Oklahoma hires Brent Venables | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma hires Brent Venables

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
It appears as if Venables is the guy OU covets…

If he goes, Clemson will still continue to be a very good football program, look what they’ve invested. But, as we all know, stays atop the power structure have typically been cyclical. Are they headed to the trough of their wavelength as opposed to riding the crest?

I’ll be interested to see if they can maintain their momentum. I think their biggest issue is lack of a game breaking QB, something they haven’t had to deal with in awhile for sure. Take away Venables and that’s another big ticket to contend with.

ACC looks like it’s going to be more competitive in the short term. Especially with Pickett going pro and Wake churning off a veteran roster. I think we may be in one of those times where things get jumbled a bit.

Here’s to hoping we’re poised to capitalize.

I think it’ll be interesting to see if Venables has success. It won’t surprise me either way, as I said in another thread these things are a crapshoot and hiring a coordinator is a bigger crap shoot.

Clemson dominates when they have an all world quarterback. Their offense is pretty average when they don’t.

It appears as if Venables is the guy OU covets…

If he goes, Clemson will still continue to be a very good football program, look what they’ve invested. But, as we all know, stays atop the power structure have typically been cyclical. Are they headed to the trough of their wavelength as opposed to riding the crest?

I’ll be interested to see if they can maintain their momentum. I think their biggest issue is lack of a game breaking QB, something they haven’t had to deal with in awhile for sure. Take away Venables and that’s another big ticket to contend with.

ACC looks like it’s going to be more competitive in the short term. Especially with Pickett going pro and Wake churning off a veteran roster. I think we may be in one of those times where things get jumbled a bit.

Here’s to hoping we’re poised to capitalize.
Lost opportunity this year, which was the year to do it. Win those last-second games -including Clemson!- and at 7-5 or better we’d be poised to pounce. Think we’re now in a very tough spot relative to the conference.

I watched some of Pitt last night and What when did they get Whipple at OC? I’m really out of it. Meanwhile we seem only to be able to hire guys who have taken the secret initiation ritual for whatever it is we’re trying to run.

Clemson dominates when they have an all world quarterback. Their offense is pretty average when they don’t.

You could say that about a lot of teams.

I believe they have the #1 QB in the 2021 class waiting in the wings.

They’ll also plug in a DC who can make it work out with all those 5 star recruits. If Venables left early in Debo’s tenure, things might have been different, but they’re probably too big to fail at this point.

You could say that about a lot of teams.

I believe they have the #1 QB in the 2021 class waiting in the wings.

They’ll also plug in a DC who can make it work out with all those 5 star recruits. If Venables left early in Debo’s tenure, things might have been different, but they’re probably too big to fail at this point.
I would tend to agree, I just think about all the teams with great runs… and how they eventually come back to earth.

But, I also believe the power and money structure is such now that it’s easier to maintain the stranglehold for top tier teams.

All of them, sans Alabama really, have ups and downs.

USC, Auburn, Oregon, FSU, Florida. Up to the top of the Ferris wheel and then back down before the next loop.

Clemson dropped off because QB play, OL play, and DL play

They were at elite levels for a decade. Once that dropped back to very good, they suffered some losses that weren't expected

Venables seems thin skinned.*

*based solely on how we heckled him at the Dome this year and how paranoid he was about thinking fans were looking into his sideline huddle and relaying plays. They don’t realize the Dome Wi-Fi sucks. He gave me quite a look when I said they were scared of Wake.

I would tend to agree, I just think about all the teams with great runs… and how they eventually come back to earth.

But, I also believe the power and money structure is such now that it’s easier to maintain the stranglehold for top tier teams.

USC, Auburn, Oregon, FSU, Florida. Up to the top of the Ferris wheel and then back down before the next loop.
Even Alabama. Watch what happens when Saban retires.

Think he will do well for the talent is there in TX/OK and with OU being a national football power…is a plus. Tornadoes a minus.

It could get start to crumble if Dabo left, but the recruiting machine is so cranked up right now and he’s the face of it.

They‘ve had to replace OCs and barely missed a beat. This was their “bad“ year they are a 9-3 team that Pitt was hoping wouldn’t make the ACC title game.

Venables always was mentioned for his alma mater Kansas State when Snyder retired, but I guess the timing or AD decision making never worked out.

Well it looks like it's over for us according to this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on a new team for me?
New York Jets

• Haha
Reactions: gbo
Well it looks like it's over for us according to this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on a new team for me?
I’m pretty sure nobody said it’s over… actually quite the contrary. Must feel different not to always shite rainbows though.