Class of 2022 - OL Joe Cruz (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/2021) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 OL Joe Cruz (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/2021)

The Sizable Seven" of the '59 National Champions were all ends in HS. It's how Ben recruited. Different era to be sure, but they didn't get that nickname for being small.

Also take a look at the San Diego State roster. Only two OL's under 300 lb. Could be that's what Schmidt wants here

Also take a look at the San Diego State roster. Only two OL's under 300 lb. Could be that's what Schmidt wants here

These past couple of classes, we're definitely seeing the "template" for the type of OL we're targeting: guys who are 6-4, 6-5, or 6-6, who are in the 270 range as HS prospects, who have decent athleticism / lateral mobility / athleticism. Guys with big frames to easily add 30 pounds through the S&C program without sacrificing the athleticism. So, after a redshirt and maybe another year of seasoning, they are big enough and hopefully by then have improved their technique and knowledge of their assignments.

The factories get guys who are 6-6, already 300 pounds, and generally upper echelon athletes. They're able to hit the field sooner. We have to "grow" them by targeting guys who are a little "smaller" in terms of girth, but who have the frames to evolve into 300 pounders that will [on paper] give us parity.

Farming vs. hunting.

I also like that at a school like SDSU where they aren't getting blue chip linemen, that Schmidt has a decent track record of coaching such prospects up. He'll need to emulate that here.

These past couple of classes, we're definitely seeing the "template" for the type of OL we're targeting: guys who are 6-4, 6-5, or 6-6, who are in the 270 range as HS prospects, who have decent athleticism / lateral mobility / athleticism. Guys with big frames to easily add 30 pounds through the S&C program without sacrificing the athleticism. So, after a redshirt and maybe another year of seasoning, they are big enough and hopefully by then have improved their technique and knowledge of their assignments.

The factories get guys who are 6-6, already 300 pounds, and generally upper echelon athletes. They're able to hit the field sooner. We have to "grow" them by targeting guys who are a little "smaller" in terms of girth, but who have the frames to evolve into 300 pounders that will [on paper] give us parity.

Farming vs. hunting.

I also like that at a school like SDSU where they aren't getting blue chip linemen, that Schmidt has a decent track record of coaching such prospects up. He'll need to emulate that here.
Good post.

Strictly guessing, but it looks like Dino is accepting that the smaller, faster, better conditioned OL he could win with at BG and EI is getting blown off the line way too often in the ACC. I think the OL coaching philosophy and techniques taught by Cav also played a role.

I will be very interested to see what impact Schmidt has on OL recruiting, development, culture, and line play in the short and long term. I'm expecting a big bump in the running game, but the C position might limit the effectiveness this year.

Good post.

Strictly guessing, but it looks like Dino is accepting that the smaller, faster, better conditioned OL he could win with at BG and EI is getting blown off the line way too often in the ACC. I think the OL coaching philosophy and techniques taught by Cav also played a role.

I will be very interested to see what impact Schmidt has on OL recruiting, development, culture, and line play in the short and long term. I'm expecting a big bump in the running game, but the C position might limit the effectiveness this year.

C projects as the weak link. Will be interesting to see if Vetterello gets pushed by Froumy, Ialoa, this ASU transfer, or someone else.

Of if a RT emerges that pushes Servais back to C.

Right on. People are going to be frustrated because of the losing drought. Big offers and stars is what gives people hope. They have to realize its a combination of both. Syracuse has never had history of recruiting high profile offensive lineman. The freeze option didnt recquire stud lineman. A guy I played against in HS was a TE that wasnt highly recruited. SU made him a O lineman and he became a multi year starter. Made the NFL. There O lines were built with guys like that.
No Mark Baniwicz
Ha. He was on one of my little league teams. He was a year older than me and was much bigger than I was. He could really hit the ball.

Ha. He was on one of my little league teams. He was a year older than me and was much bigger than I was. He could really hit the ball.
Wasn't he in Parks and Rec too?

1629231644916.png

Last edited:

Farming vs. hunting.

Nice article on Cruz in Newsday today. Here are some highlights: he loved the Done, Dino gave him 2 days to commit, attends same HS as Jumbo Elliott and coach there sees similarities, has the grades to go Ivy, MD and other schools have contacted him but staying with Cuse.

Nice article on Cruz in Newsday today. Here are some highlights: he loved the Done, Dino gave him 2 days to commit, attends same HS as Jumbo Elliott and coach there sees similarities, has the grades to go Ivy, MD and other schools have contacted him but staying with Cuse.
"Dome" not "Done", but maybe the Dome is done!

Tall kid. Good size
Wonder if there's much other talent on long island this year?

Seems that's a place that's really dropped off in producing D1 kids

Wonder if there's much other talent on long island this year?

Seems that's a place that's really dropped off in producing D1 kids
Love it if SWA or Frontier have at least a couple flights a week from SYR to Long Island MacArthur. I'd imagine a ton of folks would love a Friday and Sunday flight option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom