - Grant, Rak, and CJ all demand respect from the d when they catch it inside and they all are fairly willing passers (esp Grant and Rak). I think letting them touch it in the post, combined with a little more aggression from Tyler, can get us where we need to be. We'll see...it's not like I see any fatal flaws - as you say it is fixable.

Bam!!!

1. CJ stop sucking
5. Play me some Roberson for a couple minutes, especially when we're subbing for a forward

I'm especially down with #2.
I'd really like to see Ennis be more selfish (for lack of a better term) and take more shots.
And that's during the whole game; not just the last six minutes.

Unfortunately, ghost, I think Roberson is a permanent resident of JB's doghouse.

By the way, speaking of being Boeheimed, igor's Internet should be magically fixed very soon.

I'm especially down with #2.
I'd really like to see Ennis be more selfish (for lack of a better term) and take more shots.
And that's during the whole game; not just the last six minutes.

Teams are overplaying Cooney so much now we should try to slip him back door more. Baye & Rak have always been good delivering that pass from the top of the key. Just gotta clear the space to open it up. Have to try to keep the defense more honest on him.

Unfortunately, ghost, I think Roberson is a permanent resident of JB's doghouse.

By the way, speaking of being Boeheimed, igor's Internet should be magically fixed very soon.

I think so as well. I still don't get it though. He showed some flashes, he rebounds unusually well for a Frosh. He missed a bunny last game, but that was sort of Cooney for delivering the ball too early.

I guess I just don't get playing Gbinje as a forward. He's a placeholder. He's not very aggressive, and that's not changing. He's sooooo tentative.

I think so as well. I still don't get it though. He showed some flashes, he rebounds unusually well for a Frosh. He missed a bunny last game, but that was sort of Cooney for delivering the ball too early.

I guess I just don't get playing Gbinje as a forward. He's a placeholder. He's not very aggressive, and that's not changing. He's sooooo tentative.

Yeah, I'm not a G fan. As I've said, I hope Ennis comes back so KJ can back him up and then someone else (BJ or Buss) gets G's minutes.

Bam!!!

1. CJ stop sucking - how do you go from having an excellent mid-range game, to looking like a walk-on trying to make a deep three every time you pull up from 10+ feet away from the hoop

Re #'s 1 and 4 I do think that we have made things hard for him by maybe asking him to do more than he is really capable of doing in a consistent manner. Not that he has been great lately, but he is a good player who I think is a little out of his comfort zone.

Bam!!!

Agree w/ this, and I may be speaking from post-loss anxiety, but please for the love of orange can we get an offensive rebound?! we have the longest team in all of college basketball, yet we jack a shot and run, and when we do get a rebound, more than half the time its Grant.

I've questioned Fair being "the man" for much of the season. He is such a great player, however he is given too much focus, and too many opportunities. With Carmelo, you were essentially guaranteed a basket or a foul. He ATTACKED the rim, and looked to draw fouls. Fair did not attack tonight. He took no more than the defense gave him, and his layup attempts had no chance at drawing a foul. Layups are for fast breaks, or other wide open opportunities. When your defender's feet are moving and your 5' from the rim and closing, and you are a preseason POY, you need to dunk.

All of our bigs took it to the rack softly tonight. I don't understand why, b/c they are not soft players.

I've questioned Fair being "the man" for much of the season. He is such a great player, however he is given too much focus, and too many opportunities. With Carmelo, you were essentially guaranteed a basket or a foul. He ATTACKED the rim, and looked to draw fouls. Fair did not attack tonight. He took no more than the defense gave him, and his layup attempts had no chance at drawing a foul. Layups are for fast breaks, or other wide open opportunities. When your defender's feet are moving and your 5' from the rim and closing, and you are a preseason POY, you need to dunk.

All of our bigs took it to the rack softly tonight. I don't understand why, b/c they are not soft players.
He just needs to pass when the defense collapses on him

No ball movement to create open shots and too much isolation with CJ and Jerami going 1-on-1. Too many forced contested shots. The ball movement just isn't the same as earlier in the year. And Cooney is just too hot and cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom