Class of 2016 - OL Liam Smith (NJ) Verbal to Duke | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OL Liam Smith (NJ) Verbal to Duke

You know how crazy that sounds coming off a season where we snagged two good gets from Florida and Wiscy? We've won battles like that. And we are maybe 50% chance of landing a top RB. No one is blowing sunshine. These are facts.

Smith isn't that good. He's a good get and I wish we had him - but he's not far and away better than any of the top linemen we picked up the last two seasons.
I give the staff credit for getting two gets from Florida and Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean our staff is great at recruiting. When we overachieve in recruiting we will be in the 30's. These guys were great and I tip my cap to the staff, but it is not enough IMO to call them great at recruiting. We have gotten slightly better than Marrone's time, but not that much.

You know how crazy that sounds coming off a season where we snagged two good gets from Florida and Wiscy? We've won battles like that. And we are maybe 50% chance of landing a top RB. No one is blowing sunshine. These are facts.

Smith isn't that good. He's a good get and I wish we had him - but he's not far and away better than any of the top linemen we picked up the last two seasons.

I'd take Smith over any of the 5 guys we got last year. How is it even a comparison? None of the guys we got last year even had any ACC offers, and only Conway, and Adam (had 1) had P5 offers. Smith had Duke, Miami, Pitt, UVA, and WF.

How much time?
Dave Doeren came to NC State the same time Scott Shafer was hired to be the SU coach.According to ESPN and 247 in 2014 NC State had 34th best recruiting class and 7th in the ACC and in 2015 had the 30th best recruiting class and 6th in the ACC.
Syracuse in 2014 had the 50th in the nation and 10th in the ACC AND in 2015 we had 57th ranked in the nation and 12 in the ACC.

Nobody is calling Doeren great at recruiting. Cutcliffe had connections from his OC days at Tennessee and time as HC at Ole Miss. Plus, a Duke education appeals to some recruits.

And Doeren inherited a pretty good FB team from OBrien and still went 3-9 his first season and didn't win a single ACC game.

No offense but this is not the first time I have watched a rebuilding of a SU FB program. Everything is cyclical. I see progress so that is good for me but obviously for some it isn't fast enough.

I'd take Smith over any of the 5 guys we got last year. How is it even a comparison? None of the guys we got last year even had any ACC offers, and only Conway, and Adam (had 1) had P5 offers. Smith had Duke, Miami, Pitt, UVA, and WF.

Not sure how a kid who was an All-State Florida guy in Clausmann had no offers ... but when you get two linemen who even according to skout are 2 of the top tackles in the talent rich state of Florida I consider that a good haul. Adams was the top ranked OL in Connecticut and Conway was the 4th ranked lineman in ILL and had an offer from a P5 and received late interest from others.

Those kids also didn't do the camp circuit ... at least I know the Aquinas guys didn't. Are they as good as Smith? Probably not but look at the depth they pulled, 5 quality OL in that class. And again compare Denzel Ward's offer list to Smith's you will see that Ward had a much more impressive list to choose from ... he was even offered by OSU, would you rather have him or Smith?

A lot of offers and ranks are so damn subjective. I don't feel the staff are recruiting geniuses but I feel they are better than the previous staff and look as if they have a good opportunity to break through with the class they are currently working on. They need the momentum of a Washington type commitment and other dominoes will fall. I want it to get much better ... I want my early to mid 90s Cuse team back. I pray to God this staff can get us there but it is a long uphill climb.

I give the staff credit for getting two gets from Florida and Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean our staff is great at recruiting. When we overachieve in recruiting we will be in the 30's. These guys were great and I tip my cap to the staff, but it is not enough IMO to call them great at recruiting. We have gotten slightly better than Marrone's time, but not that much.
I agree with this

And Doeren inherited a pretty good FB team from OBrien and still went 3-9 his first season and didn't win a single ACC game.

No offense but this is not the first time I have watched a rebuilding of a SU FB program. Everything is cyclical. I see progress so that is good for me but obviously for some it isn't fast enough.

The team Doeren inherited lost a ton of talent from the prior season though ... you went from Glennon to Pete Thomas ... not exactly apples to apples with respect to talent.

Alsacs said:
How much time? Dave Doeren came to NC State the same time Scott Shafer was hired to be the SU coach.According to ESPN and 247 in 2014 NC State had 34th best recruiting class and 7th in the ACC and in 2015 had the 30th best recruiting class and 6th in the ACC. Syracuse in 2014 had the 50th in the nation and 10th in the ACC AND in 2015 we had 57th ranked in the nation and 12 in the ACC. Nobody is calling Doeren great at recruiting. Cutcliffe had connections from his OC days at Tennessee and time as HC at Ole Miss. Plus, a Duke education appeals to some recruits.

Are you sure nobody on their board is saying he is a great recruiter? Because that's the corollary. And I haven't said Shafer is. I just think your underrating this staff because you're grumpy from last season. It's better than it was - but it's not good enough. Fair?

(Also - we whipped on Doeren and will again - recruiting be damned).

Alsacs said:

What were Marrone's classes ranked?

anomander said:

Me too. I didn't say over - I said Smith isn't that much better. Big difference, IMO.

What were Marrone's classes ranked?
2012 Syracuse was ranked 61st overall and 11th in the ACC now. 2013 in the flux which I don't put on Shafer we finished 71st overall and 13th in the ACC. 2013 we lost several kids like Gus Edwards and Malik Brown because Marrone left.

Going from 61st to 57 and 50 means we have gotten better. However, SS is still not great. We need to be winning battles with ACC schools consistently for him to be a good recruiter.

Are you sure nobody on their board is saying he is a great recruiter? Because that's the corollary. And I haven't said Shafer is. I just think your underrating this staff because you're grumpy from last season. It's better than it was - but it's not good enough. Fair?

(Also - we whipped on Doeren and will again - recruiting be damned).
I deal with NC State fans here in Charlotte they don't think Doeren is great at recruiting. He is in line with how O'Brien did and the school always has brought in talent they just screw up deploying it smartly. I am not underrating the staff I am just not overrating mediocrity. This staff has done okay on recruiting not great. Acosta/Daoust have done really well, but overall we need more kids than half of our kids with legit ACC offers/peer schools offers for me to stay they are great.

Scott Shafer's last year just put him on notice. I want him to win and stay I just think this year is make it or good bye.

I deal with NC State fans here in Charlotte they don't think Doeren is great at recruiting. He is in line with how O'Brien did and the school always has brought in talent they just screw up deploying it smartly. I am not underrating the staff I am just not overrating mediocrity. This staff has done okay on recruiting not great. Acosta/Daoust have done really well, but overall we need more kids than half of our kids with legit ACC offers/peer schools offers for me to stay they are great.

Scott Shafer's last year just put him on notice. I want him to win and stay I just think this year is make it or good bye.
We don't fire coaches after 3 years, unless they do something morally wrong, so you are going to have to wait awhile to see Scott leave. Even Maloney got 7 years before he was let go, and his first 5 years were 2-9, 6-5, 3-8, 6-5, and 3-8, so don't expect anything to happen after this year.

We don't fire coaches after 3 years, unless they do something morally wrong, so you are going to have to wait awhile to see Scott leave. Even Maloney got 7 years before he was let go, and his first 5 years were 2-9, 6-5, 3-8, 6-5, and 3-8, so don't expect anything to happen after this year.
New athletic director will be entering the job this fall. Scott Shafer needs a bowl or atleast a really competitive program and 5 wins to remain as HC.

Scott Shafer has 2 years left on his contract if we don't get to a bowl game we can't extend him. If we can't extend him he can't recruit. Every team recruiting against him would have their angle. He needs a bowl and extension or wished well in his future endeavors. No lame dame coach.

Alsacs said:
New athletic director will be entering the job this fall. Scott Shafer needs a bowl or atleast a really competitive program and 5 wins to remain as HC. Scott Shafer has 2 years left on his contract if we don't get to a bowl game we can't extend him. If we can't extend him he can't recruit. Every team recruiting against him would have their angle. He needs a bowl and extension or wished well in his future endeavors. No lame dame coach.

I think everyone is working from that assumption. Smart money says that's true - but the BoT, etc. May have other ideas. I dunno. And I don't think you know for sure either.

But this year is huge.

New athletic director will be entering the job this fall. Scott Shafer needs a bowl or atleast a really competitive program and 5 wins to remain as HC.

Scott Shafer has 2 years left on his contract if we don't get to a bowl game we can't extend him. If we can't extend him he can't recruit. Every team recruiting against him would have their angle. He needs a bowl and extension or wished well in his future endeavors. No lame dame coach.
The new AD won't have the complete say with a new hire, after what transpired last time, Kent, and the BOT will decide when we look for a new coach.

Didn't even realize, but Smith probably committed yesterday because the day before they picked up another OT commit from Georgia who had offers from Bama, Auburn. Baylor, PSU, VT, etc etc etc.

Obviously i'm shocked by this. Until last year the program had a damn track around their football field.

Didn't even realize, but Smith probably committed yesterday because the day before they picked up another OT commit from Georgia who had offers from Bama, Auburn. Baylor, PSU, VT, etc etc etc.

Obviously i'm shocked by this. Until last year the program had a damn track around their football field.
Duke can be the Stanford of the ACC. They will get kids because of academics and with a smart coaching staff and smart scheduling can win 7-9 games a season easily and everyone in a while compete for conference titles.