Class of 2019 - OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville

Yeah - getting nothing done vs Holy Cross was a bad and foreboding sign of things to come.
HC was 2019...but yeah

2018 the schedule allowed us to get the defense under control to actually be decent

We played WMU in 18 and 19... fortunately we beat them both years... although '18 we were much better that day. Dino made a huge mistake pulling ED too early in '18

In 2018 I knew we had a good OL after the Western Michigan game.
We had a bunch of 4th and 1s in that game and the OL was getting push when WMU knew we were running.
If we get push off the LOS it will be noticeable against Ohio.

We have struggled getting any push off the LOS these last 2 years. The 2019 Holy Cross game scared me how little we got.
In the ND game last year the OL was actually getting some push which was a good sign.

In 2019, we lost our starting center early in the season. That necessitated Servais shifting back inside, after he'd spent the offseason dropping 25 pounds to enhance his ability to play outside at tackle. He just couldn't hold up inside at the point of attack, and we couldn't get any push.

I hope Dakota Davis is healthy this year. And what's the story with Pat Davis?

Will be interesting to see where Froumy / Ialoa project -- G or C.

For our fishes and loaves guys...are we looking at only 2 OL in '22 cycle?

I don't have time to weigh the exact numbers right now, but I'd expect more churn after the season.

Agreed.

Attrition happens EVERY offseason, and is based upon a bunch of circumstances that can't always be foreseen.
  • Players may be disqualified due to injuries.
  • Players may elect to "retire" due to injuries, even when not medically disqualified.
  • Players might flunk out of school.
  • Players might elect to transfer, in pursuit of more PT.
  • Players might be kicked out of school for misconduct.
  • Players might elect to leave because they've graduated, and don't want to play anymore.
  • Players might get "the talk" from the coaching staff that they aren't in the team's future plans.
And on and on and on. A combination of stuff happens every off-season.

Agreed.

Attrition happens EVERY offseason, and is based upon a bunch of circumstances that can't always be foreseen.
  • Players may be disqualified due to injuries.
  • Players may elect to "retire" due to injuries, even when not medically disqualified.
  • Players might flunk out of school.
  • Players might elect to transfer, in pursuit of more PT.
  • Players might be kicked out of school for misconduct.
  • Players might elect to leave because they've graduated, and don't want to play anymore.
  • Players might get "the talk" from the coaching staff that they aren't in the team's future plans.
And on and on and on. A combination of stuff happens every off-season.
There's also like 20 OLinemen on the roster right now, and while most of them are young, I'd expect building and development to continue.

But that's a total guess.

As long as a recruiting class doesn't get killed by career injuries like 2016, the staff should be able to handle attrition every year.

Huge -- figuratively and literally. The OL should have much improved depth, talent, and competition in 2021.

About damn time...

I haven't been following too much - but is there legit reason for hope for next year? Seems shoring up the oline and two legit QB's will really help assuming the defense is average.

I haven't been following too much - but is there legit reason for hope for next year? Seems shoring up the oline and two legit QB's will really help assuming the defense is average.
Yeah, there's legit reason for hope.

Enough of the defensive guys on the line came back to shore that up until our younger players are ready. There's talent in the secondary, just young. Same with the lbs. The defense could be better than average, especially with an offense that isn't a total dumpster fire supporting them.

Schedule isn't super daunting. QB depth is a lot better. So is RB depth, although it's sad we don't have Jordan anymore. WR unit should be solid. We have enough healthy bodies it seems like to field a competent offensive line finally. Schmidt has a great chance to be a difference maker by finding the right combination.

To echo what OttoinGrotto said ...there are many reasons for hope this year. Very many:

QB competition and capability this year is going to be a major step up ...Devito, Schrader, Morgan, Lamson

An offensive line coach who knows what the heck he is doing ...particularly in the run game, and knows how to coach the interior of the line ...which has been the bane of our existence in the run game

A PLENTIFUL class of offensive line recruits to choose from...to be sure we get the best players on the field and to sustain any injuries that might occur

A secondary that was SO young last season, but held together after being thrown in the fire, and has a year of experience under their belt

A linebacker unit that is arguably the best unit on the team

A defensive coordinator that knows what he is doing

A deep running back group

The weakness? Actually, the receivers. But that's with Harris and Queeley who are proven commodities

I'm super excited for next season. But take it with a grain of salt ...I was super excited for last season, and we see how that played out

To echo what OttoinGrotto said ...there are many reasons for hope this year. Very many:

QB competition and capability this year is going to be a major step up ...Devito, Schrader, Morgan, Lamson

An offensive line coach who knows what the heck he is doing ...particularly in the run game, and knows how to coach the interior of the line ...which has been the bane of our existence in the run game

A PLENTIFUL class of offensive line recruits to choose from...to be sure we get the best players on the field and to sustain any injuries that might occur

A secondary that was SO young last season, but held together after being thrown in the fire, and has a year of experience under their belt

The weakness? Actually, the receivers. But that's with Harris and Queeley who are proven commodities

I'm super excited for next season. But take it with a grain of salt ...I was super excited for last season, and we see how that played out

I’d add to both of your comments another name - Jason Simmons. Losing 3 upperclassman starters in the defensive backfield even with our young talent really stings. He’s at least 1 guy towards replenishing the upperclassman layer and looks pretty promising.

I think receivers can end up being a strength by the end of the year too. With improved o-line play Devito will have more time to throw. With that being said I hope they keep Harris in the slot because he really flourished there last year, keep Queeley outside as he started to find his role and play well out there. Now if one or 2 of Javonte Williams, Courtney Jackson, Alford or Pena step up this off season that’s a solid group. The freshman receivers Coming in as well are in my opinion the best group of receivers we have brought in since the Harris, Hendrix, etc...class especially Hatcher and Gadsden. I think one of those 2 gets some pretty significant snaps by the end of the year.

Portal pounded.

Big time.

Welcome aboard Mr. Tyler,

1618007879108.png

Yeah, I'm not saying that we're breaking into the top 25 or anything.

But we can definitely be one of those under the radar teams that quietly has a very strong season.

We need to get back to a bowl. We can. We have everything we need.

Yeah, I'm not saying that we're breaking into the top 25 or anything.

But we can definitely be one of those under the radar teams that quietly has a very strong season.

We need to get back to a bowl. We can. We have everything we need.
Yeah. I was thinking about this earlier. I think 8 wins can be the goal. But I will settle for 6 after the debacle of last season

If it doesn't work out on oline with him wonder if he'd be willing to move back to DT? Imagine a guy his size anchoring the middle of the dline

There was two really good articles about Willie. Sorry do not have the links. Mccalister had one. If you get a chance should take a look. Really good break down.

There was two really good articles about Willie. Sorry do not have the links. Mccalister had one. If you get a chance should take a look. Really good break down.

Post #52