OK Need some help | Syracusefan.com

OK Need some help

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Due to a Verizon Fios issue and then a chromecast issue I missed all but 5 mins of the game. Can someone give me a recap, I have a general idea of what happened but would love some thoughts overall from someone. Did Bomberry struggle with Nanticoke? 1st and 2nd mid lines? Young guns get in? Delisle?

I thought Bomberry did fine on Nanticoke that wasn't the problem at all. Face-offs were the issue. Defense was on the field for almost the entire first half. Also the young offensive guys did not look good. Passing and catching were a real issue today.

I put a lot of this on Desko's recruiting over the last few seasons. It has been bad. Plain and simple. Also I would be content to never see Lane and Simmons on the field again for the rest of their time here. They are flat out terrible, and the offense looks even worse with them on the field.

Ierlan.

Yup I had a feeling we were gonna get killed there today, Varello doesn't match up well with him and we don't really have anyone who does. Was hoping Desko would give Delisle, Martin and even Garlow a run like Maryland did. I am guessing he didn't do that.

Albany just looked better at every position on the field. But who knows really cuz SU barely had the ball

Yup I had a feeling we were gonna get killed there today, Varello doesn't match up well with him and we don't really have anyone who does. Was hoping Desko would give Delisle, Martin and even Garlow a run like Maryland did. I am guessing he didn't do that.

Martin was out today I saw him on the sideline today with his arm in a sling.

Delisle didn't fare much better (1-7)

Varello (3-13)

Fernandez (1-2)

Martin DNP injury.

Martin was out today I saw him on the sideline today with his arm in a sling.

Yikes, not what we needed. 2 new faceoff guys coming in next year plus the kid who is red-shirting this year. Hope Martin is OK though, need to have options when you don't have a top end guy.

Believe Delisle played a bit. But it didn’t matter. We were dominated at the X. Just clean face offs generally with little opportunity to win any ground balls.

We were pretty much dominated in every facet of the game.

We rushed things on offense when we got behind and took a lot of bad shots. Other times we couldn’t even get good looks.

That’s what bothered me the most: our offense was non existent when I thought we’d be able to at least score — but not out score — Albany. That was my biggest takeaway.

Figured we’d lose in a 15-12 kind of game. Not 15-3.

Madonna is fine. Our defense is solid. But we need to do a lot of work on offense. Someone mentioned Simmons and Lane as being issues. Lane is clearly a black hole. He can’t dodge and brings almost nothing to the offense.

Albany obvously has a few really talented offensive players. That’s what we miss — and a talented face off guy. When we were really good, we owned possessions because we had the better guy at the X.

Believe Delisle played a bit. But it didn’t matter. We were dominated at the X. Just clean face offs generally with little opportunity to win any ground balls.

We rushed things on offense when we got behind and took a lot of bad shots. Other times we couldn’t even get good looks.

That’s what bothered me the most: our offense was non existent when I thought we’d be able to at least score — but not out score — Albany. That was my biggest takeaway.

Madonna is fine. Our defense is solid. But we need to do a lot of work on offense. Someone mentioned Simmons and Lane as being issues. Lane is clearly a black hole. He can’t dodge and brings almost nothing to the offense.

Albany obvously has a few really talented offensive players. That’s what we miss — and a talented face off guy. When we were really good, we owned possessions because we had the better guy at the X.

People (not you) don't realize how good Ben Williams was and how underrated he really was. Such a wasted opportunity

Probably time to move on from Lane and Simmons. Make the second line Curry, Lipka Quinn/O'Sullivan.
I would also look to get Seebold sometime at attack and move Bomberry back to the 1st midline and get Dearth back on the 2nd, Dearth is way overmatched at this point.

Probably time to move on from Lane and Simmons. Make the second line Curry, Lipka Quinn/O'Sullivan.
I would also look to get Seebold sometime at attack and move Bomberry back to the 1st midline and get Dearth back on the 2nd, Dearth is way overmatched at this point.

I get the feeling they feel obligated in some way to Lane. Is he getting a larger scholarship than most? Or do they think he’s somehow, miraculously, going to use his size to dominate? Because it’s never happened.

According to the box score, DeLisle was 1-7 on FO's.

Very sloppy play too. Passing/Receiving wasn't there. Game got chippy a few times. It was 4-1 at half and the game went off the rails when Albany came out with a few unanswered goals.

You can't score when you don't have the ball. One of Varello and/or Delisle better step up starting this week. Very sloppy on offense. Careless passes, stupid passes, bad shot selection, rushed possessions. Got to clean this up fast.

Move Bomberry back to first mid line with Dordevic and Trimbo and slide Dearth back to second. I counted three bad rushed shots by Dearth early in possessions. Lane needs to sit. He brings nothing to the offense.

Last edited:
You can't score when you don't have the ball. One of Varello and/or Delisle better step starting this week. Very sloppy on offense. Careless passes, stuip passes, bad shot selection, rushed possessions. Got to clean this up fast.

Move Bomberry back to first mid line with Dordevic and Trimbo and slide Dearth back to second. I counted three bad rushed shots by Dearth early in possessions. Lane needs to sit. He brings nothing to the offense.
I like Dearth a lot. I know he hasn't done much, but he plays bigger than Lane even though he is not. Dearth absolutely killed a guy on a bull dodge, that was called a ward incorrectly.

Also thought the officiating was terrible on Saturday. Once again the pace at the X is inconsistent. Making guys wait longer, then shorter, then longer, etc. before the whistle is blown, that certainly did no favors for Delisle or Varello. Lots of crappy loose ball push calls as well.

If there was one positive for Syracuse I thought they were the much more physical team, which cost them so man up's but I personally love to see the aggression, and feel that if some of our defense's in the past played with the physicality that this one does there would have been some championships won with Rice, Donahue, Staats.

I like Dearth a lot. I know he hasn't done much, but he plays bigger than Lane even though he is not. Dearth absolutely killed a guy on a bull dodge, that was called a ward incorrectly.

Also thought the officiating was terrible on Saturday. Once again the pace at the X is inconsistent. Making guys wait longer, then shorter, then longer, etc. before the whistle is blown, that certainly did no favors for Delisle or Varello. Lots of crappy loose ball push calls as well.

If there was one positive for Syracuse I thought they were the much more physical team, which cost them so man up's but I personally love to see the aggression, and feel that if some of our defense's in the past played with the physicality that this one does there would have been some championships won with Rice, Donahue, Staats.

As others have mentioned, I don't understand the love affair with Lane. He's been given every opportunity to shine and show off his game and it's been pretty much nothing. Desko seems to favor his seniors and since there are so few on this team I think we'll see Lane continue to trot out there.

I like the aggression as well but it has to be tempered/controlled. Fusco getting penalized a couple of times for unsportsmanlike when he's supposed to be one of the leaders on D is simply unacceptable. Play in control and don't take the bait. I thought Dom played really well in the first half but just got overwhelmed with the shots and the D wearing down in the second. You knew Albany would score I just didn't think our offense would look as bad as they did. Get after it in practice this week and be ready for Army.