OL | Syracusefan.com

OL

Dodger44

Walk On
Reading all the posts about this transfer and that transfer being offered I have one question/statement. SU is looking to fix it's OL and DL with transfers. After 5 years of Babers recruiting for these positions. What does that really say about his recruiting. I know, some of you posters will say all schools do that. Really, then don't recruit, just fill the OL and DL with transfers. And High School recruits for the large part get red shirted and don't play much for 1-2 year (there are always the exceptions)

Reading all the posts about this transfer and that transfer being offered I have one question/statement. SU is looking to fix it's OL and DL with transfers. After 5 years of Babers recruiting for these positions. What does that really say about his recruiting. I know, some of you posters will say all schools do that. Really, then don't recruit, just fill the OL and DL with transfers. And High School recruits for the large part get red shirted and don't play much for 1-2 year (there are always the exceptions)

It says he sucks, they all suck, they should all be fired and the players cut.

Does that make you feel better?

Or the answer could be that there are VERY well documented reasons why they are looking to shore up two or three spots on an 85 man roster with some vets to bring class balance and additional talent to those positions.

If you are at all curious, do some research. You can find the answers here or on the newspaper site.

I don't see how we're trying to "fix" the DL with transfers. They might be looking to bolster depth by adding an interior DT / NT, but that's it.

OL has been an unmitigated disaster due to injuries these past two years. That's why they're trying to bring in a couple, on top of the 5 they recruited for the class of 2022. This one positional unit is the key to next year -- and the one that could have the biggest jump in performance if a few guys get healthy and depth is improved. Simple as that.

Leaned that watching politicians on TV. So here's the deal. You responded.

It says he sucks, they all suck, they should all be fired and the players cut.

Does that make you feel better?

Or the answer could be that there are VERY well documented reasons why they are looking to shore up two or three spots on an 85 man roster with some vets to bring class balance and additional talent to those positions.

If you are at all curious, do some research. You can find the answers here or on the newspaper site.

It will be interesting if Babers has 1-2 more losing seasons and is let go to see how many posters that are SU/Babers homers started posting about his short falls and why he was let go. Saw that with Shafer...The SU homers where all positive about him when he was announced as HC and when he left they all turned on him.

I'm and SU alum but I don't rah rah everything SU. SU sports has its good positive points and they have negative points. But on this SU homer board if you point them the bad points out, the homers come out of the woodwork to jump on you. If Babers was a student his 5 year grades would be; F,F,A,F, F. He would be on probation or dismissed from school. The SU homers on this board would let him coach for 20 years with this type of record and say "But next year we are turning the corner". Right now this program is mirrored in mediocrity. There's reality and SU homer reality.

I'm and SU alum but I don't rah rah everything SU. SU sports has its good positive points and they have negative points. But on this SU homer board if you point them the bad points out, the homers come out of the woodwork to jump on you. If Babers was a student his 5 year grades would be; F,F,A,F, F. He would be on probation or dismissed from school. The SU homers on this board would let him coach for 20 years with this type of record and say "But next year we are turning the corner". Right now this program is mirrored in mediocrity. There's reality and SU homer reality.
By any chance were those your grades in Language Arts at SU?

"Leaned that watching politicians"

"The SU homers where all positive"

"Mirrored in mediocrity"

God, you're annoying.

Anyone with any sense realizes Syracuse didn't fire Babers this year because their finances took the COVID hit just like everyone else's did, and they don't have the boosters like deep pockets to bail them out like Auburn and Texas.

No one is thrilled about the situation, but it's more fun to talk about what could be and what might be done in 2021 instead of just sitting around and sharpening sticks.

I think keeping Dino is a lot better than starting another five year plan. All a new coach does is give us another three years of excuses until he gets his own players. We’re just starting to make some inroads with recruiting. I’m not in a hurry to start all over again. If he won ten games once, he can do it again.

"Mirrored in mediocrity"

Actually I'm a Computer Sciences major with a MBA. I get the finances, Covid impact but in the NFL Babers would be gone. And at a lot of Div 1 programs he would be gone. As to the recruiting getting better, we've heard that every year. The proof is on the field. If the recruits are better then the results should be better, if not then it can only be coaching. Fans will be happy with a + .500 record and a minor bowl game consistently. Not every 3 + years. 1/2 filled Dome crowds tell the story. People come to see winners. Imagine what the crowds would have looked like this year at the mid point of the season. Imagine how many fans would have been in the stands at the 4th quarter. How does North Dakota State, a FCS level team recruit and develop Carson Wentz a 1st round NFL pick and have another one (according to Mel Kiper) in Trey Lance ? Why have we struggle to get a QB or developed depth at QB in 5 years ?

Actually I'm a Computer Sciences major with a MBA. I get the finances, Covid impact but in the NFL Babers would be gone. And at a lot of Div 1 programs he would be gone. As to the recruiting getting better, we've heard that every year. The proof is on the field. If the recruits are better then the results should be better, if not then it can only be coaching. Fans will be happy with a + .500 record and a minor bowl game consistently. Not every 3 + years. 1/2 filled Dome crowds tell the story. People come to see winners. Imagine what the crowds would have looked like this year at the mid point of the season. Imagine how many fans would have been in the stands at the 4th quarter. How does North Dakota State, a FCS level team recruit and develop Carson Wentz a 1st round NFL pick and have another one (according to Mel Kiper) in Trey Lance ? Why have we struggle to get a QB or developed depth at QB in 5 years ?

SU isn't in the NFL, and the NFL has a lot more competitive balance than college football for a variety of reasons. Not sure how you don't understand that.

Last edited:
I think keeping Dino is a lot better than starting another five year plan. All a new coach does is give us another three years of excuses until he gets his own players. We’re just starting to make some inroads with recruiting. I’m not in a hurry to start all over again. If he won ten games once, he can do it again.
Absolutely this. Every time we get a new coach, the board is like "the last coach left the cupboard bare ...let him get his recruits." Wash, rinse, repeat

Because devito sucks, and didn't live up to his recruiting ranking?

Between that, and chance being a knucklehead and having to leave school, missing on those first two QBs has been a big setback.

"Mirrored in mediocrity"
His first two years were F's. At some point, you have to realize where we were when he came here. In those two years, we were slowly getting better. We had quality wins vs Va Tech and Clemson. Then we won 10 games. Now, no question the last two years would get F's. And if you think he should be fired for that, that is your right. But it is ridiculous to link the first three years with the last 2 years.
As for the QB stuff. It's not just the last 5 years. I started school in the mid 70's. We have had a grand total of one qb make the NFL as a starter. We had some guys make it as back ups, not many, but Todd Philcox, Don McPherson, Ryan Nassib did make it to the NFL as back ups. 3 guys. That isn't just Dino.

This has been talked about extensively here for years. We know the line isnt good. lol. He is obviously trying to fix it.

I'd grade him C, D, A, D, F

It will be interesting if Babers has 1-2 more losing seasons and is let go to see how many posters that are SU/Babers homers started posting about his short falls and why he was let go. Saw that with Shafer...The SU homers where all positive about him when he was announced as HC and when he left they all turned on him.
One might say his performance was the thing that changed their opinions

1) You're a computer sciences major? Is your code as rambling and incoherent as your posts tend to be?
2) A lot of Div 1 programs have way bigger alumni bases and therefore a more boosters with money to burn. Makes a difference when trying to dump your coach or build a bigtime program.
3) Recruiting blah, blah. It's all been discussed before.
4) Winners blah, blah. It's all been discussed before.
5) Wentz is from Bismarck, Lance is from 3 hours west of Minneapolis. Not exactly recruiting hotbeds for FBS, which helps explain how they ended up at NDSU.

What are you trying to prove? Yeah, recruiting hasn't been great, the development hasn't been great, and the results speak for themselves.

There are a lot of smart, interesting, well-connected, and well-educated people on this board. Shut up and listen instead of acting like you're somehow the smartest person in the room for saying things that everyone else got tired of saying five years ago. Maybe you'll learn something.

I'd give him a C, C, A, D, F.

The C the second year is based upon Dungey getting injured, and the Clemson win.

These are pretty close to my grades, particularly the first 2 years. They were definitely not A's but showed enough to definitely be better than F's

There is no upside to being negative about these things IMO. Focus on the positive. Recognize some deficiencies. Hope measures are taken to rectify the situation. Expect success. We’re fans on a fan message board. We don’t change anything. Try it enjoy it.

Come on people and let’s all be cool for this is only a game. We should all agree that the Cuse football program sucks and hopefully it will get better. No need to blast peoples grades for my grades at the Cuse weren’t good and I am doing quite well financially. We start winning and I will begin donating again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom