Ok where do you stand on the Chicken or the egg | Syracusefan.com

Ok where do you stand on the Chicken or the egg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Mike leave Syracuse because..

A) He knew Jim wanted to stay?

B) He just randomly left the appointed head coaching job in waiting to coach Washington?

Some here have nothing but a guess and some have some inside knowledge. I fall more towards having inside information but not as much as some.

I believe it was A!

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim previews 2019-20: ‘We’ll be an interesting team’
A. The rumblings from some on the board were that JB wasn’t the easiest for Hop to deal with during his last season. I think that was one of Hop’s clues that JB wanted to keep coaching.

Why do people keep asking this question?

Mike left two years ago. He's building himself a very nice career at UWash -- as he hoped he would.

Jim (and SU) made it very clear that Jim was leaving at the end of 2018 season. Mike knew this. (For gosh sakes, it was announced by the Chancellor. What's more official than that?)

Mike had been wanting to get back to the West Coast for years (e.g. the USC fiasco). He made that very clear when USC screwed him.

Am I the only one here who actually talked to Mike throughout his career at SU?

Last edited:
Both.

Also, a bird in hand (HC job in a power conference) is worth 2 in the bush (HC in waiting for an indefinite time).

I think Jim wanted to retire. I think if he had 2 titles he would have left.

I think Jim finally told Mike he was not leaving and that is why Hopkins left. I am sure Hopkins was not happy but understood. Hopkins was not himself his last year here.

I think Jim wanted to retire. I think if he had 2 titles he would have left.

I think Jim finally told Mike he was not leaving and that is why Hopkins left. I am sure Hopkins was not happy but understood. Hopkins was not himself his last year here.

JB says the opposite:

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has no plans to retire, no end-game strategy

Boeheim denied that he had second-thoughts about retiring. He said he was ready to step aside.

“People keep persisting that I wasn’t going to leave. I was leaving. That was it. I was done. There was no plot, there was no plan, there was no talk of anything. There was nothing.’’

Hopkins took the Washington job, said Boeheim, because he saw it as a great opportunity.

“I think he did the right thing,’’ Boeheim said. Hopkins has been named the Pac-12’s Coach of the Year in each of his two years at Washington. “Washington is a great job, and he’s done a great job.’’

Mike left two years ago. He's building himself a very nice career at UWash -- as he hoped he would.

Jim (and SU) made it very clear that Jim was leaving at the end of 2018 season. Mike knew this. (For gosh sakes, it was announced by the Chancellor. What's more official than that?)

Mike had been wanting to get back to the West Coast for years (e.g. the USC fiasco). He made that very clear when USC screwed him.

I will answer your question very clearly

one reason it’s brought up two years later is the article just came out her locally

The second reason is he is stating clearly that he was 100% prepared to retire and it was Mike’s choice exclusively and I think that’s a lie !!!

did I answer your question?

I will answer your question very clearly

one reason it’s brought up two years later is the article just came out her locally

The second reason is he is stating clearly that he was 100% prepared to retire and it was Mike’s choice exclusively and I think that’s a lie !!!

did I answer your question?

Okay, I get it. According to you, I'm a liar.

I think there are enough threads on this topic to warrant a separate forum.

Did Mike leave Syracuse because..

A) He knew Jim wanted to stay?

B) He just randomly left the appointed head coaching job in waiting to coach Washington?

Some here have nothing but a guess and some have some inside knowledge. I fall more towards having inside information but not as much as some.

I believe it was A!

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim previews 2019-20: ‘We’ll be an interesting team’
How about C) He accepted a job in an area he was familiar with for double or triple what he was currently making.

What do you mean

besides the mid major jobs he explored, there were also 2 p5 west coast jobs he considered and was in the final 2. both were 3-4 years earlier. what happens if he was offered?

People, as they always do, will believe what they want to believe. Whatever one chooses to believe, it's quite interesting, however, that JB was so apparently willing to step down and retire as laid out by the Chancellor (did I say the Chancellor) and now 2 years post that date mandated by the Chancellor, JB has no 'end game' in sight. So, he was so ready to retire, until he wasn't, and now isn't even when Buddy graduates in 3 more years. Now, that's one big change of heart I guess according to JB.

Unless, of course, JB never truly voluntarily wanted to retire in the first place, and with Hop bolting peculiarly in the 11th hour (considering how long he waited for the gig and that it 'twas the night before Christmas') the Code Red was no longer in place. ;)

You lost me at the "random" aspect of option B. If it was random, he would have left the job prior to getting other offers. He got offered a better job that was on the west coast, nearer his family and ailing father.

Why do so many people in this country feel the need to turn everything into an A or B scenario? Most important decisions in life are much more complex.

Unless, of course, JB never truly voluntarily wanted to retire in the first place, and with Hop bolting peculiarly in the 11th hour (considering how long he waited for the gig and that it 'twas the night before Christmas') the Code Red was no longer in place. ;)

would hop have "bolted" if offered the usc job 4 years prior or Oregon St 3 years prior?

People, as they always do, will believe what they want to believe. Whatever one chooses to believe, it's quite interesting, however, that JB was so apparently willing to step down and retire as laid out by the Chancellor (did I say the Chancellor) and now 2 years post that date mandated by the Chancellor, JB has no 'end game' in sight. So, he was so ready to retire, until he wasn't, and now isn't even when Buddy graduates in 3 more years. Now, that's one big change of heart I guess according to JB.

Or, circumstances changed (which they did) and that led JB to change his mind. Again, things aren't black and white all the time. And what would you have him say publicly? That he's retiring in 3 years? How will that play with recruiting? Most athletes and coaches don't retire on a timeframe, rather they evaluate their decision after every season or they abruptly retire in the midst of a season.

would hop have "bolted" if offered the usc job 4 years prior or Oregon St 3 years prior?

I don't believe the Code Red was in place at the time of those interviews, so it's a hypothetical that will go unanswered. ;)

I have a more important question...moog or dorman wheel bearings?

I don't believe the Code Red was in place at the time of those interviews, so it's a hypothetical that will go unanswered. ;)

I thought it was code orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors