Class of 2019 - OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville

He really does give us a lot of versatility. He was on the preseason 2 deep at Texas so that tells me he also wasn’t just “dead weight” that didn’t work out when he got into a big time program. Even if he doesn’t become a starter, it’s still quality 2 deep upperclassman depth which we desperately needed.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on how he and Bradford come along. Will also be interesting to see if see see any steps forward on the 2 deep taken by Froumy and Barclay.

He really does give us a lot of versatility. He was on the preseason 2 deep at Texas so that tells me he also wasn’t just “dead weight” that didn’t work out when he got into a big time program. Even if he doesn’t become a starter, it’s still quality 2 deep upperclassman depth which we desperately needed.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on how he and Bradford come along. Will also be interesting to see if see see any steps forward on the 2 deep taken by Froumy and Barclay.
And Ialoa.

And Cruz.

Night and day from the past 2 years.

Wasn’t Ialoa a good DT in HS?

With new OL depth, would Ialoa help create depth on the d-line?

I say, please no. Ilaoa looks like he is going to be one nasty o lineman. That and the fact we are really beginning to beef up our d line without him
Good point. I wasn’t sure about depth.

I haven't been following too much - but is there legit reason for hope for next year? Seems shoring up the oline and two legit QB's will really help assuming the defense is average.

I think so -- mostly due to vastly improved depth.

So, nothing is set in stone -- spring practice hasn't concluded. But last year, we couldn't even field a legitimate one-deep due to massive injuries. This year, it is shaping up to be a completely different situation. Let's just say [for argument's sake] that the starting OL unit is like this:

LT Bergeron
LG Bleich [Florida transfer]
C Vetterello
RG Davis
RT Servais

That's a group of experienced starters, with guys who have a lot of starts under their belts. I readily acknowledge that some of those personnel might shift around after spring / fall camps -- but I'm just penciling in names to show the depth changes.

Second unit might look something like this:

LT Cruz [top OL recruit we've landed in a long time, up to 290 reportedly]
LG Tisdale [starter for most of last year]
C Froumy [coaches loved him heading into last year, might have started if he hadn't gotten injured]
RG Ialoa
RT Red [coaches loved him heading into last year, might have started if he hadn't gotten injured]

Okay, so now we have a viable two-deep, with two guys who played last year, one guy who started, and two others who were strongly positioned to play, only to get injured and miss the entire year.

And that two deep hasn't even mentioned:
  • Barclay [OT prospect who redshirted last year]
  • Bradford [JUCO transfer]
  • Tyler [Texas transfer]

And outside of Cruz, I expect all of the incoming frosh to redshirt.

But what a difference -- to go from having to convert a fullback to OG as a stop-gap, to now having 13 guys with a viable chance to see the field.

Best depth, size, athleticism, and position versatility we've had in awhile at OL. That's the reason I'M optimistic.

Tyler mentioned when he spoke to Schmidt on the phone/zoom, they told him they see him as a Right Tackle in the offense.
We are in a pretty weird situation. We have a lot of experienced linemen who have either started or been in college programs for years. But as of today, not very many have set positions.

I think we can write Bergeron’s name in at LT in pen.

We can probably Dakota Davis’ name in at LG with ink as well, assuming he is 100%. He was hurt last year and while he returned late in the season, I don’t think he was at his best then. When he is right, I think he has proven he can be a good option at OG.

I expect Chris Bleich, if healthy, is going to start at RG. I don’t think he could have played last season even if the NCAA made him eligible. And I am not sure even today, he is 100%. But it looks like he is making progress and there is reason to think he will be where he needs to be come September.

I believe Airon Servais is going to start. He has way too much experience and talent not to. He did not play well last season but he played hurt to help the team and he is a lot better player than he showed last season.

I think the only question with him is where he starts. He has started at center and right tackle in the past. I think he is about the same level player at both positions. It might come down to where things stand with the other centers and tackles on the roster. If a center comes forward and plays really well, Airon probably ends up at RT. If a tackle emerges as a really strong player, Airon probably ends up at center.

I think the options at center are Carlos Vetterello, Josh Ilaoa, Wil Froumy and Airon. Carlos has experience but got dominated pretty badly last season. Serious improvement is needed for him to keep his starting job. Looks like Ilaoa might also be working at center. Froumy was going to be a big factor at center last season before he got hurt and Servais has a lot of experience at center as well.

I think any of these guys could win this job. Vet and Servais are probably most mobile. Froumy is the biggest and strongest.

At tackle, there are a lot of candidates. Servais is probably the favorite.

If Vet gets beat out at center by Servais, maybe he moves there. He started at tackle before moving inside.

Willie Tyler has prototype size and even though he has 3 years of eligibility left, he has been participating in college programs for years. I think it will be very tough for him to win a job immediately though not being here in the spring. The guys already here have a huge advantage.

The same applies to Enrique Cruz and the other frosh, along with JUCO transfer Jakob Bradford. It is going to be really hard to come in and win a starting position from day one.

I like the incoming guys a lot but it is asking a lot for one to step up immediately.

Maybe one of the returning players can set up. Garth Barclay, Pat Davis, or more likely, Mark Petry can do it.

In the end, I think Servais is going to end up at RT. It just seems unlikely to me someone else will be in a position to win the starting job,

I am thinking center is wide open. I could see players like Pat Davis and Darius Tisdale getting a shot, along with Vet, Ilaoa, Froumy and even walk on Josh Kosciol all in the mix. In the end, I think Froumy gets the job because I think he is the strongest, most physical option we have. We have been pushed around and abused inside for too many years. Dakota, Wil and Chris would be a pretty fearsome inside grouping. Can’t see any of them get pushed around or blown up. I can see them consistently opening holes and getting a push.

Wish there was more coverage available on what is going on. I like having a new OL coach. I think he will be a huge upgrade and will bring a new perspective and approach that is desperately needed to the unit.

Come on SUAD! Announce a spring game open to the public! Please! We fans have been waiting forever to see our team. Please don;’t make us wait until September.

We are in a pretty weird situation. We have a lot of experienced linemen who have either started or been in college programs for years. But as of today, not very many have set positions.

We can probably Dakota Davis’ name in at LG with ink as well, assuming he is 100%. He was hurt last year and while he returned late in the season, I don’t think he was at his best then. When he is right, I think he has proven he can be a good option at OG.

I expect Chris Bleich, if healthy, is going to start at RG. I don’t think he could have played last season even if the NCAA made him eligible. And I am not sure even today, he is 100%. But it looks like he is making progress and there is reason to think he will be where he needs to be come September.

I believe Airon Servais is going to start. He has way too much experience and talent not to. He did not play well last season but he played hurt to help the team and he is a lot better player than he showed last season.

I think the only question with him is where he starts. He has started at center and right tackle in the past. I think he is about the same level player at both positions. It might come down to where things stand with the other centers and tackles on the roster. If a center comes forward and plays really well, Airon probably ends up at RT. If a tackle emerges as a really strong player, Airon probably ends up at center.

I think the options at center are Carlos Vetterello, Josh Ilaoa, Wil Froumy and Airon. Carlos has experience but got dominated pretty badly last season. Serious improvement is needed for him to keep his starting job. Looks like Ilaoa might also be working at center. Froumy was going to be a big factor at center last season before he got hurt and Servais has a lot of experience at center as well.

I think any of these guys could win this job. Vet and Servais are probably most mobile. Froumy is the biggest and strongest.

If Vet gets beat out at center by Servais, maybe he moves there. He started at tackle before moving inside.

Willie Tyler has prototype size and even though he has 3 years of eligibility left, he has been participating in college programs for years. I think it will be very tough for him to win a job immediately though not being here in the spring. The guys already here have a huge advantage.

The same applies to Enrique Cruz and the other frosh, along with JUCO transfer Jakob Bradford. It is going to be really hard to come in and win a starting position from day one.

I like the incoming guys a lot but it is asking a lot for one to step up immediately.

Maybe one of the returning players can set up. Garth Barclay, Pat Davis, or more likely, Mark Petry can do it.

In the end, I think Servais is going to end up at RT. It just seems unlikely to me someone else will be in a position to win the starting job,

I am thinking center is wide open. I could see players like Pat Davis and Darius Tisdale getting a shot, along with Vet, Ilaoa, Froumy and even walk on Josh Kosciol all in the mix. In the end, I think Froumy gets the job because I think he is the strongest, most physical option we have. We have been pushed around and abused inside for too many years. Dakota, Wil and Chris would be a pretty fearsome inside grouping. Can’t see any of them get pushed around or blown up. I can see them consistently opening holes and getting a push.

Wish there was more coverage available on what is going on. I like having a new OL coach. I think he will be a huge upgrade and will bring a new perspective and approach that is desperately needed to the unit.

Come on SUAD! Announce a spring game open to the public! Please! We fans have been waiting forever to see our team. Please don;’t make us wait until September.

Terrific post Tom. It's going to be fascinating to see how the O-line shakes out. I agree with you that I don't see Servais not starting given he's the most experienced player on the line, although I hope Froumy or Red or Tyler push him for a starting job. Guys like Barclay and Petry have good upside, but I don't see them playing meaningful snaps for another year IMO.

We're definitely going to be bigger, stronger, and more athletic on the line this season. Now they need to be coached up well.

Last edited:

So, nothing is set in stone -- spring practice hasn't concluded. But last year, we couldn't even field a legitimate one-deep due to massive injuries. This year, it is shaping up to be a completely different situation. Let's just say [for argument's sake] that the starting OL unit is like this:

LT Bergeron
C Vetterello
RG Davis
RT Servais

That's a group of experienced starters, with guys who have a lot of starts under their belts. I readily acknowledge that some of those personnel might shift around after spring / fall camps -- but I'm just penciling in names to show the depth changes.

C Froumy [coaches loved him heading into last year, might have started if he hadn't gotten injured]
RG Ialoa
RT Red [coaches loved him heading into last year, might have started if he hadn't gotten injured]

Okay, so now we have a viable two-deep, with two guys who played last year, one guy who started, and two others who were strongly positioned to play, only to get injured and miss the entire year.

• Tyler [Texas transfer]

But what a difference -- to go from having to convert a fullback to OG as a stop-gap, to now having 13 guys with a viable chance to see the field.

Best depth, size, athleticism, and position versatility we've had in awhile at OL. That's the reason I'M optimistic.

Yeah that's what I was going to say.

LT Bergeron
C Vetterello
RG Davis
RT Servais

RG Ialoa

• Tyler [Texas transfer]

Vetterello needs to be replaced by someone at center. Two years of bad snaps, can't have a successful year if that continues.

As stated above, really like having a new set of eyes at OL coach. Though it wasn't all his fault, I can't believe they were going to bring back Cav with the OL results they've had the last 2 years.
I mentioned here at end of last season that if I'm Dino, if I'm goin down this year, I'm making sure I did anything and everything possible to improve the OL. With all the guys he brought in, looks like he agreed with me.

Vetterello needs to be replaced by someone at center. Two years of bad snaps, can't have a successful year if that continues.
I'm okay w/ an occasional bad snap if you can make consistent holes in the run game and not get bullrushed into the QB. I'm hoping he improves w/ a normal offseason and new coach.

This is really to only reason I want to go to the spring game, see how the ol is doing

Quick question for the group: has Tyler essentially taken the year off, due to opting out?

He didn't participate in fall team activities at Texas, correct? That might be a cause for concern [on paper] for a guy weighing north of 330 pounds, and in terms of immediate readiness.

He arrives in June, right?

Quick question for the group: has Tyler essentially taken the year off, due to opting out?

He didn't participate in fall team activities at Texas, correct? That might be a cause for concern [on paper] for a guy weighing north of 330 pounds, and in terms of immediate readiness.

Even if he hasn't been active (which I doubt), I'm sure the S&C staff has him on a workout routine, just like the 2021 HS signees are right now.

Yeah I think Bailey mentioned Tyler has been working out on his own since last Fall, and the staff has given him some OL drills to work on before he arrives in June.

6903252F-C891-4496-B4C2-1F38569433F8.jpeg