Class of 2017 - OL Tyran Hunt (VA) Grad Transfer from Maryland | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 OL Tyran Hunt (VA) Grad Transfer from Maryland

Watching college football live yesterday, when the coach came in to talk to the players a group of them walked out of the meeting.

I was listining to a Baltimore talk radio station this morning, and they said the UMD student government was planning a protest at Saturday's Twerp's game. FWIW, the hosts were upset with the UMD Board of Regents decision.

Another offensive lineman that has been in contact with Syracuse is Maryland transfer Tyran Hunt. Hunt signed with Maryland out of Southampton High School in Virginia. Syracuse was one of the schools that recruited him as a high school prospect. He is a graduate transfer with two years of eligibility remaining, according to a video on his Twitter account. Hunt says Syracuse is among the schools he has been in contact with since deciding to transfer. Hunt is listed at 6-foot-7, 312 pounds. He has been primarily a reserve lineman for the Terps during his collegiate career.

Another offensive lineman that has been in contact with Syracuse is Maryland transfer Tyran Hunt. Hunt signed with Maryland out of Southampton High School in Virginia. Syracuse was one of the schools that recruited him as a high school prospect. He is a graduate transfer with two years of eligibility remaining, according to a video on his Twitter account. Hunt says Syracuse is among the schools he has been in contact with since deciding to transfer. Hunt is listed at 6-foot-7, 312 pounds. He has been primarily a reserve lineman for the Terps during his collegiate career.

Thank god -- sign him up.

Take every olineman that weighs at least 300 lbs and let the spring sort out who plays. If any of the the backups show ability/interest on the dline, slide some of them over there.

That's basically a blueprint to getting us to where we are now with the O Line.

Agreed. I'm all in favor of bringing in transfers / JUCOs to bolster depth -- but they have to be able to play and challenge the two-deep.

Mike Clark looked great in the airport, but didn't see the field. If this kid can play, then bring him in. But if he's a warm body, hard pass.

Agreed. I'm all in favor of bringing in transfers / JUCOs to bolster depth -- but they have to be able to play and challenge the two-deep.

Mike Clark looked great in the airport, but didn't see the field. If this kid can play, then bring him in. But if he's a warm body, hard pass.

Yep. We have to have guys on the front end of the 2 deep at this point that are proven quantities that can play. Like Bleich for example or Koda Martin. If we're going to go the transfer route that's what we need.

Mike Clark was medically D’Qd

I know.

But he also didn't earn his way onto the field before that DQ in any meaningful capacity as part of the OL two-deep [especially given that he was listed as the day 1 RT starter prior to spring practice 2019]. He was 6-7 and in the neighborhood of 300 pounds -- it takes more than just size, or you're just a guy who looks impressive in the airport.

Last edited:
I know.

But he also didn't earn his way onto the field before that DQ in any meaningful capacity as part of the OL two-deep [especially given that he was listed as the day 1 RT starter prior to spring practice 2019]. He was 6-7 and in the neighborhood of 300 pounds -- it takes more than just size, or you're just a guy who looks impressive in the airport.

Yes he may have been medically DQ'ed but he never really contributed to the 2 deep either in 4 years. Saw some spot duty his RF year. He wasn't like Kyle Knapp for example, legit starter on the rise who got DQ'ed. Or Kris Curtis who was on the rise and would have been on the 2 deep.

Last edited:
I don’t really know the chain of events with Clark regarding his injuries, but as a redshirt freshman he played in all 12 games. He was on the field goal unit so that’s meaningful and it’s how they were cutting his teeth. As a sophomore and junior he played in zero games and was DQd his junior year due to concussions. His sophomore year was the 10-3 season, while we had starting tackles his DNPs were the likely result of injuries (I’ll have to research this point). I’m fairly certain he was projected to at least compete for a starting Tackle spot his junior year.

I understand your point about ‘warm’ bodies but Clark’s a bad example due to the injuries. It’s also reasonable to be patient with OL and see them begin to contribute by the junior year. Lots of examples of OL stepping in as first year starters their senior year and excel.

Last edited:
You are attributing WAY too much importance to playing on ST, which is what Clark did. Not saying that it isn't a valuable contribution, but it can't be disputed that he didn't crack the two deep in any meaningful way that resulted in PT.

Maybe he would have played his junior year. He WAS projected to compete, as you suggest -- he was listed as the first team RT at the beginning of spring ball prior to that year, but lost his spot to I believe Red, who was a true frosh who'd been on campus for two months. Read what you will into how that translates to the prospects of him getting PT as an upperclassman -- which is why I use him as the example to make my point. He was a big warm body.

The guy I'd really like to see us go after is Oklahoma Transfer EJ Ndoma-Ogar.

I know we've been kinda snake bit with OU transfers but maybe the third time is the charm.

They seemed to be pretty high on him as a young player moving up their depth chart. He opted out due to Covid then ultimately decided to put his name in the portal. He may want to stay closer to home in Texas but love his versatility on the interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom